Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Nice deal on the pro.

FYI the pro is the current Thunderbolt Macbook Pro with Sandy Bridge, the Air is a 2010 core 2 duo model with a GT320m, not the sandy bridge..

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by un1b4ll View Post

Nice deal on the pro.
FYI the pro is the current Thunderbolt Macbook Pro with Sandy Bridge, the Air is a 2010 core 2 duo model with a GT320m, not the sandy bridge..
Oh I didn't notice that. But if I recall correctly the 2010 model has longer battery life, rated at 10 hours.

But really, I doubt 99.9% of the people buying these units will even care about what's on the inside. Still a decent deal on both imo.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeNF View Post

Oh I didn't notice that. But if I recall correctly the 2010 model has longer battery life, rated at 10 hours.
But really, I doubt 99.9% of the people buying these units will even care about what's on the inside. Still a decent deal on both imo.
Yup better battery and better graphics too, the GT320 is just a tad faster than the intel HD3000. I agree, it's a great deal!

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grief View Post

Wow...can get an Asus for $700 on Newegg...not even on sale
That will blow those out of the water...
allofmywhy.jpg
Quote:

I know OCN probably isn't the best place to announce this, but at least anyone looking for one can save $200 on the Pro and $300 on the air:
Air: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0378203
Pro: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0378806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grief View Post

Wow...can get an Asus for $700 on Newegg...not even on sale
That will blow those out of the water...
allofmywhy.jpg
your right lol. put some how people still buy these overpriced macs.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolwaters View Post

your right lol. put some how people still buy these overpriced macs.
Not here to start a argument and if you do want to then bring it to my PM box but people buy them for the OS, stability, and software. The world doesn't just use laptops for gaming.

Also don't tell me hackintosh because there are very few units out there that can achieve 100% compatibility not to mention the legal issues.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthusiast View Post

Not here to start a argument and if you do want to then bring it to my PM box but people buy them for the OS, stability, and software. The world doesn't just use laptops for gaming.
im not saying its a bad deal. i got friends that buy this kind of stuff. (most regret it
tongue.gif
)

your right not everyone uses laptops for gaming. but its nice to know that you can with the kind of money your putting out.

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Quote:

Also don't tell me hackintosh because there are very few units out there that can achieve 100% compatibility not to mention the legal issues.
Agree. And hackintosh isn't illegal. Just against their terms.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolwaters View Post

im not saying its a bad deal. i got friends that buy this kind of stuff. (most regret it
tongue.gif
)
your right not everyone uses laptops for gaming. but its nice to know that you can with the kind of money your putting out.
Haha, just depends on what you need a laptop for. If you buy one with the intention of gaming on it and being hipster its easy to see why your friends would regret it. I personally own a late 2006 black macbook and am still using it as my main laptop simply because it does everything I need it to do (albiet a tad slower in intensive applications). I don't remember the last time i've had to restart and have never needed to reinstall the OS. Also the fact that its lasted this long without a hard case or laptop bag is proof of its build quality.

True that though. I just figure though that if I have my desktop at home for gaming and most of my free time is when i'm home there's no real point of a gaming laptop other than LAN parties and thus the tradeoff for gaming/Mac isn't worth it for me.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Quote:

Haha, just depends on what you need a laptop for. If you buy one with the intention of gaming on it and being hipster its easy to see why your friends would regret it. I personally own a late 2006 black macbook and am still using it as my main laptop simply because it does everything I need it to do (albiet a tad slower in intensive applications). I don't remember the last time i've had to restart and have never needed to reinstall the OS. Also the fact that its lasted this long without a hard case or laptop bag is proof of its build quality.
True that though. I just figure though that if I have my desktop at home for gaming and most of my free time is when i'm home there's no real point of a gaming laptop other than LAN parties and thus the tradeoff for gaming/Mac isn't worth it for me.
honestly i would get one. but the only thing holding me back is the fact that its not worth it for me in general. but i want one.

also last years models gets old fast...

·
Super Moderator
14,133 Posts
Quote:

It didn't have better battery life, if anything it's about the same as the latest ones. Apple just changed the algorithm or something to give it a more accurate prediction. I can't find it right now on their website though.

As for better performance for price, the MBP would be better than the MBA. You can also upgrade the RAM in the MBP if you need to but you can't in the Air because the RAM is soldered onto the motherboard. I don't think you can change the SSD in the Air either. I'm not 100% if you can change the SSD in the Air though.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrews2547 View Post

I'm not 100% if you can change the SSD in the Air though.
You can, it's one of those mini-PCIe blade SSDs.

The soldered-in RAM modules are a definite deal-breaker for me though.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Quote:

The world doesn't just use laptops for gaming. Also don't tell me hackintosh because there are very few units out there that can achieve 100% compatibility not to mention the legal issues.
He has a point. I have a Hackintosh but the only thing that doesnt work is sleep. Heck I even have TRIM running on my SSD which doesnt even come running on the Mac's that have SSD's in them. But, if I were to ever buy a new laptop with out a doubt it would be from apple. They just work...and look damn good while doing it. I am by no means an apple fanboy I still love me some windows. But for the mobile market the macbooks run sooo nice and stable and the software is fun to use.

·
Super Moderator
14,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usario View Post

ITT: rational people trying to have a rational discussion and apple haters who think people buy apple laptops based on the specs instead of on battery life, portability, the trackpad, software, etc
Macbook Pro and Macbook Air as the same battery life, trackpad and both can run the same software. The Air is more portable but overall IMO the Pro is better value for money.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts