Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Memory: Team Xtreme 16GB (2 x 8GB) 2400 (PC3 19200) Model TXD316G2400HC10QDC01
Motherboard: AsRock Z77 Pro3 (Supports up to 2800+(OC))

I set XMP Settings to XMP 1.3 Profile 1 (10-12-12-31 1.65V) and ran Memtest to find the timing was still the defaults of my Motherboard (8-9-9-24), even though in the BIOS it says "XMP 1.3 Profile 1 10-12-12-31" ... but when I go into DRAM Configuration, I see everything is set to Auto and the only way to change them in this page of the BIOS is manually, even though I set the XMP Profile already, that doesn't work.
I believe I am going to need all the correct XMP timing values not just the first 4:

CAS# Latency (tCL) 8 Auto
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) 9 Auto
Row Precharge Time (tRP) 9 Auto
RAS# Active Time (tRAS) 24 Auto
Command Rate (CR) 2N Auto
Write Recovery Time (tWR) 14 Auto
Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC) 235 Auto
RAS to RAS Delay (tRRD) 7 Auto
Write to Read Delay (tWTR) 7 Auto
Read to Precharge (tRTP) 7 Auto
Four Active Window (tFAW) 23 Auto
CAS Write Latency (tCWL) 8 Auto
ODT WR (CHA) Auto (60 / 120) Auto
ODT WR (CHB) Auto (60 / 120) Auto
ODT NOM (CHA) Auto (20 / 30 / 40 / 60 / 120) Auto
ODT NOM (CHB) Auto (20 / 30 / 40 / 60 / 120) Auto
MRC Fast Boot ENABLED (Enable / Disable)

I've entered the first 4 numbers (10-12-12-31) but I still can't budge past 1800 MHz not even 1866, so if changing those numbers so drastically (from 8-9-9-24 to 10-12-12-31) will not allow me to change the speed at all, then I think I need the rest of the timings I mentioned above.

I have no idea why the XMP settings wont load, but I wished there was some way to find out what the other timings would be in the XMP profile.

Can anyone help me?

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
You should be able to manually set the first four and command rate, everything else on auto. You may (probably will) have to change the NB too to handle the faster memory speed..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What should I change the Command Rate to?
(I couldn't find any info on this on the memory package or online)
And what should I do in the NB?
(I assume you mean North Bridge Config)
Here is a link to the North Bridge Config settings for my Motherboard:
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/438990/Asrock-Z77-Pro3.html?page=53#manual

I really appreciate your help, and I hope you can answer my questions,
smile.gif

But most of all I am looking for someone who has the same memory so I can copy their settings from the XMP Profile because mine will not load at all.
Thanks again,
McDug

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
First off, XMP Profiles are the memory manufacturer's guess at what will work, and they don't even know if you're using an AMD CPU or and Intel CPU, much less the rest of the components you have.

Change the Command Rate to the one that works. 2T is faster but more stress, 1T is sometimes slower, but always less stress.

When you see this "CAS# Latency (tCL) 8 Auto" in your BIOS it means that the CAS timing has been automatically set to 8.

Can you post a CPU-Z screen shot of what you see in both the "Memory" tab and the "SPD" tab?
That way we can see what you're actually doing and work from there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, I see the Command Rate in CPU-Z says 2T, and you said that is faster but is more stress.
But what will be more stressed? (the Memory or the motherboard or both?)
Will it still be stressed if the temperatures are all low? If so, like how much stress? (What would be the consequinces?)
I am attaching a copy of CPU-Z Memory and SPD tabs, as well as temperatures from CPUID HardWareMonitor:
Note, CPU-Z shows the memory as PC3-10700 when it is really PC3-19200, my only guess is because it is running slower than it should be.

Thanks again for all the help.

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
I'd try manually adding these timings and this voltage. Set all the other timings to Auto.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am unable to use all those entries.

Command Rate (CR) only accepts values of 1 or 2
It will not accept 2N or 1N as user entries but when entering 1 or 2, the value beside "Command Rate" changes to 1N or 2N.
It does not accept 1N, 2N, 1T, or 2T.

I do not have a tRC option, the closest thing to that is tRFC (Refresh Cycle Time) at a value of 235 (a huge leap from 44 in the SPD).

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDug View Post

I am unable to use all those entries.

Command Rate (CR) only accepts values of 1 or 2
It will not accept 2N or 1N as user entries but when entering 1 or 2, the value beside "Command Rate" changes to 1N or 2N.
It does not accept 1N, 2N, 1T, or 2T.

I do not have a tRC option, the closest thing to that is tRFC (Refresh Cycle Time) at a value of 235 (a huge leap from 44 in the SPD).
Yes 1 and 2 are the only choices for the Command Rate.
Don't "guess" ay timings. If you don't know a timing just set those to auto.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, well with those settings, I am still unable to get anything past 1800 MHz.
Before you told me not to guess at anything, I was gonna try and lower my timings one entry and one step at a time to see if I could get it faster that way since I can't raise the MHz.
I guess I'm stuck at 1800 unless anyone can think of anything else?
Thanks for all your help man, I really appreciate it.

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
No, you want to raise the timings (higher numerically) when you run faster speeds.

When you say you can't get over 1800 what speed is your CPU at and what actually happens, lockup, BSOD????

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I try to run faster than 1800 (@ 1866), it starts to power up but shuts down before I even see anything on my screen, then on the forth restart, it says "The system failed to boot several times before. You may press F2 or Del to enter Setup to reconfig your UEFI. Or UEIF will continue to boot in 5 seconds." (but then it skips UEFI / BIOS and goes right to windows unless I press DEL or F2)

I had no idea how to start setting the timings higher, so I started raising each number by 1 until I hit maximum of 15-15-15-55 plus both 2N and 1N and it would not even run @ 1800 with those numbers. (well close to max, it is actually 15-15-15-63) but when I seen it wouldn't run @ 1800 with those numbers I gave up until I hear back from you. (Right now it is running @ 8-9-9-24-2N @ 1.65 @ 1800)

I also have a memory fan installed for extra coolant, which I thought would help the memory run more smoothly at a lower temperature. (FAN: G.SKILL FTB-3500C5-D Fan)

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
OK then, maybe it's not the memory causing the non boot.
How are you changing the memory speed?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I change the the "DRAM Frequency" option. (@ 1800 now)

Oh, you asked for the speed of my Processor, its running at 3.0 (3.2 Turbo) (it is an Intel Core Quad i5 3330)
For a while, I was able to use an option (I can't remember what it was called, but to OC non-K processors), and I had it running at 3.6 for a while, but my computer started giving off a very very faint beeping after about a week or so (not sure if the beeping was coming from the actual machine or the speakers, because by the time I got down there it was done. The beeps were very faint, not like the beep I hear when I enter BIOS, that one is like 20 times louder. It was so low, I wasn't even sure if I was hearing things until I heard it again, then I disabled the OC option for the processor.) This happened weeks ago before I got this new memory. Since I got the new memory, I tried playing with that setting on or off but I still always get the same result. (not beeping, the restarting 4 times). Now that I have my memory set up at 1800, if I use that non-K OC option my startup time is noticably slower than if it is disabled.

Also, yesterday I noticed some Ghost Window Flashings. Ghost meaning too fast to see what they are, I could only see the formation of a box (window) and it would disappear before I could see anything, I am pretty sure they weren't black like CMD windows and positive they weren't BSOD. I haven't seen anything yet today after the computer was left on all night. (The only thing different about yesterday and today is I had tons of downloads going in Bicomet, but I've never seen that happen before and I've had just as much downloading at the same speed). So I don't know what to think of it.

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Quote:

computer started giving off a very very faint beeping ...
...Ghost Window Flashings.
...it would disappear before I could see anything
...my startup time is noticably slower
...tons of downloads going in Bicomet
I'd stay far away from any "automatic" overclocking because you have no idea what it's doing.

Hmmm.
What anti virus?
Updated recently?
Complete scan recently?
Looked for trojans / rootkits recently?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay, gotchya, I wont do the auto-overclock again.
What anti virus? Avast Free 2015
Updated recently? Yes, Windows Updates and Avast are always up-to-date.
Complete scan recently? Complete scan done yesterday. (I always use my custom scan settings: Rootkits (full scan), Modules in memory, Auto-start programs (all users), All harddisks, scan all files, Recognize file types by their: content (thorough but slow) rather than name extension (fast).
Looked for trojans / rootkits recently? Not in a month or two, and I just removed my MalwareBytes because I read somewhere when looking for Window Flashings that Avast and MalwareBytes might interfere with each other. Any recomendations for a good free Trojan/and/or/Rootkit scanner?

I'm glad at least it looks like you think it's a virus rather than a problem with the memory/memory settings.

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Norton™ Power Eraser

Eliminates deeply embedded and difficult to remove crimeware that traditional virus scanning doesn't always detect.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you very much, my PC is clean.
is there anything else you can think of to help with the speed/memory? or am I done?
Do you think the timings and speed I am running are stressing my system? If so, how much and what could the consequinces be?

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Quote:

is there anything else you can think of to help with the speed/memory? or am I done?
Do you think the timings and speed I am running are stressing my system? If so, how much and what could the consequinces be?
There are probably hundreds of things you could look into. I'm not an Intel guy so I can't be really specific here.

No, you're not stressing stuff. Your temps look OK.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
{{ edit: }}
SiSoftware Sandra Lite:
Overall Score:
Aggregated Score : 6.53kPT (Higher than 74.49% Results)
Result ID : ASRock Z77 Pro3 (Intel Core i5-3330 CPU @ 3.00GHz; Intel Core DRAM Controller; 2x 8GB Team Group Xtreem-LV-2400 D; Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB; NVIDIA GeForce GT 630)
Finished Successfully : Yes

More SiSoftware Sandra performance results:
GP (GPU/CPU/APU) Memory Latency: Higher than 35.12% results (Memory Latency : 337.6ns)
Memory:
Memory Bandwidth: Rank Higher than 88.43% results (Aggregated Score : 23.530GB/s)
Cache & Memory Latency: Rank Higher than 88.01% results (Aggregated Score : 23.9ns)
Cache Bandwidth: Higher than 62.02% results (Cache/Memory Bandwidth AVX/128 : 106.28GB/s)
Memory Transaction Throughput: Higher than 55.31% results (Transactional Throughput : 6.2MTPS)

I'm not overly happy but I think the GP Memory Latency has a lot to do with my GPU, I will never buy another graphics card with a fan, I just don't care anymore, I've went through 5 video card fans in a short period of time and refuse to ever go through that again no matter what.
My score, oh well, I guess I should've researched more from the beginning... next rig will be different.
At least I learned now you gotta get memory that was made for the right Motherboard and CPU together or you wont get the best results.
tongue.gif

{{ end edit }}

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbartuska View Post

There are probably hundreds of things you could look into. I'm not an Intel guy so I can't be really specific here.

No, you're not stressing stuff. Your temps look OK.
Okay, thank you very much for your help, I really appreciate it.

I'll keep checking back in case anybody else can think of something.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts