Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
206 Posts
Both have similar panel issues with quality control.. Personally, I love G-Sync.. although it's buggy with multiple monitors right now so I can't have any external monitors connected if I want to use G-Sync.. Personally, I think the mg279q is better for the money end of the day.. ULMB is another plus of the PG279q but nobody really uses it much (maybe competitive CS players or something).
 

·
PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer
Joined
·
14,431 Posts
Uh, is the PC you have listed on your profile up to date? I hope not. GTX 460 SLI isn't good enough for 2560 x 1440 and they won't get you G-SYNC anyway.

But I think you're right, the only differences between those module is one has a G-SYNC module (providing G-SYNC and ULMB) and the other doesn't but has FreeSync instead.

The BenQ XL2730z is a better investment than the MG278Q. Both are very similar but the XL2730z has its own blur reduction that's seemingly better than ULMB (it works between 60 and 144 Hz, instead of just 85/100/120 Hz). It also seems to have better QC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredgunner View Post

Uh, is the PC you have listed on your profile up to date? I hope not. GTX 460 SLI isn't good enough for 2560 x 1440 and they won't get you G-SYNC anyway.

But I think you're right, the only differences between those module is one has a G-SYNC module (providing G-SYNC and ULMB) and the other doesn't but has FreeSync instead.

The BenQ XL2730z is a better investment than the MG278Q. Both are very similar but the XL2730z has its own blur reduction that's seemingly better than ULMB (it works between 60 and 144 Hz, instead of just 85/100/120 Hz). It also seems to have better QC.
My Sig must not have updated. Current system is a 6700k with GTX 980ti.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since I'm more into fallout 4 and skyrim and not really playing FPS games on my PC I think maybe an IPS will be better. Is the color really as much better as people are claiming?
 

·
PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer
Joined
·
14,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunwolf View Post

My Sig must not have updated. Current system is a 6700k with GTX 980ti.
I see. In that case I suggest the PG278Q, Dell S2716DG, or Acer Predator XB271HU.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunwolf View Post

Since I'm more into fallout 4 and skyrim and not really playing FPS games on my PC I think maybe an IPS will be better. Is the color really as much better as people are claiming?
According to people who have owned both the PG278Q (TN) and XB270HU/PG279Q/XB271HU (IPS), the color accuracy is very close on both.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1562779/acer-xb270hu-vs-rog-swift-pg278q-side-by-side-photos-both-excellent-for-differing-reasons

The thread below includes the PG278Q, Dell S2716DG, XB270HU, XB271HU, and PG279Q compared although direct comparisons are only provided for some of them:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1554247/build-log-vegas-2015-chromed-copper-tube-gaming-system

So the bigger potential problem for the TN monitors is the viewing angles and how much gamma/color shift there is head-on. For the IPS monitors, the biggest problem is IPS glow. Both are harmful to immersive gaming (e.g., Fallout 4 and Skyrim). I play both of those games and no competitive FPS games and have the XB270HU, and the IPS glow can be very annoying in some very dark areas.

All of these monitors have poor black performance and contrast mind you, which sucks for immersive gaming, but if you want decent blacks and contrast then you have to go with 1920 x 1080, 2560 x 1080 35", or 40" 4k which is very hard to run. And only one such monitor has G-SYNC and that's the Acer Predator Z35 which will cost $1,300 or more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredgunner View Post

I see. In that case I suggest the PG278Q, Dell S2716DG, or Acer Predator XB271HU.
According to people who have owned both the PG278Q (TN) and XB270HU/PG279Q/XB271HU (IPS), the color accuracy is very close on both.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1562779/acer-xb270hu-vs-rog-swift-pg278q-side-by-side-photos-both-excellent-for-differing-reasons

The thread below includes the PG278Q, Dell S2716DG, XB270HU, XB271HU, and PG279Q compared although direct comparisons are only provided for some of them:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1554247/build-log-vegas-2015-chromed-copper-tube-gaming-system

So the bigger potential problem for the TN monitors is the viewing angles and how much gamma/color shift there is head-on. For the IPS monitors, the biggest problem is IPS glow. Both are harmful to immersive gaming (e.g., Fallout 4 and Skyrim). I play both of those games and no competitive FPS games and have the XB270HU, and the IPS glow can be very annoying in some very dark areas.

All of these monitors have poor black performance and contrast mind you, which sucks for immersive gaming, but if you want decent blacks and contrast then you have to go with 1920 x 1080, 2560 x 1080 35", or 40" 4k which is very hard to run. And only one such monitor has G-SYNC and that's the Acer Predator Z35 which will cost $1,300 or more.
Thanks for the info. Now since I have a triple monitor setup currently (I would replace my main with the new one so it will still be 3) I can't use g-sync. Would it be better to just go with the monitor without gsync or is it that much better?
 

·
PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer
Joined
·
14,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunwolf View Post

Thanks for the info. Now since I have a triple monitor setup currently (I would replace my main with the new one so it will still be 3) I can't use g-sync. Would it be better to just go with the monitor without gsync or is it that much better?
Interesting. Do you mean a surround setup? Most people look to match all three displays. If you want to use a triple monitor surround setup, then don't bother with G-SYNC. Your best bet in that case might be an Eizo Foris FG2421 to keep a consistent size. With the FG2421 you get good blacks, 5000:1 static contrast, 120 Hz refresh rate, and blur reduction.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredgunner View Post

Interesting. Do you mean a surround setup? Most people look to match all three displays. If you want to use a triple monitor surround setup, then don't bother with G-SYNC. Your best bet in that case might be an Eizo Foris FG2421 to keep a consistent size. With the FG2421 you get good blacks, 5000:1 static contrast, 120 Hz refresh rate, and blur reduction.
No I just have another older 19" flat panel that I use for hardware monitoring and multitasking and I also have it connected to my 32" TV for more multitasking and because why not. I plan on plating games only on the main display.
 

·
PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer
Joined
·
14,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunwolf View Post

No I just have another older 19" flat panel that I use for hardware monitoring and multitasking and I also have it connected to my 32" TV for more multitasking and because why not. I plan on plating games only on the main display.
I see. If you aren't willing to sacrifice them then don't bother with G-SYNC as I don't think it will work. I wonder if ULMB works with other displays connected...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredgunner View Post

I see. If you aren't willing to sacrifice them then don't bother with G-SYNC as I don't think it will work. I wonder if ULMB works with other displays connected...
Alright at this point now you just have me torn between IPS and TN as you claim that IPS is not much better for color and my friend keeps telling me that 4ms response time is "hella slow."
 

·
PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer
Joined
·
14,431 Posts
Hah, well you can sort of judge for yourself. Take a look at these pictures from TFTCentral's reviews of the ASUS PG279Q (IPS) and PG278Q (TN), comparing motion clarity (which is what response time affects).




Notice there's some noticeable ghosting or inverse ghosting with the TN PG278Q, which is absent on the IPS models. Here is another comparison image.



And CallsignVega, has owned all of these monitors as well as the Acer XB271HU, has come to the conclusion that the XB271HU's response time is slightly faster than the PG279Q. So I would say if you go IPS, get the XB271HU since the PG279Q has an inferior bezel design and higher apparent defect rate. The only reason to get a TN is cost.
 

·
PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer
Joined
·
14,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunwolf View Post

Unfortunately cost is a very good reason.
Of course. The PG278Q still has pretty good color accuracy out of the box or with minor OSD tweaks. This is from TFTCentral's review of it:


Pretty good color accuracy, plenty good for a gamer. Perfect gamma and color temperature/white point. Lower the brightness (unless you're in a super bright room) and it will look plenty good to you I'm sure. If you can afford the XB271HU, go for it, but if not don't worry too much.

High refresh rate is a nice benefit if you can get a good enough frame rate to take advantage of it. Skyrim and FO4 however should be capped to 60 or just above that so it doesn't matter there. G-SYNC is so good though, I suggest unplugging your other displays and using it (or at least trying it).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
539 Posts
I just picked this up from fry's for $399 (MG278Q). Coming from the VG248QE, I didn't think i could be impressed anymore without going to a 34" ultrawide monitor. Not so! I'm not sure if it's because i'm used to TN panels, but this monitor is fantastic. 2560 x 1440, 1ms response time, freesync (range 40-144) and such a flexible stand adjustment. I don't know what there is to complain about. I also notice that lightbleed is minimal to nonexistent. I mean, it's there, but it's so faint as well as evenly dispersed vs noticeable spots throught the panel.

I know i'm not being technical, but you don't need to if you've used it yourself. I tried the new LG 27um67 (4k w/freesync and 4ms response) and i liked that monitor. It was beautiful and it played decently in both fps and moba style games. However, coming from 144hz monitor to 60hz monitor is a horrible and noticeable difference. Returned it and went with the asus because it just went on sale that day and was $100 cheaper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by la4ours View Post

I just picked this up from fry's for $399 (MG278Q). Coming from the VG248QE, I didn't think i could be impressed anymore without going to a 34" ultrawide monitor. Not so! I'm not sure if it's because i'm used to TN panels, but this monitor is fantastic. 2560 x 1440, 1ms response time, freesync (range 40-144) and such a flexible stand adjustment. I don't know what there is to complain about. I also notice that lightbleed is minimal to nonexistent. I mean, it's there, but it's so faint as well as evenly dispersed vs noticeable spots throught the panel.

I know i'm not being technical, but you don't need to if you've used it yourself. I tried the new LG 27um67 (4k w/freesync and 4ms response) and i liked that monitor. It was beautiful and it played decently in both fps and moba style games. However, coming from 144hz monitor to 60hz monitor is a horrible and noticeable difference. Returned it and went with the asus because it just went on sale that day and was $100 cheaper.
The Mg278q is still a TN pannel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,234 Posts
Anyone know if the panel is exactly the same as the PG278Q? I had the PG and it was a bad one, pixel inversion and some weird backlight blob in the center of the screen. If its the same panel then i would assume it still suffers from pixel inversion at least.

EDIT: Reason i ask is Newegg is having a sale on the MG278Q for $399.99 just like Frys recently had and it ends on 12/31/15 so its very tempting at that price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunwolf View Post

The Mg278q is still a TN pannel.
Ma'an! Now i need to go back and see which one i got
smile.gif
the 8q or the 9q. The 9q is the IPS and I think i've been double fisting the forums posting in threads for both monitors not realizing. Thanks for the reply
smile.gif
.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top