Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, my patriot ram doesn't want to go any higher than about 166mhz. It is supposed to be at 200mhz. In bios it says 200mhz. What should I do. I heard things like, "You need to update your bios." and, "It is your divider." So, what do I do?
Thanks!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Update your BIOS and change your divider? lol

Well if you don't know how to update your BIOS, you can find out exactly how by going to your motherboard manufacturer's website and finding your specific model of motherboard. Look for the BIOS updates. It will tell you step-by-step how to flash your BIOS via boot disk.

Also, to change your FSB:RAM ratio, simply set your FSB different than your RAM... what I mean is, a 1:1 ratio would be a FSB of 166 MHz running n'sync with a RAM frequency of 166 MHz. A Ratio of 5:4 would be a FSB of 250 MHz running with a RAM frequency of 200 MHz. Simple division and multiplication.

Also, it would help if you specified what speed your RAM is (PC2100, PC2700, PC3200. Also known as DDR266, DDR333, and DDR400 respectively).

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, and on CPUz it says FSB
RAM is CPU/14 IDK what in the world that means, but if it helps you help me, then great! Also, I can get you screen shots if you need them.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

It will tell you step-by-step how to flash your BIOS via boot disk.

Yeah about that, my floppy drive (that i bought OEM off of newegg), isn't working, I hooked up the ribbon cable, and the power cable, but still nothing.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kagaos

Yeah about that, my floppy drive (that i bought OEM off of newegg), isn't working, I hooked up the ribbon cable, and the power cable, but still nothing.

Hmm, all I can suggest for your floppy is to check to see if the right drivers are installed, although that usually isn't a problem with floppy drives haha

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are drivers for floppy drives? The only drivers I installed were for my mobo. (pictures are on their way)

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now what do you think?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Well that's what I mean. The drivers kind of come with the basics lol, so that's not really your problem. I really can't help you there much. I had a problem with my floppy and other disc drives not working on my old motherboard, but that was a power management or PSU problem. You don't look like you have either.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I see your problem. Your memory timings (in the screenshot with the numbers:
Determine the speed at which your RAM will start a task, end a task, and delay between tasks. A lower latency (such as yours), which are referred to as "tight" timings, mean your RAM works faster, but the tighter your timings, the less stable your RAM will be. Even moreso if you increase your frequency. Try loosening (making bigger) your timings to something like 2.5 - 3 - 3 - 6 in the order that CPU-Z displays: CAS, RAS to CAS, RAS Precharge, and then TRAS. You'll then be much more likely to clock your frequency stabily to 200 MHz to get a good 1:1 ratio with your FSB. If that doesn't work, try loostening them a bit more, to maybe something like 3 - 4 - 4 - 8.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Incase you are still slightly confused, here are some great explanations and overclocking methods that may help you understand and make a lot more progress:

Dethonator's Grand Overclocking Guide and Methods
How RAM timings work - This one may be a bit confusing at first, but after reading it and then encountering more overclocking knowledge along the way you will begin to understand. I suggest re-reading once or twice later on to get a better grasp on it.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, I pretty much know what ram timings are an what not. But IDK how to looosen them. Do i do it in bios?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Yes, you do this in your BIOS. It will most likely be in your 'Advanced Chipset Features' section, or something like it. All the timings may be set to auto, and/or all will be locked out by a single option that would set them to auto or manual user configuration (you will most likely see this option as SPD. Choose SPD instead of auto and you will be able to... well, yea, I'm repeating myself now).

Remember the order that the timings are in CPU-Z: CAS, RAS to CAS, RAS Precharge, TRAS. That is the order you want to loosen your timings at to keep from being confused or possibly becoming unstable. After a while you will understand the timings like the back of your hand, and those acronyms will be imbedded in your brain
CAS is your major latency as you probably already know. Loosen that - like I said - to 2.5 first, followed by a 3 CAStoRAS, 3 RASPrecharge, and 7 TRAS.... well, you read my earlier post. I'm just repeating myself again.

I've been up for 40 hours, so forgive me if I seem like I have a bit of memory loss.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, will do! Thanks alot for all your help I REALLY appreciate it.
P.S. Get a long rest tonight!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Thanks! Both for your well wishes and for your sticking around and being patient with me
You're one of the first people I've been able to help, so I feel pretty good about myself. Hopefully what I suggested helps and everyone lives in happy land for a little while
lol

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, well i am back from bios, and found nothing about timings, although I did find this in advanced chipset features:
Frame Buffer size : 64m
PMU : Auto
NB->SB HT speed: 4x
NB<-SB HT speed: 4x
and it goes on like that, and it has other stuff that doesn't relate to ram. What do you think. I think the NB stuff is the timings, but idk.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I'd be able to tell you in an instance if my brother would simply let me on his 939 board for a second, but he won't
I haven't really been inside a 939 board, but the timings ARE there somewhere.

I'll try anyway, but don't expect any luck. He's pretty addicted to his Lineage.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hahaha, tell him that you will give him 10 "bones" (dollars) if he lets you on. Now, he lets you on, and you give him 10 chicken bones
Kinda corny i know, but hey it is worth a shot!
Well I have to go for about 10-15 minutes, be back in a bit. Please post ANYTHING that you can get. I am not in GREAT need of this, but I just want my pc to be awesome! (p.s. it gets a score of 43 on super pi, so it shouldn't be too bad...my old one got like a minute and 15 seconds on super pi. this is a great improvement.) I believe that it is dividers that is hindering the performance of my ram, because that is what my friend told me, but your theory is equally important.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Can't get on. Man is he ever zoned out.

Anyway, the least I can tell you concerning 939 RAM is this:
Along with the FSB HTT multiplier (the multiplier that determines whether your FSB is clocked over or under the 1000 MHz HTT supported by most 939 boards) the RAM also has an HTT multiplier that works the same way as the FSB HTT multiplier works. That may have something to do with what you just posted.
Also, I'm not really sure but I'm going to take a wild guess and say that the NB and SB stand for Northbridge and Southbridge. Just a wild guess
lol

1 - 20 of 33 Posts