Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
OG AMD
8,801 Posts
So I'm getting BSODs , I ran memtest86 overnight, and I got errors , then I ran memtest on each stick and it's not giving me errors , does that mean the ram slot is bad ?
Put one stick in the suspected slot and see if it posts and runs error free.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,169 Posts
not sure how you came to that conclusion off that but is one RAM slot throwing errors on known good RAM? surely seems like a logical next step rather than jumping to the conclusion that a RAM slot is bad.

·
OG AMD
8,801 Posts
not sure how you came to that conclusion off that but is one RAM slot throwing errors on known good RAM? surely seems like a logical next step rather than jumping to the conclusion that a RAM slot is bad.

This post is confusing, can you clarify your point?

OP- I guess we need to ask which motherboard and CPU. It's plausible to be an IMC issue as well.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,169 Posts
and every stick individually tested as stable? you didn't get tired of testing and just come to that conclusion? :D

if every stick is stable individually and it starts to fail when you include >1 stick, then I'd probably try playing with SOC voltage first (especially if it's on auto).

This post is confusing, can you clarify your point?

OP- I guess we need to ask which motherboard and CPU. It's plausible to be an IMC issue as well.

each RAM stick being stable =/= RAM slot is bad. it's a leap to make that conclusion and surely there's other steps OP can take to figure out what's going on.

not sure how else to clarify but my post wasn't to you if that's what were the confusion came from, you just type faster than me :D

·
Premium Member
4,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I retested each stick in each slot one at a time no errors , I also put one stick in slot 4 last night and didn't get BSODs , I plaid bf5 for an hour and it didn't crash , I'm gonna try playing bf5 again today with one stick in slot 2 and see what happens. I might just pick up a new b550 board , I'm getting tired of this old board it's been giving me way too many problems

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
A lot of retail brand memory is marginal, and the extra capacitance from any other memory modules on the motherboard can slow the turn-on/turn-off of the signals enough to prevent the memory from working normally. There's probably a 10-20% chance that XMP memory won't work right because it always overclocks the chips.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts