Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Quote:
I'd never buy that board again. I purchased 4 r9 290x. Three were MSI (a Lightning and 2 gamers) and they have been great as far as AMD video boards go. The GV-R929XOC-4GD has been returned or RMA'd 4 times... I just got a replacement Monday. At least Gigabyte started picking up the UPS shipping costs the last two times.

Anyway... beware
smile.gif

·
Registered
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbond007 View Post

I'd never buy that board again. I purchased 4 r9 290x. Three were MSI (a Lightning and 2 gamers) and they have been great as far as AMD video boards go. The GV-R929XOC-4GD has been returned or RMA'd 4 times... I just got a replacement Monday. At least Gigabyte started picking up the UPS shipping costs the last two times.

Anyway... beware
smile.gif
Seems like I got lucky. Had two of those and neither had a single problem. Cooling is great.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirotvorez113 View Post

Seems like I got lucky. Had two of those and neither had a single problem. Cooling is great.
Yeah. I agree. Cooling is much better than my MSI gamers - before I went to red mod on those.

Its a pretty card
smile.gif

Maybe I just had bad luck - really bad luck
frown.gif

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Heat issues on a GPU card both red/green are usually fixed by the guru that simply reapplies the TIM. The orientals were probably at the end of their shift that applied it at the factory. With that said, if it ain't broke by your estimates, don't fix it. Shin-Etsu grades are most popular for TIM for GPU and CPU for it's fast curing time.

I have a very open ear to other TIM success stories . . .

To the OP, this is a very good deal (for gamers) esp for those considering the FreeSync LCD route

·
Registered
105 Posts
Great GPU. I've owned one for quite a long time now, and and its newer brother now push my Free Sync 3440x1440p. I got it for around this same price two years ago and I must say... the 290x has really lived a productive life.

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by xDorito View Post

Great GPU. I've owned one for quite a long time now, and and its newer brother now push my Free Sync 3440x1440p. I got it for around this same price two years ago and I must say... the 290x has really lived a productive life.
and Rebranded as R9 390x with 8GB and higher clocks and Power limit profile, and keep competitive with GTX 980 , but only with 4GB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts