Overclock.net banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me sus what the timing should be on my setup, running a slight OC on CPU at the mo @3.210GHz and GPU 675 with GPU ram @740, can I adjust my memory timing to compliment this - haven't touched it yet. Current settings....

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Thanks for making a new thread.

Firstly, in memory overclocking, there is no set of numbers your timings should be set to. It depends on what chips your memory use (even the same chips can vary from batch to batch), your memory speed and voltage.

I strongly advise leaving voltage at stock for memory overclocking unless you are aware of the risks.

Just so you know, tightening timings can take a while. Why? You must only drop one timing by -1 at a time (loosening and tightening of timings can be done in the CMOS), then stress test. Then repeat.

Use this version of Memtest. Put it on a CD/USB drive or floppy, and boot off it. Run 3 iterations of test 8. If the tests pass, lower (tighten) the timing by -1 and repeat.

When you get a failure, raise (loosen) the timing up by 1, and let all 8 tests run through, twice. This is to make sure the timing you are tightening really is stable, as running test #8 3 times is more of a 75% check.

Unstable memory can kill Windows, as data is corrupted, so stable memory is incredibly important.

Once you have run through all 8 tests twice, you have successfully tightened one of your timings. Now, you just have to repeat the whole process with another timing.

Make sure to only play about with Tras after Trp and Trcd (a lower Trp and a lower Trcd = a lower Tras). And, only play about with Trc after you have tightened Tras (a lower Tras = a lower Trc).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts