Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, OC'd my PC for the first time thru the bios, and when i hit 3.0Ghz the board canged the CPU:RAM to 5:4 and the Mhz dropped from 200 to 174. Is this normal or does my RAM suck?

·
Banned
3,702 Posts
Go into bios and change the fsb:ram ratio to 1:1 , and it should run fine.. otherwise your system is not running at its optimum performance

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crashed

Go into bios and change the fsb:ram ratio to 1:1 , and it should run fine.. otherwise your system is not running at its optimum performance

i could'nt see anything in the BIOS that would let me, what should i be looking for?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crashed

It should be in the advanced settings where the fsb is changed, thats where mine is

ok thanks i'll have a look later, my Fiance wnats the PC now so i'll have to get off, thanks for the help.!

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
the setting is probably set to 'Auto' at the moment - hence the reason why it automatically set your ram on a divider when you upped the FSB

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms

the setting is probably set to 'Auto' at the moment - hence the reason why it automatically set your ram on a divider when you upped the FSB

yeah there was a setting for auto or manual, once in manual it's got multipiers of 1.33, 1.66 and 2.0 from memory, what are they for?

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by werearse

yeah there was a setting for auto or manual, once in manual it's got multipiers of 1.33, 1.66 and 2.0 from memory, what are they for?

Are you sure it wasnt 133, 166 and 200 ?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms

Are you sure it wasnt 133, 166 and 200 ?

not sure i'll reboot and check, back in minute.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

not sure i'll reboot and check, back in minute.

No under Memory Frequency i've got 1.33, 1.66, 2.0 or auto.
Am i looking at the wrong setting?

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

No under Memory Frequency i've got 1.33, 1.66, 2.0 or auto.
Am i looking at the wrong setting?

I think you are looking at the right setting, but each motherboard manufacturer has different ways of saying the same thing.

I'd hazard a guess and say that:
2.0 = 1:1
1.66 = 5:4
1.33 = 3:2

So, try it on 2.0 and see if that sets the memory speed the same as the FSB.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms

I think you are looking at the right setting, but each motherboard manufacturer has different ways of saying the same thing.

I'd hazard a guess and say that:
2.0 = 1:1
1.66 = 5:4
1.33 = 3:2

So, try it on 2.0 and see if that sets the memory speed the same as the FSB.

O.K will that lower my oc'ing ability?, does it lower the Frequency as a safe guard? Also if i OC tonight is it safe to let Prime 95 run overnight unattended?

·
Banned
3,702 Posts
Quote:

O.K will that lower my oc'ing ability?, does it lower the Frequency as a safe guard? Also if i OC tonight is it safe to let Prime 95 run overnight unattended?

No, if 2.0 is 1:1 fsb:ram, that is what you want.. cuz your ram will run at the same spd as the bus (as it should). you should be fine to run prime 95

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

No it will not lowe your OC ability - however, your ram is rated to run at a maximum of 200mhz, so if you set your FSB higher than 200mhz, you will have use one of the lower dividers (like 5:4).

Its fine to leave Prime95 overnight, but i would reccomend doing it during the day when you are around, so that if the machine overheats, you wont be woken up in the middle of the nite by the sound of your machine beeping!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cheers, im going to Oc now and change it to 2.0, then bed, gotta get up early for work. I'll let Prime 95 run overnight and let ya's know how i got on tommorrow.
Thanks for the help!!!!!

·
Banned
1,085 Posts
My machine dont beep, it talks, it goes "System failed due to CPU Overclocking"

or when it boots it says "System now booting into OS" and there's plenty of other things it says aswell. It's a ladies voice and it's just a Asus feature.

With your RAM, i'd set it at the lower 1.66 to start with so if your get to a point where you cant OC, atleast you'll know it's not your RAM.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sloth_Boy

My machine dont beep, it talks, it goes "System failed due to CPU Overclocking"

or when it boots it says "System now booting into OS" and there's plenty of other things it says aswell. It's a ladies voice and it's just a Asus feature.

With your RAM, i'd set it at the lower 1.66 to start with so if your get to a point where you cant OC, atleast you'll know it's not your RAM.

OK i've got the CPU running at 3.1Ghz but with the 5:4 divider, how big of a performance loss does running it that way incur.And wots the best Torture test to use in Prime 95.

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

OK i've got the CPU running at 3.1Ghz but with the 5:4 divider, how big of a performance loss does running it that way incur.And wots the best Torture test to use in Prime 95.

Just use the default torture test in P95, that will be just fine. What speed are you running your FSB at to get to 3.1ghz?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts