Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Providing a diverse set of Virtual Machine sizes and the latest hardware is crucial to making sure that our customers get industry-leading performance for every one of their workloads. Today, I am excited to announced we are introducing the next generation of storage-optimized L-series VMs powered by AMD EPYCTM processors.

We're thrilled to have AMD available as part of the Azure Compute family. We've worked closely with AMD to develop the next generation of storage optimized VMs called Lv2-Series, powered by AMD's EPYC™ processors. The Lv2-Series is designed to support customers with demanding workloads like MongoDB, Cassandra, and Cloudera that are storage intensive and demand high levels of I/O.

Lv2-Series VM's use the AMD EPYC™7551 processor, featuring a core frequency of 2.2Ghz and a maximum single-core turbo frequency of 3.0GHz. Lv2-Series VMs will come in sizes ranging up to 64 vCPU's and 15TB of local resource disk.

If you're interested in being one of the first to try out these new sizes as part of the preview for Lv2 VMs.




https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/announcing-the-lv2-series-vms-powered-by-the-amd-epyc-processor/

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/12/amd-epyc-processors-coming-to-azure-virtual-machines/

EPYC FTW.
 

·
Graphic Card Addiction
Joined
·
4,100 Posts
Quote:
"We are extremely excited to be partnering with Microsoft Azure to bring the power of AMD EPYC processors into their datacenter," said Scott Aylor, corporate vice president and general manager of Enterprise Solutions. "There is tremendous opportunity for users to tap into the capabilities we can deliver across storage and other workloads through the combination of AMD EPYC processors on Azure. We look forward to the continued close collaboration with Microsoft Azure on future instances throughout 2018."
[Guru3d]Source

This should be good for AMD(hopefully, for all us).

thumb.gif
 

·
TheStayHomeDad
Joined
·
578 Posts
Hopefully this will help Rainbow Six Siege Servers!
 

·
Top kek
Joined
·
3,595 Posts
AMD Stops doing reference Vega - stock falls by 10%.
AMD starts selling EPYC to Microsoft for Azure servers - no change. Come on
biggrin.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
536 Posts

·
Graphic Card Addiction
Joined
·
4,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myst-san View Post

The specs are for RX 560D variant. I think it was target at the Asian market. The problem is that AMD its not making clear differentiation and also making sure AIB partners are marking it up properly.
It appears to be a confusing time in the Graphics Division atm....we need them to compete...no matter who's corner we might be in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts
"We're thrilled to have AMD available as part of the Azure Compute family. We've worked closely with AMD to develop the next generation of storage optimized VMs called Lv2-Series, powered by AMD's EPYC™ processors."

AMD should be using quotes like this as marketing material so its in product descriptions, web listings, retail boxes, etc. They need glowing praise from big names like Microsoft to show off to the average Joe so people learn what they actually are. Most people know Intel, surprising numbers of people will say "AMD? Whats that?" and many of those likely still won't recognize the name when you tell them "they make CPUs like Intel does".

Having a value branded and "cheap" name recognition, or simply none at all, doesn't help push products. But everyone knows Microsoft. And "If MS is backing it for themselves, it must be good (and if its cheaper thats even better)." It wouldn't even matter if this is about EPYC server chips. Small print saying its a quote regarding a server chip from the same Zen family of CPUs would be more than enough to impress Joe Blow.

But AMD marketing is terrible... So yea...

Edit: I hate posting on mobile.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin1204 View Post

"We're thrilled to have AMD available as part of the Azure Compute family. We've worked closely with AMD to develop the next generation of storage optimized VMs called Lv2-Series, powered by AMD's EPYC™ processors."

AMD should be using quotes like this as marketing material so its in product descriptions, web listings, retail boxes, etc. They need glowing praise from big names like Microsoft to show off to the average Joe so people learn what they actually are. Most people know Intel, surprising numbers of people will say "AMD? Whats that?" and many of those likely still won't recognize the name when you tell them "they make CPUs like Intel does".

Having a value branded and "cheap" name recognition, or simply none at all, doesn't help push products. But everyone knows Microsoft. And "If MS is backing it for themselves, it must be good (and if its cheaper thats even better)." It wouldn't even matter if this is about EPYC server chips. Small print saying its a quote regarding a server chip from the same Zen family of CPUs would be more than enough to impress Joe Blow.

But AMD marketing is terrible... So yea...

Edit: I hate posting on mobile.
Who cares about Joe blow when you're selling pallets of chips to Microsoft ...

Not to mention these chips aren't meant for Joe Blows gaming PC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doritos93 View Post

Who cares about Joe blow when you're selling pallets of chips to Microsoft ...

Not to mention these chips aren't meant for Joe Blows gaming PC
Clearly not. You seem to have misunderstood the point of my post. Even if it is server chips, they could leverage this to help sell consumer grade tech. And that does matter also, otherwise AMD wouldn't be competing there.

But I'm rarely that clear and articulate my points poorly most times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin1204 View Post

Clearly not. You seem to have misunderstood the point of my post. Even if it is server chips, they could leverage this to help sell consumer grade tech. And that does matter also, otherwise AMD wouldn't be competing there.

But I'm rarely that clear and articulate my points poorly most times.
I understood your post, but I think you're talking about what Intel and Nvidia have with the sales of high end SKUs pushing sales of the lower end. The sales stay in the same segment. Gamers don't buy high end CPUs cause Intel dominate the server space..?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doritos93 View Post

I understood your post, but I think you're talking about what Intel and Nvidia have with the sales of high end SKUs pushing sales of the lower end. The sales stay in the same segment. Gamers don't buy high end CPUs cause Intel dominate the server space..?
If the first bold is true the second bold makes no sense.

In no way did I say or even imply gamers don't buy high end CPUs because Intel dominates the server space.

I said that most people don't recognize AMD as a brand like they do Intel. And if they do, its usually got negative annotations.

What this means for Joe Blow, and what my point was (and I thought it was pretty clear despite my bad explanations), is that Mr. Blow, when looking for that new PC or notebook/ultrabook will see names like Apple, Asus, Lenovo, Acer, HP, etc and see the Intel sticker and recognize it and they(possibly) trust it more. Whereas Mr. Blow may see an AMD sticker and wonder what it is, or associate it with being a "cheap" brand or part. This type of nake recognition, or lack thereof, can easily cost sales as Mr. Blow buys the product with the sticker of a brand he recognizes and has likely bought in the past.

So my point... Is that when a big name like MS puts out releases which sing praises of AMD and sounds like they trust the brand in its own products people might see AMD in a more positive light, and might be more willing to buy a product with an AMD sticker vs an Intel sticker.

Because lets be honest, most people can't understand the most basic of specs and just look for higher numbers.
More cores is better
Higher number GHZ is better
Higher number RAM is better
Higher number HDD is better (with some bing confused why one has a high number GB vs another having a low number TB)
Etc etc etc.
And then they see that blue sticker they recognize, have seen everywhere, its on the computers in offices, businesses,in the schools they went to and the vast majority of products being sold in the store they are browsing. When someone lays eyes on that blue sticker they are all to familiar with, then see that other, cheaper, product and they are laying down several hundred dollars they don't want to part with... Guess what? Familiarity is safe, secure, worth it.

So yea, I happen to think if the retail boxes, ads, displays, product listings etcetera had big names like MS or Apple or anyone else they know quite well saying AMD has awesome products and they helped work with AMD to make such great products and they are using AMD themselves... That will give a decent amount of weight to the uneducated buyer when looking at products.

Anyways I feel like we're getting a little off topic. I hope I made it clear this time...

I'm not saying people don't buy AMD due to Intel server dominance. I'm saying AMD could leverage any and all good press and quotes to sell products. Even if the quote is about EPYC, they could easily use it to help market their consumer grade products simply by saying both chips come from AMDs Zen family of CPUs.

Wow I ranted quite a bit there... Bet someone else could sum it up in 5 lines or less haha
smile.gif
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaC View Post

This is good for AMD. Corporations don't buy PC parts, they buy full systems from OEMs.
Corporations buy server racks with LOTS of CPUs. This is excellent for AMD!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin1204 View Post

If the first bold is true the second bold makes no sense.

In no way did I say or even imply gamers don't buy high end CPUs because Intel dominates the server space.

I said that most people don't recognize AMD as a brand like they do Intel. And if they do, its usually got negative annotations.

What this means for Joe Blow, and what my point was (and I thought it was pretty clear despite my bad explanations), is that Mr. Blow, when looking for that new PC or notebook/ultrabook will see names like Apple, Asus, Lenovo, Acer, HP, etc and see the Intel sticker and recognize it and they(possibly) trust it more. Whereas Mr. Blow may see an AMD sticker and wonder what it is, or associate it with being a "cheap" brand or part. This type of nake recognition, or lack thereof, can easily cost sales as Mr. Blow buys the product with the sticker of a brand he recognizes and has likely bought in the past.

So my point... Is that when a big name like MS puts out releases which sing praises of AMD and sounds like they trust the brand in its own products people might see AMD in a more positive light, and might be more willing to buy a product with an AMD sticker vs an Intel sticker.

Because lets be honest, most people can't understand the most basic of specs and just look for higher numbers.
More cores is better
Higher number GHZ is better
Higher number RAM is better
Higher number HDD is better (with some bing confused why one has a high number GB vs another having a low number TB)
Etc etc etc.
And then they see that blue sticker they recognize, have seen everywhere, its on the computers in offices, businesses,in the schools they went to and the vast majority of products being sold in the store they are browsing. When someone lays eyes on that blue sticker they are all to familiar with, then see that other, cheaper, product and they are laying down several hundred dollars they don't want to part with... Guess what? Familiarity is safe, secure, worth it.

So yea, I happen to think if the retail boxes, ads, displays, product listings etcetera had big names like MS or Apple or anyone else they know quite well saying AMD has awesome products and they helped work with AMD to make such great products and they are using AMD themselves... That will give a decent amount of weight to the uneducated buyer when looking at products.

Anyways I feel like we're getting a little off topic. I hope I made it clear this time...

I'm not saying people don't buy AMD due to Intel server dominance. I'm saying AMD could leverage any and all good press and quotes to sell products. Even if the quote is about EPYC, they could easily use it to help market their consumer grade products simply by saying both chips come from AMDs Zen family of CPUs.

Wow I ranted quite a bit there... Bet someone else could sum it up in 5 lines or less haha
smile.gif
So where should they put quotes about their successes in the server space... On retail boxes for consumer Ryzen?

Maybe they could put little leaflets in GPU packaging

We can at least agree that the amount of Mr Blows exposure to advertising from AMD Intel or Nvidia begins and ends at best buy or whatever B&M... So where is AMD supposed to leverage the success of their great server chips at best buy?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaC View Post

This is good for AMD. Corporations don't buy PC parts, they buy full systems from OEMs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pistol View Post

Corporations buy server racks with LOTS of CPUs. This is excellent for AMD!
Completely agree.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
I hope MS has lots of support contracts, I've never met an AMD Chipset that hasn't failed before system retirement. Being a Sys\Network Admin I don't deploy any AMD powered systems into my enviorment because of AMD's terrible chipset failure I have dealt with in the past.
 

·
Top kek
Joined
·
3,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleredwagen View Post

I hope MS has lots of support contracts, I've never met an AMD Chipset that hasn't failed before system retirement. Being a Sys\Network Admin I don't deploy any AMD powered systems into my enviorment because of AMD's terrible chipset failure I have dealt with in the past.
Well, this is different than the Opterons obviously.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ku4eto View Post

Well, this is different than the Opterons obviously.
agreed, also had lots of desktop chipset generations over the years die. I honestly don't have time in my days to throw away replacing hardware to save a few bucks (relative to time, labor and downtime) taking the risk for now. I will look at the platform's stability in 5 years. Right now if I put an AMD system in I would worry about putting mission critical (24/7/365) operations on it.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top