Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, so I got Metro 2033. I started playing it, and the first thing I noticed was just terrible fps. I'd say anywhere from 15-25. My rig is below. Shouldn't I be able to run this at higher settings? My monitor is 1080p (1920x1080), and I can play most demanding games like this effortlessly (BFBC2 on multiplayers gets usually about 45-60 FPS, and barely ever dips below 40.

I tried playing on all settings, in dx9 and dx10, and in dx10, none of the settings (low-very high) looked much different from one another. Is there a known problem with this? I have the latest drivers.

·
I lieks teh cheese
2,097 Posts
I think it's just a poorly optimized game, that's all

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Ya this game is intens. I only get 40 fps with max settings @ 1920x1080.

·
Premium Member
10,813 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhRe4k View Post
I think it's just a poorly optimized game, that's all
Seriously, every game that is high end and requires big hardware is not "poorly optimized". It has nothing to do with "opitimizations". Can you accurately describe what that even means without using generalizations?

Its a game with good graphics, lots of shader effects, etc. and is only going to run well on high end hardware.

I couldn't run it at 1920x1200 with my 4890 maxed out, I had to reduce some of the specs. Its one of those games that really requires a nice rig.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DorkSterr View Post
Ya this game is intens. I only get 40 fps with max settings @ 1920x1080.
total bs

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by littledonny View Post
total bs
Remember, that's on DX10 not DX11, not sure how big of a difference it makes, but i'm sure there's some.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerand View Post
Remember, that's on DX10 not DX11, not sure how big of a difference it makes, but i'm sure there's some.
then it's not maxed, DUCY?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
weirdest thing... I restarted my system and now even on Very High (DX10 of course) it is more than playable. This same thing happens to Bad Company 2 sometimes. Exactly, sometimes when I run a game, it has EXTREMELY low framerate (BFBC2 gives me about 20 in multiplayer as opposed to 45-60, and Metro gives me 8 AS OPPOSED TO 35-50!) Restarting always fixes this. Any ideas on what this is?

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xAPOCALYPSEx View Post
weirdest thing... I restarted my system and now even on Very High (DX10 of course) it is more than playable. This same thing happens to Bad Company 2 sometimes. Exactly, sometimes when I run a game, it has EXTREMELY low framerate (BFBC2 gives me about 20 in multiplayer as opposed to 45-60, and Metro gives me 8 AS OPPOSED TO 35-50!) Restarting always fixes this. Any ideas on what this is?
this is a driver issue, i used to get it with my 295

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Lol, I know this is probably a fat lot of help, but metro runs wonderfully on my machine in all three direct x options, although I have noticed occasional jerkiness i would attribute that more to the fact that it's on steam than anything else

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by littledonny View Post
then it's not maxed, DUCY?
You know damn well what he meant, and generally it is still considered max.

It is the absolute max settings that he can put, as DX11 isn't supported by his video card.

So yes, on his system, his settings are maxed.

Edit:

Quote:
Lol, I know this is probably a fat lot of help, but metro runs wonderfully on my machine in all three direct x options, although I have noticed occasional jerkiness i would attribute that more to the fact that it's on steam than anything else
You practically have Tri-fire 5870, of course it works.

·
Premium Member
10,813 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by reedo
View Post

What would that have to do with anything? The game isn't being streamed from the steam service like onlive you know. Its running local on your system just like it would if it wasn't downloaded through steam.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
It's just that ive noticed more stutter with steam games, metro in particular, than my games with a physical copy

·
Registered
537 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xAPOCALYPSEx
View Post

definite chance these games have memory leak issues simliar to gta iv. download memturbo 4 and try setting the memory recovery level to like 50 or 100 MB.

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by reedo View Post
It's just that ive noticed more stutter with steam games, metro in particular, than my games with a physical copy
All 1GB or less cards (which all of yours are) are going to be prone to hitching at certain parts in Metro on Very High settings and 1920x1080 or above. This game can hog up 1100MB of vram no problem at those settings, even higher in some parts.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
first of all the game is NOT the new Crysis..why..

the game is generally well optimized, except for one feature that is the reason behind the terrible FPS that even the HD5850/70 and the GTX470 owners are getting

If you notice the FPS-raping begins once you enable very-high settings, the reason for that is not the shaders nor tessellation or any other feature, they all have a minor impact on FPS except for one option which you can only disable from the engine.ini:

That feature which is causing everyone FPS problems and leading them to think that the game is demanding is nothing but ADOF (advanced depth of field) which usually isn't demanding at all in modern games and shouldn't be but in Metro 2033's case this options isn't optimized and will rape anyone's FPS regardless of what GPU you have

In a similar thread to this, a guy with HD5850 was getting the same FPS as my HD5770 with ADOF ON using the same res and same settings even though he had a 30-70% faster card and a highly OC Q core over my moderately OC'ed dual core

when both of us disabled ADOF, our FPS skyrocketed and the game was smooth for both of us except that this time he had a 40% better FPS than me at the same res

so

Disable ADOF

problem solved

·
Registered
504 Posts
im running a gtx 260 and it lags on 4x aa 16xasf low settings and d10 and at times in the game i get 10-15fps at 1680x1050

1 - 20 of 33 Posts