Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
5,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2006/10...n_to_bit-tech/

Quote:
Microsoft today talked to bit-tech in a bid to reassure the enthusiast community about the licensing terms of Windows Vista

A Microsoft spokesman from the Licensing Dept told bit-tech that this would not be the case. He told us that Windows Vista will not require a system re-activation unless the hard drive and one other component is changed. This means that enthusiasts will be able to swap CPUs, memory and graphics cards out without any worry about having to re-activate with MS, either on the internet or by phone.

Should you change the hard drive and another piece of hardware - for example for a major upgrade such as a motherboard change that requires a re-installation - Microsoft will allow you to re-activate up to 10 times. You will not, however, be able to have more than one machine activated concurrently.

Should you wish to activate more than 10 times, you could be busted, or Microsoft could choose to let you activate again at its discretion.

For hardcore system enthusiasts, keeping a ghosted, activated copy of Vista with no drivers could be a good way of being able to swap around components and machines with the minimum amount of hassle

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
thats somewhat good to hear, but vista is still gonna be expensive and run slow unless you have a good computer, not to mention the whole 10% fps thing I have heard about.

·
Premium Member
7,245 Posts
That's a good one

Quote:
For hardcore system enthusiasts, keeping a ghosted, activated copy of Vista with no drivers could be a good way of being able to swap around components and machines with the minimum amount of hassle

·
Starting to become a BOFH
10,471 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dragosmp
That's a good one

Somebody want to explain ghosting? Sorry, am new to the whole ghosting idea.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
basically you would do a fresh install of vista and activate it. Don't install any drivers for any of your devices. Then get like Norton Ghost or any other problem that can do ghosting, and then you copy Vista over to another hard drive.

Basically you are just copying the windows image over to a blank HD, which then you keep, and then just copy over to the HD you want to use in the computer and then just load your drivers.

Which basically means you don't have to install it everytime on a new HD, nor deal with activating it.

·
Premium Member
7,245 Posts
There's a soft called Norton Ghost that images partitions. It can be very usefull to ghost the system partition right after installing win+drivers so that the next win install (using the ghost image)can take 3 minutes or so...

*EDIT Like K092084 very well said....

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Basically it would be like getting an illegal copy of windows, but I am sure microsoft will come up with something to stop this from happening.

You can actually do this will windows xp or any other OS.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
We do alot of ghosting at work. Very easy and saves alot fo time. All the comptuer are the same, so we do installl it one of them, then just "ghost" the image to the rest of them, and it install windows and everything on them in minutes, instead of installing it on each computer seperately. Quite ingenius actually.

I could do this, and might, maybe try it, seeing that I already own nortan ghost.

·
Banned
5,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
This is very easy since i already have norton ghost
This is what im goonna do when i get a vista

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sladesurfer
This is very easy since i already have norton ghost
This is what im goonna do when i get a vista

I hear you on that one, if/when I get vista.

Although like I said, I am sure mircosoft will come up with something that will make this not possible, after it has been out for awhile at least.

·
404 Title Not Found
2,326 Posts
I doubt they'll beable to get around the ghosting, but from what I'm reading they have a way of detecting the hard drive it's installed on(at the very least model#). That way they don't have to worry about people ghosting to a mass # of hard drives. Unless of course all it does is detect the model #, though theres probably some type of unique ID that it can pick up. Either way I'm probably not going to be purchasing it for a while, if I ever even want it.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by accskyman
I doubt they'll beable to get around the ghosting, but from what I'm reading they have a way of detecting the hard drive it's installed on(at the very least model#). That way they don't have to worry about people ghosting to a mass # of hard drives. Unless of course all it does is detect the model #, though theres probably some type of unique ID that it can pick up. Either way I'm probably not going to be purchasing it for a while, if I ever even want it.
Thats what I was thinking, so then it would know that it wasn't the same HD, and then would ask you to reactivate it again.

·

29,532 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by K092084
basically you would do a fresh install of vista and activate it. Don't install any drivers for any of your devices. Then get like Norton Ghost or any other problem that can do ghosting, and then you copy Vista over to another hard drive.

Basically you are just copying the windows image over to a blank HD, which then you keep, and then just copy over to the HD you want to use in the computer and then just load your drivers.

Which basically means you don't have to install it everytime on a new HD, nor deal with activating it.
That is partly correct. You should remove the drivers (Through Control Panel), run DriverCleaner-CabCleaner and you should be set.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
hearing this, will windows XP be the ultimate overclocker's OS ?
what a shame...

·
Registered
404 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by OCZedd
I heard that ghosting sometimes goes wrong and you lose registries, install game and applications?
Thats why when you are creating the image using Norton or a similar product, you want to select the Verify Image option prior to making the image to ensure that it created it properly. Any software / data that you install AFTER the image is created will need to be re-installed / re-modified again...As for the data, you won't need to re-modify it if it exists on a seperate partition or drive. When I say "data," I mean documents, excels, e-mails, text files, etc etc.

·
Premium Member
5,573 Posts
So the moral of the story is this: Get a FAST and RELIABLE Cdrive to host your OS. Then all other data goes on your RAID or whatever. THEN, you can swap out your MoBo and other components as much as you like??? And you won't have to reactivate as long as that HDD doesnt die?

Did I read that correctly?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Well this is good to hear. I was hoping that what was said before was false. I still do not think that I will update to vista as soon as it is released though. Ill let the bugs get fixed and the price to drop then I will think about getting it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts