Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am relatively new to overclocking so get ready for a noob question.

I have increased my FSB to 220 and my processor is running at 220*10 = 2200Mhz. I left my DRAM timing at 400 and my HT is set to Auto. Does this mean that my RAM is currently overclocked, along with the processor, or do I have to alter the DRAM timing in order to OC the RAM. The reason that I ask is that I didn't expect my Geil Value Ram to OC 10% with little to no effort and timing set to 2.5-3-3-5 (2.5-4-4-8 stock).

These results are error free on memtest86+ and Prime95 (18 hours). Any help interpreting these results would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gimburgy

I am relatively new to overclocking so get ready for a noob question.

I have increased my FSB to 220 and my processor is running at 220*10 = 2200Mhz. I left my DRAM timing at 400 and my HT is set to Auto. Does this mean that my RAM is currently overclocked, along with the processor, or do I have to alter the DRAM timing in order to OC the RAM. The reason that I ask is that I didn't expect my Geil Value Ram to OC 10% with little to no effort and timing set to 2.5-3-3-5 (2.5-4-4-8 stock).

These results are error free on memtest86+ and Prime95 (18 hours). Any help interpreting these results would be appreciated.

Yep, they're now running at 220Mhz, well done. Try for higher if you can

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ste

Yep, they're now running at 220Mhz, well done. Try for higher if you can

Thanks Ste.

I would try going higher, but I'm not sure if it increases my performance. When I ran at 225 FSB, with the same RAM timings, my 3dmark05 score goes down 400-700 (7770 to b/w 7000-7350). However, my sisoft scores increase proportionally and the system is memtest stable - no time for prime95.

Does the increase in FSB speed also have an impact on the PCIe bus? Is it a possibility that the higher FSB is causing the video card to go over its maximum heat (which i read causes it to slow down immediately)?

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gimburgy

Thanks Ste.

I would try going higher, but I'm not sure if it increases my performance. When I ran at 225 FSB, with the same RAM timings, my 3dmark05 score goes down 400-700 (7770 to b/w 7000-7350). However, my sisoft scores increase proportionally and the system is memtest stable - no time for prime95.

Does the increase in FSB speed also have an impact on the PCIe bus? Is it a possibility that the higher FSB is causing the video card to go over its maximum heat (which i read causes it to slow down immediately)?

No, it should be locked but check for the 100MHz in the BIOS setting just to be sure!
The FSB is an old unused term with 939 series CPUs. The "HTT" is the correct term

BTW...
Have you tried ...
To OC the CPU and eliminate the effect of the RAM holding it back... set a stiff divider on the RAM to OC the CPU to it's stable max.
Reduced CPU multiplyer (say 7x) to in effect OC the RAM to find it's max stable speed?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts