Overclock.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on going with Megahalem for Core i5 750 build. The Fans I'm considering are the Scythe S-Flex, Scythe Gentle Typhoons, or maybe Nexus Basic because I want quiet fans but also want to OC. The i5 tends to run cooler than i7s so I'm thinking I can get by without high output fans. Any recommends between those fans? Would your recommendation change if I went with the Venomous-X instead?

·
Premium Member
6,908 Posts
Yup, like Raiden911 said, out of all those fans on your list, Scythe Gentle Typhoon is the one I'd recommend also. I'm using Panaflo right now and don't get me wrong, they're good just a bit noisy for my taste.

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
san ace h101!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are there any mounting issues? I've been reading some people having problems mounting the GT's to the Mega because part of the corners are blocked off. Do the brackets attach to the outside of the fan or in the middle?

·
Retired Reviewer
10,099 Posts
I have all of the fans on your list. While I haven't tested them rigorously yet, I did test them informally.

Gentle Typhoon 1850 - D1225C12B5AP-15. 9-bladed fan. 1839 rpm. At 3652 MHz, idled at 690 rpm, 42.5 dBA, 35/24c. With LinX running: 1772 rpm, 49 dBA, 70(71)/59c.

Scythe S-Flex SFF-21G 1923 rpm. I believe these fans are identical to the Thermalright TR-FDB series. At 3652 MHz, idle 672 rpm, 42.5 dBA, 35/25c. LinX: 1824 rpm, 53.5 dBA, 69(71)/58c.

Nexus D12SL-12 Real Silent Case Fan, Basic Series. 1138 rpm. At 3652 MHz, idle 581 rpm, 40.5 dBA. 38/28c. LinX: 1130 rpm, 42 dBA, 76(77)/64c

The temps are average core temp(max core temp)/ihs sensor temp. On the i7 860, the ihs temp should not exceed 72c.

The sound levels were taken at 10cm, so subtract 20dB to get SPL at 1 meter. Ambient temps were around 18c.

HTH.

·
Super Moderator
19,300 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by letsrahk
View Post

Can the Gentle Typhoon with the included 4pin adapter be run PWM on MOBO's?

GentleTyphoons don't use PWM or even have the pin for it... they're normal 3-pin fans (power + tach signal).

·
Retired Reviewer
10,099 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Are there any mounting issues? I've been reading some people having problems mounting the GT's to the Mega because part of the corners are blocked off. Do the brackets attach to the outside of the fan or in the middle?

Actually, it's with other coolers that you sometimes run into problems. With the Megatron, the clips reach around behind the fan. It doesn't matter if you have open corners or closed corners.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunky_Chimp View Post
GentleTyphoons don't use PWM or even have the pin for it... they're normal 3-pin fans (power + tach signal).
Hmmm. Would you happen to know then if used on like an ASUS P7P55D-E Pro board if the asus q-fan or other program would be able to have some speed control over that fan? Or would I need to use a separate fan controller?

·
Super Moderator
19,300 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Hmmm. Would you happen to know then if used on like an ASUS P7P55D-E Pro board if the asus q-fan or other program would be able to have some speed control over that fan? Or would I need to use a separate fan controller?

I wouldn't know if Asus' software could control it, but supposedly SpeedFan can do it, I think. Otherwise yes, you'd need a separate fan controller.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunky_Chimp
View Post

I wouldn't know if Asus' software could control it, but supposedly SpeedFan can do it, I think. Otherwise yes, you'd need a separate fan controller.

q fan does my gt's

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.