Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a WC loop on the classifieds, i know it may not be the best set-up but i want something to get into WCing

here is the description

Quote:
EK Supreme: With clear and black acetal top, can be mounted on 775, 1156 and 1366, amazing block.

Corsair Laing D4: Bit noisy, but has very good flowrate and plenty of head, comes with sleeved cable.

Swiftech Micro-Res V2: Has some stains on the inside, overall good condition, comes with mounting equipment.

XPSC RS240: Some bent fins and scratches, still cools very well and makes a great reservoir for fitting in most cases, will come with 2 sleeved Zalman ZM-F3 fans!

3/8" ID - 1/2" OD Tubing: Grey/UV Blue, Feser made, very good quality, about 2m worth cut into segments.

Collection of Phobya Compression fittings: Nickel and Silver, 4 x 45 degree, 4 x straight, some scratches from wrench, fits above tubing.
i want to know how this will perform, i will probably upgrade to a full 1/2 ID tubing, and slowly upgrade over time, i want some experienced WC'ers to tell me 'calibre' this loop is, is it better/worse than a megahalems/ corsair h50?

thanks

·
Registered
547 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by antipesto93
View Post

I purchased a WC loop on the classifieds, i know it may not be the best set-up but i want something to get into WCing

here is the description

i want to know how this will perform, i will probably upgrade to a full 1/2 ID tubing, and slowly upgrade over time, i want some experienced WC'ers to tell me 'calibre' this loop is, is it better/worse than a megahalems/ corsair h50?

thanks

I used a TRUE for a year and had ~14c Delta Temp on idle and ~40c on load. Now it's 9c on idle and ~30c on load for a 3x 120 rad. The Megahalems performs a few Cs better than the TRUE so you can extrapolate the temps.

Wes

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Boyboyd
View Post

That's not a bad setup at all, it'll beat a megahalem.

What do you plan to liquid cool with it?

will be cooling just my i7-920, should get to 4.2ghz? - my megahalem could only get to 3.6 (hot summer!)

i have distilled water + PT nuke (should be ok?)

the only thing i am worried about is the possibility of it leaking, but i understand i should leak test for a few hours?....also are barbs the best thing to prevent leaks? ( or compression...)

i will probably get new fittings and hose (so that i can get larger hose size)

Do i need 6 or 8 fittings? (barbs, 1/4bspp , 1/2 )
http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/14...hrome_842.html

i thought i needed 6 (2 for rad, 2 for res and 2 for block) but im not sure if the Pump needs some? as it might have them build in?

·
Premium Member
16,094 Posts
Honestly, i prefer worm drives. But some people find them a bit fiddley. And whatever you choose, get too many.

Distilled water + PT nuke is fine. I wouldn't bother with any dye, as it clogs up your loop and needs cleaning. Boots sell distilled water by the gallon but you have to give them 24 hours notice.

Everyone's worried about it leaking, but if you leak test thoroughly it shouldn't be a problem.

It should get your 920 to 4.2GHz, but the temperature isn't the only factor.

My megahalem gets my Q6600 to 3.6, and it's a hotter chip than the 920 :s

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
Should be a great setup. EK makes some great blocks. Enjoy the water man.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lwesley
View Post

I used a TRUE for a year and had ~14c Delta Temp on idle and ~40c on load. Now it's 9c on idle and ~30c on load for a 3x 120 rad. The Megahalems performs a few Cs better than the TRUE so you can extrapolate the temps.

Wes

Must be pretty cool where you are at or a ac blasting all day long. Very nice temps indeed.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Boyboyd
View Post

Honestly, i prefer worm drives. But some people find them a bit fiddley. And whatever you choose, get too many.

Distilled water + PT nuke is fine. I wouldn't bother with any dye, as it clogs up your loop and needs cleaning. Boots sell distilled water by the gallon but you have to give them 24 hours notice.

Everyone's worried about it leaking, but if you leak test thoroughly it shouldn't be a problem.

It should get your 920 to 4.2GHz, but the temperature isn't the only factor.

My megahalem gets my Q6600 to 3.6, and it's a hotter chip than the 920 :s

thats great,
i got distilled water from my local chemist ( turns out most chemists stock it!) and they had 5l bottles for like 3 pounds ^^

not going to use dye, will most likely get sold white colour tubing.

i am going to keep most of the system external.
I will mount the rad and res on the rear of the case, and then only the pump and block inside, so the only way water can get to the major components is if the water block fails/breaks/leaks

·
Premium Member
16,094 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by antipesto93
View Post

thats great,
i got distilled water from my local chemist ( turns out most chemists stock it!) and they had 5l bottles for like 3 pounds ^^

not going to use dye, will most likely get sold white colour tubing.

i am going to keep most of the system external.
I will mount the rad and res on the rear of the case, and then only the pump and block inside, so the only way water can get to the major components is if the water block fails/breaks/leaks

That's very wise. I never thought of that, lol.

Solid white tubing looks really nice, makes it look like a milk-cooled PC though.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_K View Post
Should be a great setup. EK makes some great blocks. Enjoy the water man.

Must be pretty cool where you are at or a ac blasting all day long. Very nice temps indeed.

Hey man,

It's 29-30c here. I use delta temp (temp difference) else it doesn't make much sense. :) My 920 runs @ 4ghz HT at 38-39c on idle.

Wes

1 - 9 of 9 Posts