Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 304 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 2000, SDRAM was replaced with the massive upgrade that was Double Data Rate (DDR) RAM. 2003 saw the introduction of DDR2 and even that was replaced in 2007 by DDR3. Skylake was released and with its introduction ushered in the widespread adoption of DDR4.

Mega Memory Madness is all about showing off your memory tweaking prowess. From the legendary Micron D9s to Samsung's B-die, its time to push those sticks to their limits and take home the prestige, honor (and cash) as Overclock.net's Mega Memory Madness Champion.

In order to be the Mega Memory Madness Champion you will have to top every other RAM overclocker in two of the three classes. Each type of RAM (DDR2, DDR3, and DDR4) makes its own class, and each class requires 3 scores. Two of the scores use Performance Test benchmark Suite, specifically the Advanced Memory Tests, and the last is your all-out max frequency in that type of RAM.

Now, its time to show off your RAM.

COMPETITION CLOSES IN:

red_1462075199.png

BENCHMARK: Performance Test - Advanced Memory Tests

[LINK]

BENCHMARK: CPU-Z MEMORY VALIDATION

[LINK]

PRIZES

1ST PLACE - $60

2ND PLACE - $40

3RD PLACE - $25

4th thru 100th PLACE - HEARTY CONGRATULATIONS

GENERAL RULES

- You may compete in all 3 classes (DDR2, DDR3, and DDR4) if you wish. Only the scores in your top two classes will earn points towards your total.

- You may use any operating system you wish.

- Any hardware, including engineering samples, is legal.

- You must use the competition background for your screenshots.

- Do not edit your submissions. If changes are needed, make an entirely new post.

- All validations must be after after April 1.

- Any method of cooling is allowed.

- Pictures of the actual sticks of RAM are not required, but highly encouraged.

- 3:5 divider for Intel Socket 775 chipsets is banned.

COMPETITION BACKGROUND

MemoryMadnessBackground.jpg 1,266k .jpg file

SUBMISSION RULES

Performance Test - DDR2, DDR3 & DDR4 Classes

How do I even get a score in this benchmark?

- Download the benchmark from the link provided above. The benchmark has a 30-day evaluation period that should allow you to make as many runs as you wish for the length of the competition.

- Install the benchmark.

- Open the benchmark and you should see a screen that looks like this one below:

The Advanced Tests can be found under the Advanced tab as seen above.

Next you want to head to the advanced Memory tests.

Two of the three tests for each class can be found here. The first is the Average Memory speed test. You can find the options shown below. Make sure you set these correct or you will not get a useable score.

Now simply the GO button and you will be on the way to your first set of scores.

Once the test is complete, push the "Graphing..." button and you can see your score

Now you can complete a screenshot using three instances of CPUz. One showing CPU details, one the Memory timings, and the third showing the SPD tab and your memory details.

The second portion of the benchmark is the Latency Test.

Once you run this, you will get three latency scores. These are the latency numbers that will make up your score for the benchmark. They should pop up in a separate box. Now you can complete your screenshots again using three instances of CPUz and this pop-up box.

- You must use Performance Test v8.0 or later

- Each submission must have a screenshot with the competition background and three instances of CPUz open. One showing the CPU details, one showing your Memory timings, and the third showing your SPD data and memory details.

- Your Memory Speed Test screenshot must show the graph and results of the test.

- Your Latency Test must show the latency scores in the pop-up box at the completion of the test.

- You must make a separate Memory Speed Test and Latency Test screenshot.

EXAMPLE: Memory Speed

EXAMPLE: Latency Test

CPUZ - Max Frequency

- The validation date must be April 1, 2016 or later

- You must provide the validation link

- You may use any type of RAM you wish (No limit of type of RAM)

You can validate your memory frequency in two ways using CPUz. If your computer is connected to the internet you can do the validation directly from the CPUz program. If your computer is not attached to the internet you can still get a validation using the manual method.

First step, you need to open CPUz and then move to the ABOUT tab.

Once you get to the ABOUT tab you need to push the Validation button near the bottom.

Once you get to this point you will have to decide if you wish to do the validation online or offline (manual). If you decide to go the online method, you have to fill out your username and a valid email. This is where the validation link will be sent.

You should receive your link in your email and that is the one needed for the competition. If you are using the manual method then go to the bottom of the screen and push the "SAVE VALIDATION FILE"

This will place a .cvf file inside the CPUz folder directly where it was installed. You can copy the file from there. You need to upload this file to the CPUz Validator page. You can find the page [here]

Once you find the page, scroll down to the bottom and find the Manual Verification Form.

Once you fill out the information needed, push the "VALIDATE" button and you will get the details and link for your validated system.

FAQ

Whhhaaaatttttt??? Please make sense... I have some DDR4 what do I have to do?

You will need 3 scores. Run Performance Test Suite 8.0 or newer to find your Average Memory Speed and the Latency Test. Look at the Performance Test guide on the proper way to do it. Your last score will be the max frequency validation using CPUz, if you are having trouble validating your score, have a look at the CPUz validation guide.

Alright, alright. I have the two screenshots and the validation link but how do the points even work?

Each of the Performance Test scores and your frequency validation are ranked against the other submissions in your class (DDR2, DDR3, or DDR4). The highest Average Memory Speed in the class will score 25 pts, the lowest cumulative latency will score 25 pts, and the highest frequency will give 25 pts. The maximum anyone can receive in a class is 75 points. You are welcome to submit or update one or all of your scores at any time.

Wait, I have three scores in Latency Test which do I need?

You need all three. Your latency score is a sum of all three scores, the Linear, the Random and the Random Range. Be careful when you are updating your scores, just because one is lower doesn't mean the sum of all three is lower. You may end up with a worse score when you add the three latency together.

Performance Test seems to hard, I'll win by just submitting Max Frequency in each class.

You are welcome to submit to any and all classes you want. You can submit one, or two, or all three scores for any of the classes. Only your best two classes will count. Each type of RAM is scored out of a total of 75 points (25pts for each of Performance Test Memory Speed, Performance Test Latency Test, and Max Frequency for a total of 75 points). If you only submit one score in each of the three classes the most you can possibly get is 50 points, since only your best two classes will count.

I got 900Mhz on my DDR2 but it doesn't count, you mad bro? Why is the 3:5 divider banned when using Socket 775?

The 3:5 divider is broken and is actually running 2:3 when using the Intel chipsets, P35/P45/X38/X48. If you want more information and proof you can read through this thread. [LINK]

RAM overclocking seems too tough, can we just have a Gigabyte X58-OC socket 1366 competition?

No, expand your horizons.

Ummm...why the goats in competition background?

They are rams, if you squint and had a few too many beers. Deal with it.

LEADERBOARD

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15BqKlSnWfLcok8m8V9H65ysDYdVxaz6OyY9qS89zt7E/pubhtml?gid=0&output=html&widget=true

·
AMD Overclocker
6,277 Posts
Ill bring some tomorrow!!!! Ill see how both my Micron and SAMSUNG produced Corsair Vengeance 2133 cl 11's perform. I know I can get 2400MHz at CL9 on the sammies.

Is there anything about how many channels you need to run? Amount of sticks? Might there be a classing separation for say a Dual, Triple and Quad channel classes. Like we had in the fanboy comp with X1, X2, X3 and X4 classes. Cause obviously in terms of memory bandwidth I don't stand a bleeding chance in hell against a quad channel Intel build with my AMD system.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair View Post

Ill bring some tomorrow!!!! Ill see how both my Micron and SAMSUNG produced Corsair Vengeance 2133 cl 11's perform. I know I can get 2400MHz at CL9 on the sammies.

Is there anything about how many channels you need to run? Amount of sticks? Might there be a classing separation for say a Dual, Triple and Quad channel classes. Like we had in the fanboy comp with X1, X2, X3 and X4 classes. Cause obviously in terms of memory bandwidth I don't stand a bleeding chance in hell against a quad channel Intel build with my AMD system.
Except that every extra channel stresses the IMC more, quad channel usually cannot clock nearly as high as dual or even single, even the number of GB of RAM you are using can make a difference. Its a balancing act to find out what works best for each platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblock990 View Post

Subbed so I don't forget
smile.gif

New to memory OC so this should be fun. I have ddr4 x99, ddr3 z87, and ddr2 775
There ya go, a score in each class probably makes sense for this one.

·
Registered
35 Posts
So I've had the benchmark installed for ages and no longer have access to the advanced tab. Guess that means I need to either run a fresh install to regain access, or pay these guys for their software?

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagget3450 View Post

Subbed as well, i'll try to see what i can muster. I don't have much ddr2 laying around though :-(
Remember, only 2 scores count towards your total. You can submit anyway you wish, DDR4 and Max Frequency, or DDR3 and DDR4, DDR2 and Max Frequency, or submit in all the classes and let the chips fall where they may.

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouquin View Post

So I've had the benchmark installed for ages and no longer have access to the advanced tab. Guess that means I need to either run a fresh install to regain access, or pay these guys for their software?
Yes, I didn't think that anyone would have actually used it since it's not a well known suite for benchmarking. Of course, if you install on a new drive the evaluation period resets as well.

·
Expert pin bender
2,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasparthe View Post

Remember, only 2 scores count towards your total. You can submit anyway you wish, DDR4 and Max Frequency, or DDR3 and DDR4, DDR2 and Max Frequency, or submit in all the classes and let the chips fall where they may.
No problem here, if anything i want to participate for fun. Given i am a noob with overclocking ram ensures that
biggrin.gif
I think these comps with prizes are really neat and hope it will encourage many to participate!
thumb.gif

·
Registered
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasparthe View Post

Yes, I didn't think that anyone would have actually used it since it's not a well known suite for benchmarking. Of course, if you install on a new drive the evaluation period resets as well.
Alright I'll give it a go. Yeah I've used this bench a few times before and just left it installed.

·
Not a Fan
2,648 Posts
I might have a shot here, my Passmark score was lower than an i5-4570, I bet my RAM score won't beat dual channel DDR2.

·
Registered
35 Posts
No dice. Ran the install on all three drives and it didn't reset. Guess I'm out of this unless I clear a drive and do a fresh OS.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duality92 View Post

you're missing cpu-z validations!
You just ruined all my fun. I'm going to cry myself to sleep now.

Edit: ever notice how something is funny to you and only you, when you've had one too many glasses of wine?

I'm there.

1 - 20 of 304 Posts