Overclock.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed my 2nd kit of G. Skill HZ sticks earlier today and found something rather interesting.

When I enable the 'memory remap feature' option on my board my BIOS will recognize all 4096mb of memory. When it is disabled BIOS will only see 3008mb. Here is the quandry: I'm dual booting XP 32 and Vista 64. With the feature disabled XP 32 only sees 2.93 of possible 4GB. While the feature is enabled XP sees only 2/4GB.

I'd hate to have to disable/enable to feature in the BIOS everytime I wanted to switch the OS.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Unfortunately XP32 will not be able to see or use more than 3Gb.
What you can do in XP32 with the mapping enabled is to enable the /3GB switch after the /fastdetects switch (boot.ini) in XP32 and you should then see 3Gb

·
Registered
490 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by viceroy View Post
Unfortunately XP32 will not be able to see or use more than 3Gb.
What you can do in XP32 with the mapping enabled is to enable the /3GB switch (boot.ini) in XP32 and you should then see 3Gb
That's not what he's asking.

·
Registered
47 Posts
So what EXACTLY are you asking?

You said you have 4Gb. Fine, easily understandable.

Quote:
When I enable the 'memory remap feature' option on my board my BIOS will recognize all 4096mb of memory. When it is disabled BIOS will only see 3008mb.
Isn't that the point of the memory remap feature? When enabled you can see ALL of you installed memory?

Quote:
Here is the quandry: I'm dual booting XP 32 and Vista 64. With the feature disabled XP 32 only sees 2.93 of possible 4GB. While the feature is enabled XP sees only 2/4GB.
So this is your question? When remap is enabled, XP32 only sees 2Gb? but when disabled XP32 sees 3Gb. Maybe, just maybe the remap functions changes how XP32 sees your installed memory.

Maybe, just maybe you could actually try my suggestion to see if the /3GB switch helps XP32 work with 3Gb instead of the 2Gb when remap is enabled

Quote:
I'd hate to have to disable/enable to feature in the BIOS everytime I wanted to switch the OS.
If once you've tried my suggestion, this might be your only choice barring a bios update which might (or might not) 'fix' this problem

·
Premium Member
6,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

So what EXACTLY are you asking?

You said you have 4Gb. Fine, easily understandable.

Isn't that the point of the memory remap feature? When enabled you can see ALL of you installed memory?

So this is your question? When remap is enabled, XP32 only sees 2Gb? but when disabled XP32 sees 3Gb. Maybe, just maybe the remap functions changes how XP32 sees your installed memory.

Maybe, just maybe you could actually try my suggestion to see if the /3GB switch helps XP32 work with 3Gb instead of the 2Gb when remap is enabled

If once you've tried my suggestion, this might be your only choice barring a bios update which might (or might not) 'fix' this problem

I understand the limitations of a 32bit OS. Thanks.

My question was is there a workaround in which I can leave the 'Memory Remap Feature' enabled and still see more than 2GB. With the feature disabled I can see 3GB of memory so that is not the issue.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Answer is no.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
Lol, thanks Duckie.

What can change the BIOS other than the user or an app running in OS? Since, the whole point is not having the user do it... then it has to be in OS. However, once OS loads... issue is moot. You maybe able to switch the BIOS setting in OS but I wouldn't ever mess with memory mapping while running something.

·
Old to Overclock.net
6,113 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
My question was is there a workaround in which I can leave the 'Memory Remap Feature' enabled and still see more than 2GB. With the feature disabled I can see 3GB of memory so that is not the issue.

Quote:

suggestion /3GB switch
no workies?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.