Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Dream Chaser
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, quick noob question...I am currently building an LGA2066 build. I bought the 7740X chip, and have the MSI x299 SLI Plus. Now the board says it supports quad channel memory. However the chip says it supports 2 channel. Would I be wasting my time and money buying a 4 channel setup, or is that just a general reference on the chip and the 4 channel will work just fine? Thanks in advance!

·
Senior OCN Member
39,792 Posts
Since you have a 7740X you dont have the option for quad channel at all and much of the stuff on the motherboard is not available because of the CPU you bought and all the limits it has
In all honesty you made a huge mistake and you would have been better off with an LGA 1151 setup or a Skylake-X CPU instead and what you picked gives you the worst of everything

Edit: what you did was pretty much buy a 7700K on another socket and paid for a motherboard where you cant use many of the features so you wasted a ton of money on nothing at all and you could have gotten a better setup for less money with LGA 1151 / Z370 instead

• Rep+
Reactions: jfizz84

·
Dream Chaser
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well hold on now...Nothing is set in stone. I went with the 2066 setup because I read they were phasing out the 1151 socket. And as far as price, the 8700K vs the 7740X is around the same price (granted I get a hex core vs a quad core but what benefit will I get when few apps utilize multi-threading), and around the same speed. Also the 8700K ALSO only supports dual channel. So what am I missing? I do see the 8700 uses less power which is nice, but I am failing to see the overall benefit of going with the 1151 socket. And what motherboard features will I be losing out on with that CPU other than the memory channel support?

·
Dream Chaser
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm....I just did some reading and possibly I DO need to switch to the 8700K. Same newer architecture but better bench-marking results. Let me weigh the options here and possibly a change coming.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,792 Posts
The old LGA 1151 was phased out yes but its been replaced by a new LGA 1151 which uses a new pin layout so that it cant work with the old LGA 1151
So what you heard was both right and wrong

You should either A buy a 7800X and return the 7740X otherwise you wont be able to use much of the stuff on the motherboard you picked which is just a waste of money
Or you B you need to return both the CPU and motherboard and go with a Z370 8xxx combo instead and you can get quad cores if you dont feel like you need a hexa core

I am not an expert but i know many things are disabled on X299 boards if you dont use Skylake-X CPU and PCI-E slots are some of those things that are disabled

Edit: what are you going to use your PC for because if its just for gaming there is no reason to go with X299

·
Dream Chaser
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, I gotcha. 8th gen 1151 will ONLY work with 8th gen boards and they are not backwards compatible. I think I WILL revise my build. How does an 8700K with a strix Z370-H sound? Still will only have dual memory support, but if I didn't have it on the other build then what does it really matter?

·
Senior OCN Member
39,792 Posts
OK, I gotcha. 8th gen 1151 will ONLY work with 8th gen boards and they are not backwards compatible. I think I WILL revise my build. How does an 8700K with a strix Z370-H sound? Still will only have dual memory support, but if I didn't have it on the other build then what does it really matter?
Thats a much better option and the motherboard should be cheaper as well
What other parts do you have planed?

·
Dream Chaser
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the strix H board, the 8700K, I have my evga 1080 SC already. Going to stay with EVGA G2 PSU.....Just have to grab another SSD, the corsair H150 water cooler and haven't really decided on the RAM yet, but probably a 16GB (8x2) set. Any suggestions?

Basically I am making my girl her own rig. Now she doesn't do MUCH gaming, but I still have a decent system that I can give her and upgrade what I need/want. Shes happy, I'm happy and I can get back to dabbling in OCing (operative word DABBLE)

·
Senior OCN Member
39,792 Posts
Unless you plans for extreme overclocking you dont need such a huge cooler and can your case even fit a 360 rad?
Hell you dont even need a CLC cooler when dual tower air coolers are just as good and much much cheaper as well as more quiet and more durable

As for the SSD if you want durability get a Samsung 860 Evo and dont get an NVME drive such as the 950 or 960
If you rather want a much lower dollar per gigabyte drive get a Crucial MX500

Reason why i am saying dont get an NVME drive is tests have shown that unless you are working with heavy work loads or are a Linux user NVME drives are not faster in any when it comes to most every day tasks so they are therefore a waste of money for most users

What monitor do you have? might want to consider getting a new one if you have an older one

·
Dream Chaser
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unless you plans for extreme overclocking you dont need such a huge cooler and can your case even fit a 360 rad?
Hell you dont even need a CLC cooler when dual tower air coolers are just as good and much much cheaper as well as more quiet and more durable

As for the SSD if you want durability get a Samsung 860 Evo and dont get an NVME drive such as the 950 or 960
If you rather want a much lower dollar per gigabyte drive get a Crucial MX500

Reason why i am saying dont get an NVME drive is tests have shown that unless you are working with heavy work loads or are a Linux user NVME drives are not faster in any when it comes to most every day tasks so they are therefore a waste of money for most users

What monitor do you have? might want to consider getting a new one if you have an older one
I have an Asus 28" monitor currently. was thinking of a 144hz upgrade but some said the difference was negligible and some said its night and day. So undecided thus far. I have a corsair case that does support triple rad, and I WAS looking at some decent air coolers, but was really impressed with the look and performance of the AIO setups for water cooling. Like the H150. Mind you the degree difference per dollar was...excessive. But enough to give me mod envy if you catch my drift. I've done water cooling before and phase change cooling...but don't want the hassle of the fittings and hose and pumps and yada yada yada, so an all in one seemed nice.

Right now I have a mushkin SSD that the old lady will likely get with a WD 2TB blue drive. I have a firecuda 2TB drive for my games, and might go with the samsung EVO as you suggested for OS drive and system files, then a WD Blue 4TB for storage.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,792 Posts
A few things about monitors and first off yes the 144 Hz does make a huge difference for some users while others cant tell the difference
But if you are looking a monitor might i might i suggest you go all out then, dont know what resolution you are on right now but 1440P is a big upgrade if you are on 1080P

Hope you dont mind but i was talking to another user about monitors so hope you dont mind i copy what i said to him instead of having to type it all again

Quote: one thing you might not know of is Nvidia G Sync which is what my 1440P monitor uses
What it does make the monitor talk to the GPU which means the monitor will not show less or more FPS then what the GPU is putting out

The experience is amazing no more lag screen tearing or stuttering which means even lower framerates dont actually looks or feels bad

I was like you once refusing to play games unless i could get x amount of FPS but after i bought my Asus PG279Q with Nvidia G Sync i stopped caring because unless the FPS is less then 30 it does not matter all that much anymore

AMD also has a sync technology called Freesync but that only works with monitors that have that instead of Nvidia G Sync and only with AMD cards
The Asus PG279Q the Acer Predator XB271HU the AOC AGON AG271QG and the ViewSonic XG2703-GS 27 are all 27 inch 1440P 144/165 hz IPS panels with Nvidia G Sync

If you dont like 1440P there are 1080P monitors with Nvidia G Sync as well and even those are much better then a non Nvidia G Sync monitor

While they are expensive monitors they are well worth the price and as said before i own an Asus PG279Q and a GTX 1080 and as i said even with lower framerates you wont notice it all that much because of Nvidia G Sync is such a big compensator

With that being said i play older FPS games and RTS games more then i play newer FPS games
As for PUBG thats the most unoptimised game around and it runs like crap on the even the most powerful machines so thats the game´s fault not your GTX 1080

While i had my GTX 1070 before it bit the dust i was playing Deus Ex Mankind Divided at about 40 FPS and i swear i could not tell the difference between that and the GTX 1080 which could do 60 FPS because of Nvidia G Sync so i am sure you wont be able to tell the difference between 80 or 120 FPS in PUBG

You might with less then 30 FPS but the GTX 1080 is not that crappy

End of quote: going back to HDD´s HGST Deskstars should be the most reliable drives money can buy so you might want to consider one of those instead of a WD drive

·
Dream Chaser
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice, I shall consider putting that on the build list! I like what he said about PUBG. I'm always complaining about their optimization. I'll probably make a build thread and credit you in there for your insight and changing my mind on the X299!

·
Senior OCN Member
39,792 Posts
I just checked out those 4 monitors on newegg and out of the 4 they only have 3 and the cheapest one was the Acer Predator XB271HU at $550
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...=Acer_Predator_XB271HU-_-24-011-082-_-Product

I have the PG279Q myself which is very similar and i also have a GTX 1080 and out of the 40 games i have tested only 3 ran at less then 50 FPS
That quote by the way was from my own post and not his so that part about the crappy PUBG optimization was me and not the one i was talking to

·
Dream Chaser
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ahh, then hopefully I will see you in game!

·
Senior OCN Member
39,792 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts