Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2600K from local B&M microcenter.... Now I see a lot of people looking for "golden chips". Microcenter has a 30 day exchange policy on thier CPU's. Does this mean I can keep exchanging CPU's until I find one I am content with?

Anyone have any experience with this?

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
umm no it needs be defective

·
Registered
329 Posts
I think exchange meaning..if there is something defective/not compatible with what you have, you can exchange it for a different cpu. Not 100% sure though!

·
Registered
992 Posts
Um, no. If it's defective you can exchange it.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am not attempting to violate any retail return policy so I appreciate the responces. However how would they know/verify if the chip is infact defective? Its not like they have a test bench setup to test every CPU exchange they fulfull. I would guess that they would accept the return/exhange for the same merchandise, and then send the chip back to intel as "defective return" item. Microcenter would then be reimbursed for the defective item by intel... Who knows what intel would then do with said "defective" chip.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuiees;13089718
I am not attempting to violate any retail return policy so I appreciate the responces. However how would they know/verify if the chip is infact defective? Its not like they have a test bench setup to test every CPU exchange they fulfull. I would guess that they would accept the return/exhange for the same merchandise, and then send the chip back to intel as "defective return" item. Microcenter would then be reimbursed for the defective item by intel... Who knows what intel would then do with said "defective" chip.
They test it there instore.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Returning something as defective when its not is at the very least abusing the system, and possibly even illegal. In short, just don't do it.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's why I ask... And the only reason it would be unethical, illegal; is if it is stated explicitly in their return policy.

Costco used to accept returns/exchanges for all thier products no matter how long you have used/abused it... I bought a 65" HDTV from there a few years ago, and returned it over a year later for full purchase price no questions asked. Simply because they had a 100% satisfation garuntee on all their items. They have since changed their policy on returns and exchanges on electronics, but just stating an example...

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuiees;13089880
That's why I ask... And the only reason it would be unethical, illegal; is if it is stated explicitly in their return policy.

Costco used to accept returns/exchanges for all thier products no matter how long you have used/abused it... I bought a 65" HDTV from there a few years ago, and returned it over a year later for full purchase price no questions asked. Simply because they had a 100% satisfation garuntee on all their items. They have since changed their policy on returns and exchanges on electronics, but just stating an example...
Here's directly from Microcenter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microcenter
Service parts, motherboards and processors may only be exchanged, and only if defective, within 30 days of purchase if in "like-new" condition. Labor, installation services and any shipping charges are non-refundable.
http://www.microcenter.com/customer_support/return_policy.html

So, logic(Yes, we're going to sound smart here) should tell you that if it is NOT defective you cannot return it nor should you be unethical and lie about it.

·
Premium Member
10,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuiees;13089880

so something has to be written somewhere for you to know its wrong?

·
god loves ugly
4,240 Posts
A friend of mine will often have Microcenter employees dig through the supply for a specific batch. Granted, this doesn't help since you already have a CPU, but the option is there to get a specific one (if available) when you're making a purchase.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by microman;13089931
so something has to be written somewhere for you to know its wrong?
I am not attemping to abuse the return policy. It was simply an iquiry regarding the matter. And if microcenter belives that it is better for them to "eat" the cost of returned items in exchange for 100% customer satisfaction, well then... It is like they are encouraging the act, if you are not infact 100% satisfied with the item you purchased.

Like I stated earlier, this was simply an iquiry, not a plan of action. Flame on if you must...

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by microman;13090084
i just dont understand why this ? needs to be asked i mean its pretty obvious that what you wanna do isnt the right thing to do.
We live in America where capitalism rules. If intel/microcenter would rather exchange the CPU than have an unsasified customer (regardless of reason), that is their choice to make. If they don't, they can tell me to "shove it". That is fine too... I just wanted to know if anyone had clarification.

I am glad your looking out for intels best intrest, but once again this is America, and you can't just do whatever the hell you want. Most things need to be put in wriring to hold up in court. K thnx.

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehmaggot;13089963
A friend of mine will often have Microcenter employees dig through the supply for a specific batch. Granted, this doesn't help since you already have a CPU, but the option is there to get a specific one (if available) when you're making a purchase.
Yup, a friend did this at a local Microcenter. The first employee said "no" but he found another employee that was nice enough to do so.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thAche;13090206
They don't have to be defective to return, but it's pretty D-Bag to buy/return to find a chip that does what you want. Somebody pays for it.
I agree. Thank you for the meaningful insight to the topic and not just your personal ethical viewpoint. +rep

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I would imagine you only paid $280 for the cpu excluding tax? You should be able to sell it for $270-290 here or on ebay. You May lose a few bucks here and there looking for a better chip, but no worries about being caught trying to rip microcenter off.

I bought and sold 5x 2500K's to pay for my 2600K thanks to microcenter's low cpu prices.

·
Banned
784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thAche;13090206
They don't have to be defective to return, but it's pretty D-Bag to buy/return to find a chip that does what you want. Somebody pays for it.
oh really? better let microcenter know they made an error on their website then
thumb.gif

Non-returnable and non-refundable items
Special buy or clearance items are not returnable unless otherwise indicated on the label attached to the product. Service parts, motherboards and processors may only be exchanged, and only if defective, within 30 days of purchase if in "like-new" condition. Labor, installation services and any shipping charges are non-refundable.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts