Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
tcheru
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My kit of Hyperx 2x8Gb 15-15-15-35 2400MHz Micron B-Die memory can overclock to 16-17-18-36 2933 MHz, but doesn't post at any frequency higher (possibly a limit of the kit itself, or maybe the MB?). Due to the frequency limitation I've been looking for advice on how to improve performance with tighter subtimings, but I've no idea about where to start and how to balance all of them for the sake of stability (SO MANY NUMBERS).

Current subtimings seem to be all over the place (I've actually copied them from this thread https://www.overclock.net/forum/13-amd-general/1637940-micron-b-die-chips.html , where the OP used them to get his kit to 3200MHz frequency). Is anyone familiar with these Micron kits, and could provide a subtimings table I could reference?

Thanks and greetings from Brazil!

Config:
Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.8 GHz 1.38v SOC 1.1v
HyperX Fury 2x8 Gb 15-15-15-35 2400MHz @16-17-18-36 2933 MHz 1.4v
MSI B350m Mortar Arctic

RTC and Thaiphoon Report:

https://i.imgur.com/5JVf3ih.png

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Micron B-die likes voltage to run higher speeds. You mention 1.400Volts... To little for 3200Mhz. You need 1.4500++ usually for 3200Mhz.
And your motherboard is a "unknown" on how it performs with memory OC for me.

Most timings should be improvable though.

Start playing with RTT values and the DrvSTr values. Those are usually most critical to get right if you want higher speeds to boot even. AUTO doesn't work most optimal. Values needed usually differ from Motherboard vendor to another so as you have MSI I don't know what your board might like for best results.

You can test DrvStr up to 30/40Ohm to see if it increases your luck.(usually increases stability if you have errors with some particular settings)
RTT can be what you have as it either works with what you have or it doesn't, there might be a slightly better setting to increase stability but can be a chore to find and hard to validate that it works better.
ProcODT needs to be optimal for you specific memory kit. Try different values and see if you can boot at higher speeds with different ones. 68.8Ohm was optimal for my Micron B-die kit on my motherboard(dual rank 2xR8, you seem to have 1Rx8 single rank so might not need so high ~48Ohm Might be optimal).

·
tcheru
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice, I've also been told to try lower t(...)SCL and tRFC timings and check the results, will try that as soon as possible.

Is there any risk in trying different RTT and DrvSTr values, could it fry the ram or reduce its longevity? I'll look for more info on these paramaters and how to find the best values, most of what I've read about RAM overclocking only mentioned increasing the kit and SOC voltage and trying different subtimings.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
There should be no risk playing around with the settings. They will either work or not. Only thing is not to go too high on the Ohm values on the highest end for procODT or DrvStr, unnecessary.

You had 20nm 1Rx8 single rank Micron B-die. My experience was with what seems like to have been 25nm 2Rx8 dual-rank Micron B-die.

I achieved some different results depending on the BIOS version used with different AGESA.

Best was F7a bios for me 13.(14).17.17.30.44... (300) 1T Geardown "disabled". The thing was 1T and geardown "disabled" worked together with odd main timings... This has been broken for all bios afterwards, never fixed.
More recent BIOS F22B gave me 14.(14).17.17.31.48... (260) 1T Geardown "enabled".

·
tcheru
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tested some values suggested by Ryzen Ram Calculator, including RTT and DrvStr settings, and it magically worked, I now got my kit at 3200 MHz CL16 1.45v! Aida64 tests are noticeably better, with latency dropping from 83ms to 79ms. The other subtimings could be improved though, I'll try to test them at a later date. Thanks for the tips Nighthog, those RTT and DrvStr values were really the ones holding back the higher OCs!

RTC at current settings:

https://i.imgur.com/oRugAoG.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a LPX 3000C15 and I running 3200 MHz with 1.35v and SOC 1.05v.

With the Samsung B-die subtimings I have best performance that with Hynix (Just a Little). With 3333 MHz I have some crashes, I need to calibrate a little more to run with this frequency.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts