Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think there is a hidden benefit of mice with holes other than weight reduction and that is increased consistency in grip, holes may be used as a guide for ideal placement of fingers/thumb.

On that note there would be added benefit of a new product or possibly included as a feature for these mice and that's hole plugs.

1. I think conceptually they would protrude slightly making the sweet spot easier to return to and a noticable difference in feel from the exisiting shell. Possibly textured
2. Would increase consistency during practice
3. Needs to be durable but likely hallow since you still want weight reduction
4. Since holes are often throughout the entire side of the shell it makes it highly customizable
5. May be similar added benefit for having option for the mouse buttons (placement above the switch)

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
You're trying to equate holes in mice to the protruding notches on the F and J key on a keyboard, but people's hand sizes and grip styles are too different and varied for it to work on mice. Mice that force a specific grip style (G302) also cause more hand fatigue than a shape that allows you grip it just a little bit differently every hour or so to relax your hand so you don't get rigor mortis (like a Kana shape and to a lesser extent XM1).

·
Registered
84 Posts
I do not think holes mice feel great for palm grip users. It's just my opinion but many users have different tastes so just take my opinion as another taste. In addition, dust could come into your holes mice too.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do not think holes mice feel great for palm grip users. It's just my opinion but many users have different tastes so just take my opinion as another taste. In addition, dust could come into your holes mice too.
If I recall mice with holes also have a protective coating on PCB for such reason, water, dust etc.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're trying to equate holes in mice to the protruding notches on the F and J key on a keyboard, but people's hand sizes and grip styles are too different and varied for it to work on mice. Mice that force a specific grip style (G302) also cause more hand fatigue than a shape that allows you grip it just a little bit differently every hour or so to relax your hand so you don't get rigor mortis (like a Kana shape and to a lesser extent XM1).
The point is the plugs could be moved around to suite the users preference on each mouse, ideally you'd do it a few times over a few days until you found your ideal placement for the reference points. It's more difficult to do this on mice with smoothed exteriors if there's minimal contours/edges already such as on many modern ambi mice. So probably two things, reference points to act as a guide (notches as said) and/or something like miniature button like plugs (slightly protruding but indented) that would increase grip control of the mouse.

Agreed on the G302 that thing gets uncomfortable very quick, had it for a couple months and sold it.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Agreed on the G302 that thing gets uncomfortable very quick, had it for a couple months and sold it.
I think the G203/G Pro shape cramps my hand more than the G302 does. Probably because it's harder to grip so you have to squeeze the mouse harder. Whereas something like a Kana or XM1 shape you don't have to squeeze the mouse to prevent it flying out of your hand. The properly shaped rear end provides an anchor. Anemic rear end mice are a terrible idea imo.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts