Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just installed Metro 2033 on my second build and i'm getting a weird sound glitch, only impact sounds are playing the gun firing sounds are absent from the game.

PC:
Q9450 @ 2.67 ghz
GTX 260 192 core
500gb HDD
4 gb ram
Onboard sound card.

On this build i only run at High DX9 no AA and 4AF. My sig build plays this no problem.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Is it an original copy of the game or did you download it from some where?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Its a steam game. Go into game properties and verify the game cache. That may work.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrThc View Post
Probably pirated, no reason for the sounds not to work.
Excellent Deduction Watson!

I've had this problem in legit games before. Don't be so quick to accuse people.

There are PLENTY of reasons it might not work.

Update all your hardware drivers (Chipset, sound card, GPU) and reinstall the game if that doesn't help. A file could be missing from the install. If you bought it through steam you can try defragging/integrity checking the game files.

Also look in the sound settings in the options menu. I suppose if you have it set to 5.1 or a surround speaker setup you wouldn't get all the channels in a set of headphones or stereo PC speakers.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No it's not a pirated version i bought it off steam store but ironically my friend who DID pirate it has no issues.

·
Starting to become a BOFH
10,471 Posts
Try a reinstall. Steam can be goofy like that.

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hildolf View Post
Its a steam game. Go into game properties and verify the game cache. That may work.
This. I had an issue with CoD WaW on steam and this fixed it for me

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fistof40k View Post
Ok will do, also if it helps, i cannot hear people unless looking away from them.
Is it just this game?
Sounds like a problem my brother had with his sound system with some games. Basically he had a digital out connection and the sound card or game didn't really support it well. Whenever he faced an enemy, there was no sound. He had to look away to hear something. To fix it he did away with his 5.1 speaker system altogether and got a standard one with no digital out connection.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gib007 View Post
Is it just this game?
Sounds like a problem my brother had with his sound system with some games. Basically he had a digital out connection and the sound card or game didn't really support it well. Whenever he faced an enemy, there was no sound. He had to look away to hear something. To fix it he did away with his 5.1 speaker system altogether and got a standard one with no digital out connection.
Thats almost exactly whats happening! It's happening in Mass effect 2 and in Metro 2033, thanks much will try to get my hands on a different sound system.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fistof40k View Post
Thats almost exactly whats happening! It's happening in Mass effect 2 and in Metro 2033, thanks much will try to get my hands on a different sound system.
No problem!
Maybe you can try different speakers/earphones/headphones connected directly to the sound card?
If not, then you can try different sound card drivers?
Then maybe a different sound card altogether?
That's the order in which I would chase this up. Easiest to most bother, hehe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts