Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right to start off this game is very good IMO especially played at night in the dark with headphones on loud. Can be really intense!

But even on my GTX 480 i noticed the gameplay slowing a slight bit. So i did a bit of research and found a few tweaks that can help improve performance drastically.

First of all if you have a DX11 set up;

- Disable DOV(Depth of View): for some reason this can improve fps by somewhere between 10 and 20 fps which it did on mine it jumped by a stupid amount and with fraps reported that with DOV off, AAA(anti aliasing) and Ansiotropic filtering at 4X I hit 100FPS in certain places of the bridge level.

These don't require a DX11 set up;

-Enable Vsync: this can either be done in Nvidia Control Panel/ Equivalent ATi program(don't know how to do it with Catalyst). This has been reported to also make the fps much more stable and slightly higher.
This can be also be done by changing the values in the user.cfg file in the metro 2033 folder.

-Enable Triple Buffering: again this setting can be set in Nvidia control panel (not sure about ATi cards again). This combined with the Vsync tweak has been reported to also produce gains in fps in truth i only saw about a 3-5 fps increase but still the more the merrier.

-Change Global Illumination: this has to be changed in the user.cfg file in the metro 2033 install folder open the cfg in notepad and edit the value to 1.
The value needed to be changed is r_gi 0 change the 0 to 1. However this is not reccomended on lower end CPU's as for some reason it provides a decrease in performance.(Note it does not make a difference in DX9)

Eye Candy Settings

Anti Aliasing
Going from AAA to MSAAX4 i saw literally little to no difference in visual appearance so for me I leave it to AAA for a smoother gameplay expeirence.

Ansiotropic Filtering
Same as above I saw little difference going to 16X Ansiotropic so if you prefer a smoother game leave to 4X.

Hope this helps some people at least.

·
Registered
81 Posts
O wow I bought the game like last month on sale on steam and havent played it yet. Hopefully my rig will be up to it when i decide to play.

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
A couple points of clarification:
1) Triple buffering in the NVCP only affects OpenGL games. To get triple-buffering in DX games you have to use D3DOverrider (part of the rivatuner package).
2) It's called Depth of Field not Depth of View.
3) I've not actually tried it but I'm pretty sure global illumination ON changes the look of the game pretty significantly.

If you still struggle for FPS in this game, save yourself some headache and just run on High with no AA or DoF, and most higher-end cards can handle this pretty well. If your card needs more help, turn off tessellation. All other things equal, DX11 is *supposed* to run better than DX10 according to the game devs.

·
Hold on to your butts!
3,213 Posts
You see no difference in AA because you play at 1600x900.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wingzero View Post
These don't require a DX11 set up;

-Enable Vsync: this can either be done in Nvidia Control Panel/ Equivalent ATi program(don't know how to do it with Catalyst). This has been reported to also make the fps much more stable and slightly higher.
This can be also be done by changing the values in the user.cfg file in the metro 2033 folder.

-Enable Triple Buffering: again this setting can be set in Nvidia control panel (not sure about ATi cards again). This combined with the Vsync tweak has been reported to also produce gains in fps in truth i only saw about a 3-5 fps increase but still the more the merrier.

-Change Global Illumination: this has to be changed in the user.cfg file in the metro 2033 install folder open the cfg in notepad and edit the value to 1.
The value needed to be changed is r_gi 0 change the 0 to 1. However this is not reccomended on lower end CPU's as for some reason it provides a decrease in performance.(Note it does not make a difference in DX9)

Eye Candy Settings

Anti Aliasing
Going from AAA to MSAAX4 i saw literally little to no difference in visual appearance so for me I leave it to AAA for a smoother gameplay expeirence.

Ansiotropic Filtering
Same as above I saw little difference going to 16X Ansiotropic so if you prefer a smoother game leave to 4X.

Hope this helps some people at least.
I see a difference between AAA / MSAAX4 and 16x / 4x AF

With changing Global illumination, what kind of impact does it have on the lighting? Positive, negative, none? I can't find comparison screens for it.

And i'm assuming enabling triple buffering and Vsync wouldn't graphically have an impact on my eye candy.

·
Registered
149 Posts

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hurtn4ASquirtn View Post
Hey guys I use a program called Game Booster its free and it shuts down all unused programs and apps that are not needed before you game.
only frees up your RAM memory but doesnt help ingame when u have plents of GB's left XD

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Although many of you struggle getting the game working on very high or high, some of us are struggling to get the game working on 'Low'

Don't get me wrong, i have a new rig which runs the game great, but i want to make it work for the system in the sig.

I tried running the game on Low, 800x600 and the most fps i can get is 5-7 and maybe 8 when oc-ed...also goes a bit up in different areas of the game.

Any suggestions on how to improve FPS on the system in sig?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts