Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only just realised that my DDR400 dimms are different timings which isn't a problem really it will just slow down one of the dimms. Now i have my AMD64 3800+ (single core) overclocked @ 2.7Ghz, obviously i had to lower the ram to 333Mhz to get a higher overclock being consair value. But....

Will increasing the memory timings to that of the faster dimm damage the other dimm in anyway? Or is system instability the most likely?

Dimm01 200Mhz Dimm02 200Mhz

3-3-3-8 3-4-4-8

·
Administrator
64,326 Posts
It wont damage it you will simply loosen the timings which wont have a great affect on system performance anyway. In simple no you wont damage it from adjusting the timings. If it cant do a set adjustment you will just get a BSOD.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
What Enterprise said is true. I've heard that AMD 64 systems benefit from tighter timings more than Intel systems do, so you should try and get the tightest stable timing possible (use memtest86 for stability testing)

·
Premium Member
2,871 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mhill2029

Only just realised that my DDR400 dimms are different timings which isn't a problem really it will just slow down one of the dimms. Now i have my AMD64 3800+ (single core) overclocked @ 2.7Ghz, obviously i had to lower the ram to 333Mhz to get a higher overclock being consair value. But....

Will increasing the memory timings to that of the faster dimm damage the other dimm in anyway? Or is system instability the most likely?

Dimm01 200Mhz Dimm02 200Mhz

3-3-3-8 3-4-4-8

Damage to the IC's is not likely in this situation.
What you will experience is the modules with the looser SPD are going to govern the overall memory timmings and DRAM clock.
You may find that they will just not operate on the tighter timmings.

It is going to be a process of testing..testing and some more testing to find the best (tightest) timmings the second module will run at your nominated fsb. At this point you may find you will have to use a divider to run the RAM on a 100MHz (DDR200) divider.

·
Premium Member
11,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I increased the timings to that of the faster dimm and i have noticed quite an increase in memory performance.
3-3-3-8 is as tight as they go, simply doesn't post if i go 2-2-2-8 heh.

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mhill2029

I increased the timings to that of the faster dimm and i have noticed quite an increase in memory performance.
3-3-3-8 is as tight as they go, simply doesn't post if i go 2-2-2-8 heh.

Changing 3-3-3-8 to 2-2-2-8 is a VERY big jump, I'm not surprised it didn't work. Start slow and make small changes and test each change. http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2223&p=5

1 - 7 of 7 Posts