Overclock.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh noes! After switching motherboards and having tons of lockups I thought the problem was solved by underclocking my memory to 166Mhz, but it turns out it wasn't quite. Windows seems to run okay but after two lockups this week I decided to pop in my memtest disc and came back 5 minutes later to find errors.

The memory is running by the timings of the SPD (2.5-3-3-7) at 166Mhz. My last board ran fine at 3-4-4-9 at 200Mhz but this new one seems to suck in the memory area. I can't raise the voltage because the motherboard doesn't support it. Should I take one stick out and try to see if one of the sticks is bad? Should I rma the motherboard? RMA the memory? Should I get a 1GB stick instead? Everything is under warranty, I just need to decide what to do first.

I took a picture so you can see the exact details of the error, I read that some of you can understand it.

·
Premium Member
8,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, here's some new information. I tried memtest with one stick at 200Mhz 3-4-4-9 and it completely froze by test 7! No errors, just the whole program stopped altogether and would not do anything. So this elimnates everything but the motherboard since I have another motherboard that will run both sticks at those settings. I'll look into getting an RMA on the motherboard unless anyone has other advice.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
pop it in the other mobo run memtest and if u still have problems it ur ram if u dont them rma it

• Rep+
Reactions: Fishie36

·
Premium Member
8,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Compfreak

pop it in the other mobo run memtest and if u still have problems it ur ram if u dont them rma it

Right... I am just about to do that. But I am worried that the new board will just do the same thing! Oh well... I guess I'll just have to try it and see.

·
Premium Member
8,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay now I have discovered something very interesting! When I take just one stick of memory and place it in slot 1, I get errors. When I take that same stick and move it to slot two, it runs perfect at full speed! Does this mean I have a bad memory slot? If it does, now I am toying with the idea of just getting a nice 1GB stick and putting it in slot 2. Either that or getting the motherboard RMA'ed. Which do you think would be better?

·
Premium Member
5,141 Posts
First you will need to prove that each module is individually Memtest OK at default settings. Then try running them together.... check the MB manual for correct placement - that is slots for dual modules.

Check for BIOS update.

It maybe a combination of mem chips and MB chipset that do not work together.

·
Premium Member
8,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ncsa

First you will need to prove that each module is individually Memtest OK at default settings. Then try running them together.... check the MB manual for correct placement - that is slots for dual modules.

Check for BIOS update.

It maybe a combination of mem chips and MB chipset that do not work together.

I am pretty sure it's a bad slot. Both chips work fine in slot two. Both chips fail in slot one. Both chips fail when used together. I only have two slots so there isn't much more I can try. Do you think I should get a 1Gb stick and use slot 2 or just get my motherboard RMA'ed and see if that fixes it?

·
Premium Member
5,141 Posts
Well if both Modules are ok in Slot 1 then change the MB out... but do check that there are no BIOS settings for dual modules.

Running 1Gb is OK but eventually you will want another module so if the slot is fault then it will become a problem again.

·
Premium Member
8,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Well if both Modules are ok in Slot 1 then change the MB out... but do check that there are no BIOS settings for dual modules.

Running 1Gb is OK but eventually you will want another module so if the slot is fault then it will become a problem again.

Good point. I guess I'll get a new mobo for the future. What do you mean by check bios settings for dual modules though?

·
Premium Member
5,141 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishie36

Good point. I guess I'll get a new mobo for the future. What do you mean by check bios settings for dual modules though?

Look for settings such as Bank Interleave, try Disable and see if that helps.

·
Premium Member
8,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Look for settings such as Bank Interleave, try Disable and see if that helps.

I don't think it had that... anyway the board is already off for RMA. I'm back to my GA-K8NS pro and it's working fine now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts