Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to use 4 sticks of ram. Currently I am using 2 sticks My system has Patriot Dominator 4GB (2x2) with 4-4-4-12 and volt is there compatible memory with it. Will it have any ill effect on my performance?

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Hey Tycoon,

Yes you can mix different memory, but it's usually not recommended. Here's what you have to keep in mind:

1) All memory must run at the same voltage. If you get memory from a different brand (or even the same brand but a different model), then the memory almost certainly has different IC's (internal controllers) and therefore they may need different voltage. Just check the product page of your memory and see what voltage it uses, then find a set that takes the same voltage. Newegg's product page's show the voltage under the details tab for nearly every RAM set.

2) All memory must run at the SAME SPEED and the SAME TIMINGS. So if one set can run at high speeds and tight timings but the other cannot, then you are limited by the slower set and must run all your memory at the slower speed and/or looser timings of the weakest link. So make sure you buy a set of RAM that is capable of running the timings and speeds of your current set.

·
✾ ✿ ❀ ❁
8,395 Posts
It should be fine. Often they are just higher binned and can overclock better then the previous versions (take the Corsair lineup) You can run some dominators with XMS3's so long as they have same timing, voltage etc but the Dominators will almost certainly overclock better

1 - 5 of 5 Posts