Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a x850xt with the stock double-slot cooling that I plan to replace shortly, because it's too noisy and I want to overclocked the card.

If I go with a water cooling solution, is it bad to not have any airflow over the ramsink wether at stock memory speed or overclocked ? Or is it better to stay with a double-slot design like the Artic Cooling ATI Silencer ?

As far as I know most modern video card does have the memory chips cooled by the same heatsink as the GPU, just like my x850xt. But I like the fact that a water cooling system is a universal device that fits on any video card.

Thanks for your advices.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Well you'll still have your case fans running. With all the major heat sources being water cooled the case temp should also be lower. That means you probably don't have to worry about it... You can always get ram heatsinks if you think they're too hot though.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
On my gt i left the origonal heatsinks on there because they are seperate to the gpu h/s .. not sure if your xt is the same but could be worth a try can help a bit in stability

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by markuk3

On my gt i left the origonal heatsinks on there because they are seperate to the gpu h/s .. not sure if your xt is the same but could be worth a try can help a bit in stability

No there is only one heatsink for the gpu and the memory chip on the x850xt.
That's why I ask the question if I can leave the memory chip without active cooling like a fan. Only the gpu will be water cooled.

This is the kit that I would like to buy : http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/2005/w...r/cl-w0052.htm

·
Premium Member
2,485 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by isma

No there is only one heatsink for the gpu and the memory chip on the x850xt.
That's why I ask the question if I can leave the memory chip without active cooling like a fan. Only the gpu will be water cooled.

This is the kit that I would like to buy : http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/2005/w...r/cl-w0052.htm

Believe me, if you want silence and performance, buy the VF700. It comes with memory heatsinks, and it will cool much better than the TideWater.

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sun

Believe me, if you want silence and performance, buy the VF700. It comes with memory heatsinks, and it will cool much better than the TideWater.

^^ right on, get the vf700-cu and save yourself from hassles. They come with ramsinks, though I do recommend that you get some AS5, that stock paste is junk.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts