Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching for hours on anyone having similar issues and came up with nothing. The problem seems to be the gamma. I can fully adjust the gamma through the in game slider and it works completely. The issue is in-game when I am playing. If my aiming reticule points at, or I enter an area darker than the rest of the map (eg. dark corner, under something) the whole game tries to compensate or something, and makes EVERYTHING darker. So when I'm searching for ammo in a corner where its darker, all of a sudden it looks like the gamma has been turned down to its lowest setting. Then I back up or turn around, and it flashed back to normal "gamma". Being as how critical lighting is in this game, this is a major annoyance, and takes away my will to finish it if I can't resolve this. The kicker: when trying to record this in FRAPS, it still happened as usual, but when I played back the video, it showed no changes in lighting/gamma, it looked exactly how the game should have played if their were no issues.

Things I've done:

-restarted pc
-restarted steam
-COMPLETELY removed all drivers and registry of AMD/ATi and installed latest drivers (13.8)
-Gone into user.cfg file and changed gamma value to 1
-Clicked "Use Defaults" in the in game options
-Reset to default clocks(925/1375) instead of my overclocks (1200/1800)

If you need to further visualize what I'm trying to describe, I am going to record the screen with an external source because the screen capture software does not record the changes in gamma/lighting.

I use a Diamond 7970 gpu. I cannot pinpoint when this started, as the whole time I literally thought it was some kind of flickering light and payed no mind to it. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

·
Old / New to OC.net
801 Posts
If you suspect its AMD drivers, try other driver.... lets say 13.4..... if it happens again... its not amd...

I am no expert or so could be a game feature...... I already finish Metro Last Light.... but I was not bothered although maybe I didnt notice that one... I just turned on flash light when its dark lol.....

anyway, have you done any changes on your CCC control? your video or gaming... if you did try resetting everything... well I doubt though because you just said you reinstall...

but try my first suggestion first
thumb.gif

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I actually originally noticed the problem while on 13.4 drivers, then upgraded to 13.8 to see if it fixed it. I may try reverting again just to make sure. And I have not even opened the CCC app, so no changes there. Right now, I saved all my saved game files and am reinstalling the game through steam. It's just so weird, like why would it not show up on fraps, but it does when I'm playing? Next I'm going to disable my 7970 and run the game through integrated graphics to see if it still persists. Thanks for the suggestions though!

·
Registered
941 Posts
Is this the only area in which it occurs? I too get a little bit of flickering with my setup on Nvidia cards. But I get it randomly.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfox View Post

do you have other games to try with?
I have lots of games. My setup hasnt changed since I played Metro 2033, and it did not occur in that game from what I remember. Nothing like this happened in Bioshock Infinite either. I will further investigate by playing other games.
Quote:
Is this the only area in which it occurs? I too get a little bit of flickering with my setup on Nvidia cards. But I get it randomly.
It happens all the time, in dark spots. Is what you experienced exactly like this? Where it was random flickering, but a certain area/location that triggered it? Like in the video, I got to the area, and turn slowly back and forth and you can pin point the spot where everything gets dark.

After recording this, I further tested gamma settings. I put it on the darkest gamma setting, and going to the lit area completely illuminated it as if it was back to default "middle" setting on gamma. This is so ridiculous.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Weirdly enough I had a similar problem with the frame rate dropping to 10. But this was after playing 60% of the game in 60+ fps, never updating anything on my computer, but when I got to a certain level everything went to hell. No solution found yet for me.

EDIT: I also use AMD GPUs, dual 7950s, and I doubt they were the issues because the game worked beyond perfect before at the highest settings until said time.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOwlHootHoot View Post

Weirdly enough I had a similar problem with the frame rate dropping to 10. But this was after playing 60% of the game in 60+ fps, never updating anything on my computer, but when I got to a certain level everything went to hell. No solution found yet for me.

EDIT: I also use AMD GPUs, dual 7950s, and I doubt they were the issues because the game worked beyond perfect before at the highest settings until said time.
I am currently on the level "Underworld"

·
Registered
866 Posts
I don't wish to spoil your game if you aren't far enough in it......so I will make a spoiler, open it if you please. But beware it is a spoiler if you are not far enough in.
Right after you meet up with that chick and the door explodes and they take her hostage. Right after that my game started to go bonkers, right as the elevator lift down into the mines started.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOwlHootHoot View Post

I don't wish to spoil your game if you aren't far enough in it......so I will make a spoiler, open it if you please. But beware it is a spoiler if you are not far enough in.
Right after you meet up with that chick and the door explodes and they take her hostage. Right after that my game started to go bonkers, right as the elevator lift down into the mines started.
Nothing spoiled, that already happened. And That's the level I am on.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
I can confirm its not driver related- Iam getting 10 fps no matter what graphic setting iam on! Totally unplayable, I tried real old version 12.3 and 13.8 same problem. I also noticed the Tessilation setting is missing on mine as well,what the hell is going on now? Iam wondering if it has something to do with Steam?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Its not through steam. I don't play my game through steam. The level in question is just very intense and has a lot to load in a small space. So when one thing goes wrong.....its gonna hurt because there's a lot of it. I recommend tinkering with your catalyst control settings for games and playing it on a lower video setting.

·
Registered
755 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmindsets View Post

It happens all the time, in dark spots. Is what you experienced exactly like this? Where it was random flickering, but a certain area/location that triggered it? Like in the video, I got to the area, and turn slowly back and forth and you can pin point the spot where everything gets dark.

After recording this, I further tested gamma settings. I put it on the darkest gamma setting, and going to the lit area completely illuminated it as if it was back to default "middle" setting on gamma. This is so ridiculous.
I get the same issue randomly too. It happens infrequently, but it does occur in dark places once in a blue moon. I get mine in those catacombs levels, where it isn't very bright at all (pretty sure the same exact spot you're in).

I did a clean driver install and it very rarely appears anymore, if ever. However, mine is Nvidia, so it could POSSIBLY be AMD related. Sorry I can't be of more assistance.
frown.gif

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slightly skewed View Post

Back up the save file and start a new game? From the video it looks like an eye adaptation issue.
Can you elaborate on "eye adaptation" ?
Quote:
I can confirm its not driver related- Iam getting 10 fps no matter what graphic setting iam on! Totally unplayable, I tried real old version 12.3 and 13.8 same problem. I also noticed the Tessilation setting is missing on mine as well,what the hell is going on now? Iam wondering if it has something to do with Steam?
type "%localappdata% in your start search and hit enter. Then go into 4A Games folder, then Metro LL folder. Then click the folder that starts with 1's and 0's and open the user.cfg file. Scroll down to the r_api line and tell me the value that comes after, should be 0,1, or 2. If its 0, try changing it to 1 or 2.
Quote:
could the auto-dimming be due to your LG monitor? these are old threads though (and don't describe near-instantaneous dimming in your vid):
I do have an LG monitor, however my Auto Bright feature is off. The issue definitely does not seem to be correlated to the monitor settings, the best way to describe it would be the gamma changing dynamically due to the lighting, but not in a good way. I can't wrap my head around the fact that FRAPS doesn't record the change in "lighting/gamma" at all.
Quote:
I get the same issue randomly too. It happens infrequently, but it does occur in dark places once in a blue moon. I get mine in those catacombs levels, where it isn't very bright at all (pretty sure the same exact spot you're in).

I did a clean driver install and it very rarely appears anymore, if ever. However, mine is Nvidia, so it could POSSIBLY be AMD related. Sorry I can't be of more assistance. frown.gif
Is it possible that this is something the dev team put into the game, and nobody has really noticed it? I haven't seen any threads or videos displaying this issue at all. I'm starting to think my GPU is the culprit, but then again, shouldn't the lighting change rendered by the gpu be recorded in Fraps if it indeed was my gpu?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmindsets View Post

I do have an LG monitor, however my Auto Bright feature is off.
Can u verify if LG's f-engine & Auto Bright are the same or separete features? From what I read, they seem to be different features (and are disabled separately).

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by misoonigiri View Post

Can u verify if LG's f-engine & Auto Bright are the same or separete features? From what I read, they seem to be different features (and are disabled separately).
I don't know if they are all the same, but my LG Flatron monitor has 7 buttons, or touch sensors rather. They go from left to right:
(smart) (fun) (menu) (f-engine) (source) (auto/set) (power).

The auto bright feature can be turned on or off through the (smart) button.

When you press the (f-engine) button, you have different presets, which are from left to right: Movie, Internet, User, Normal, Demo. When you press the user button, you can adjust a slider named "ACE" from 0-2, and a slider named "RCM" from 0-3. I don't know what either of these are, but I have it set to User, 0 on both, which is equivalent to the "Normal" setting.

Hope that helps.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts