Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm currently planning my first rig and had some trouble choosing adequate cooling fans.

I want to get a Megahalem heatsink and I'm hesitating between those fans:

1- Panaflo 2100 RPM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835705002
2- S-Flex G 1,900rpm http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/ac...ex_detail.html

Both in push/pull. As you can see, the panaflos are 38mm fans while the S-Flex are 25mm. The thing is I'd prefer the panaflos, but I heard there could already be some clearance problem with fans on the Megahalem (blocking 1st and even 2nd DIMM slot) with 25mm ones depending on the motherboard.

Just asking if anyone with a Rampage 2 Extreme board and a Megahalem could provide me with information about this issue (btw I do not wish to put the Megatron in a north/south position). Also, in case of clearance problem, would low profile RAM (like the OCZ gold) still fit?

·
Premium Member
17,407 Posts
When I ran a TRUE with a pair of 38mm KAZE using a 25mm spacer, I had to mod the fan mount so that the fan was above the ram slot. IDK if this helps, but I thought it was better then nothing.

I have since turned my TRUE 90° and mounted a pair of the 1900 S-Flex.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericeod View Post
When I ran a TRUE with a pair of 38mm KAZE using a 25mm spacer, I had to mod the fan mount so that the fan was above the ram slot. IDK if this helps, but I thought it was better then nothing.

I have since turned my TRUE 90° and mounted a pair of the 1900 S-Flex
Indeed modding would pretty much solve my problem, but this computer is going to be my first experience with computer hardware (unless installing a video card counts
) and I don't feel quite comfortable with modding atm.

Although, looking at your picture gave me a better idea of the space taken by the heatsink and fans on the Rampage (Megatron being 11mm or so wider than the TRUE).

So I think I'm going to go conservative and try the S-Flex first. Maybe it'll cover the first DIMM slot but I was not intending to use it anyway.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
I've just ordered my Megahalems and 2 S-Flex "G" fans, so they'll come probably Tuesday. If I was using a 38mm fan, then it'll most likely block the first slot of my RAM on the P6T6 WS Revolution and possibly touching the second RAM slot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
yeah, I have Prolimatech Megahelems on the Rampage II Extreme. It's a helluva tight fit, especially because i run my Megahelems with two fans. Setting it up was NOT pleasant, but I never risked damaging anything either. I use 3 dimms of 2Gb RAM, and it just barely fits. I don't think you can force 6 dimms in there.

(I would think that anyone needing 12Gb of RAM would have to have some very pequliar hardware needs. Doing so would actually degrade general system performance, not improve it, in my opinion.)

BTW, Megahelems on a Rampage II is pretty high end as far as air cooling goes, IMO. As for installation, you're certainly gonna wanna take out the mobo tray, and if you don't have a tray, you may be screwed. A fulltower is also probably required. Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts