Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you explain the term of running tighter memory timings or looser timings? How does this effect the memory?

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
i'm doing some benchmarks on this and will post them tonight. it'll show the difference between running TCCD @ 3-4-4-8 2t @ DDR668 and running 2-2-2-5 1t @ DDR200.

will post tonight. i got the DDR668 done, but not the DDR400 yet.

·
Registered
485 Posts
One comparison i like to use :

Take a train, the speed the train goes at would be the RAM frequency and the time it takes for passengers to get aboard/leave the train would be the timings. (The time it takes the memory to access/read/write data )

You may have the fastest train, but if the passengers takes a long time getting in there, the slower train with quick passenger in/outs might just arrive first!

Obviously it's more complicated then that, but it gave me a good a while back and hope it'll help you too.

There's plenty of info on the net about mem timings, including on AMD's website :

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ComputingSolutions/0,,30_288_13265_13295%5E13335,00.html

And i'm sure there is a already topic in here as well, someone will point it out soon

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A little offtopic question but what is HT link?

And what timings should i use if my CPU is overclocked more then the ram(you know with the divider)

·
Registered
485 Posts
HyperTransport this is how your CPU transfer information from/to your northbridge and then from northbridge to/from southbridge.

In other words, it replaces the Front Side Bus, you can calculate your resulting HT speed by multiplying your CPU clock by your HT Link, you will want to keep that around 1000 since there's only instability over that and no improvement in performances.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Allow me to add my 2 cents here about RAM timings and speed:

It is going to be best to run at a 1:1 divider. If you're talking benchmarking, then you can play with it and sometimes having a higher bandwidth will make things faster. Just keep in mind that is theoretical. You are never going to see that increase really. Take a game for example, like F.E.A.R., and grab a digital stopwatch. Time a specific load time at a higher bandwidth at a ratio of like 1:2 or 2:3 etc... then time the same load time with a 1:1 ratio and tighter timings. Since this is reality you are measuring, you will see that the 1:1 ratio is performing better. Anything over 1:1 is really just a waste because your CPU can only go as fast as your FSB will let it. the RAM has no say...

·
Premium Member
3,697 Posts
Nice analogy Shack, very well put

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mudd View Post
what brand?
Memory
1GB A-Data PC3200

you can see it in my sig

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Toreto
View Post

Memory
1GB A-Data PC3200

you can see it in my sig

hrm, never heard of them. what do they come w/ on stock timings?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mudd View Post
hrm, never heard of them. what do they come w/ on stock timings?

umh.. the stock timings are 200mhz if thats what ure asking....

So can anyone help me out?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Toreto View Post
umh.. the stock timings are 200mhz if thats what ure asking....

So can anyone help me out?
He mean't timings, not clock speed. And he is trying to help you out.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
<-- memory nut

last night during some benchmarking i was running my ram at DDR690. had it up to DDR725 but didn't take a SS of it.

if you have some good memory you can get a really high FSB w/ slightly looser timings that will get you a hare bit more performance (not really noticeable unless you benchmark).

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
20,739 Posts
Prison Break owns.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
if those are your current memory timings, thats pretty bad. see if you can tighten them down any before you overclock. you'll know how much headroom you have to work with when you do that.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

Originally Posted by mudd
View Post

if those are your current memory timings, thats pretty bad. see if you can tighten them down any before you overclock. you'll know how much headroom you have to work with when you do that.

Can you please explain how or direct me to some guide on how to tighten the memory? And why are my stock settings bad?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts