Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Computers have always been a hobby of mine and after years of mis-spent evenings and weekends I am a jack of all trades, yet a master of nothing. I have no plans to be an IT professional but I would like to standardise my learning and start doing some courses. I noticed the MS certifications are what most IT professionals quote on their Resumes/CVs. Have any of you guys taken the exams and where do you think would be a good place to start ? I am interested in everything from Programming to Server management, however I appreciate a simple starting point is best to build from. I have been looking at the 70-680 Windows 7 Consumer Support exam from Microsoft and the likes of VTC and CBT Nuggets all do courses to support. This seems a sensible place to start but I am open to all and any suggestions.

Thanks upfront

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
From what I've been told it is more impressive to say that you have done something (written a program, designed and application, etc) than it is to show off certifications.

But they both pretty much go hand in hand, if you can say you're certified and you've done work with it successfully it's always a plus.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
A+ would be a good start (from a career perspective, it's like being ASE certified). The Microsoft certs (MCSA now called MCITP: Server Admin) were worth it to me in my job search (fresh college grad). Not many college graduates in my area have Microsoft certs and it kind of impressed my interviewers that I took the time and effort to get them.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would A+ be a Microsoft thing or an overall qualification ? Does cover from the basics up or start at an intermediate level ? I guess the main problem I have is I am not sure how to gauge my experience. I can competently build and troubleshoot a PC but other things I might be completely lost with.

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
A+ or compTIA A+ (now)would be the way to start. I would be willing to bet that you already have all the knowledge to pass it. It is not microsoft.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillskill View Post
Would A+ be a Microsoft thing or an overall qualification ? Does cover from the basics up or start at an intermediate level ? I guess the main problem I have is I am not sure how to gauge my experience. I can competently build and troubleshoot a PC but other things I might be completely lost with.
A+ covers the basics. You need to learn networking and server hardware for an MCITP: Server Admin test. Microsoft does offer Windows 7 certs which would be a good place to begin. Most of this is easier if you have the relevant experience (e.g. an internship).

• Rep+
Reactions: Hillskill
1 - 6 of 6 Posts