Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
Played early this morning. Beautiful graphics.
I had bought the Premium edition and had to make sure all of the extras were loaded.

I have Comcast gig speed but it took a long time to download over 90 gigs. I started at @ 12:45 AM ad didn't start playing until before 2 AM.

I suspect the servers are getting hammered today!

·
I <3 narcissists
6,794 Posts
So it's a big download, 90 gigs would take me an eternity to download. I will have to take my computer to work if I decide to get the game.

Does the game require much from your internet once it's all downloaded (while you are playing)?

·
Father, Husband and Gamer
1,129 Posts
I got about 40 mins in this morning... pretty incredible. A giant leap for flight sims. need to find the thrustmaster because flying with a controller is no good...

·
Facepalm
9,512 Posts
Are you guys buying it on Steam or the Microsoft Store?

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
bigjdubb, it needs a lot of bandwidth if you enable all the Bing features. It is constantly redrawing the actual terrain as you fly.

I have gig speed Comcast with unlimited data so it isn't a problem.

I think there is a YouTuber (Flying Squirrel?) who has EXCELLENT tutorials already up on customizing MSFS to address different bandwidths and PC components.

I played for about 1/2 hour this morning on my 3900x/Radeon VII rig below in my sig. I was able to have it on Ultra settings on graphics with my 35" 3440x1440 monitor with 100Mhz Freesync and it was fine. Was weird flying at night from Sedona AZ airport.

It has wonderful tutorials on flying in a Cessna 152.

Falkentyne, I preordered mine from the MS Store but from what I read there should be no difference.

BTW I was using a Logitech Flight yoke and throttle controller plus Saitek rudder pedals. ALL were immediately recognized. I had to reset some controls but it was very smooth and fun.

Flew in a Cessna 152, Cessna 172, Citation jet and finally used the Boeing Dreamliner 787 on full AI.

Scenery is phenomenal!

·
Newb to Overclock.net
4,535 Posts
Anyone with 16GB experiencing issues?

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
I'll let you know tonight as I am going to try it on a Gigabyte x470 with 16gigs of FlareX 3200, a 2700x and a Radeon 5600XT. I have ssds in it.

What problems, if any, are you having?

I think you need Windows 10 to run it.

·
LTSC for life crew
3,556 Posts
So it's a big download, 90 gigs would take me an eternity to download. I will have to take my computer to work if I decide to get the game.

Does the game require much from your internet once it's all downloaded (while you are playing)?
The game is heavy on the internet connection in it's out of the box form but early reviewers are saying that there are quite a few adjustments that can be made to minimize this.

From what I hear, if you don't mind playing with the terrain settings on just high or medium then the internet connection won't matter as much. It's the players setting all the graphical settings to ultra that causes the huge demand on the system & network.

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
If you get the basic 60 dollar version, can you add on the extra DLC for the same price difference as if you bought the more expensive versions up front? I kind of want to play it first to make sure I want to play it more often before spending all 120 immediately.

·
I <3 narcissists
6,794 Posts
That's a bummer about the internet requirement, I was hoping that I could just do a huge download then not worry about it. Oh well, this is probably going to be more and more of a problem going forward.

·
Not New to OCN
1,750 Posts
That's a bummer about the internet requirement, I was hoping that I could just do a huge download then not worry about it. Oh well, this is probably going to be more and more of a problem going forward.
Considering the full map data is around 2 petabytes, I don't think that's really practical lol.

·
Invalid Media
3,234 Posts
...waaaiittiinnnngg for the 95 GB download to finish...their severs are wheezing , judging by other network connections at this end (fibre) ...just like the good old days watching the hour glass :eek:

·
LTSC for life crew
3,556 Posts
And they have everything running on the high spec/high end Azure cloud servers. They went all out to ensure it was a quick and speedy download. Lol MS nice one.

·
Registered
100 Posts
It's not just downloading 91GB of files to the hard drive but also extracting the files as it finishes downloading each one which is slowing the download\install process.

Took me about 45 minutes early this morning and I am on a 400mbps connection.

·
Turtle Lives Matter
4,930 Posts
Pre-ordered it for my wife who used to pilot small planes. Funny yesterday it let her download about 20GB worth of the game, but wouldn't let her download the remaining 90+GB until this morning. Anyways she loves it. She's glad I got her the best version also. She's playing it on our 4K Samsung TV, and it looks really good. She's running a Vega 64, Ryzen 1600 AF, 32GB RAM and she also installed the game on its own NVME SSD. We also have good fiber connection. It defaulted at "High End" and ran very smooth at those settings @4K. I bumped it up to Ultra with no AA, but it was a bit too laggy. I set the resolution scale back to 80% and now it's balanced running great and looking great.

There's lots of complaints online about people can't get it to run, so laggy, blah blah blah, but I think they have some serious hardware or I/O bottlenecks. Not only does your CPU and GPU need to be up to snuff, but your disk better be fast otherwise loading times will be miserable. Fast internet is also a must to get the most enjoyment out of this game. The maps are always being fed terrain data, and also real-time, real-world weather data. You can turn off the cloud data if your internet sucks, but that ruins half the fun.

She's using a combination of XB controller, KB and mouse, but I want to get her the full joystick kit with the pedals ect.

·
Invalid Media
3,234 Posts
...I so looked forward to MS FlightSim 2020...bought the deluxe premium pack...

...barely downloaded 6 gigs in 5 hours (on a fibre line w/ network up and checking out)...for now, got a changed Win10 setup that is a big-data vacuum cleaner now...Microsoft Canada's phone goes repeatedly dead after pushing option to reach agent...error messages and other stuff, per below.

...got my fast internet connection, water-cooled and oc'ed 2950X and 2x 2080 Tis etc. - all dressed up for the occasion and nowhere to go :mad:

Attachments

·
Registered
568 Posts
Are you guys buying it on Steam or the Microsoft Store?
Microsoft Store. I am not a huge fan of Microsoft and the MS Store normally but as they are the developer I decided they deserved the full price without someone else taking a cut.

No issues. 16Gb, i5-8400 and a 2060 (non super) with an NVME and 100Mb internet and it runs ultra at 1440 p at 35 fps which is fine for a flight sim. However 4K Ultra will likely need more than 16Gb though.

If you get the basic 60 dollar version, can you add on the extra DLC for the same price difference as if you bought the more expensive versions up front? I kind of want to play it first to make sure I want to play it more often before spending all 120 immediately.
You can upgrade later but MS have said it is cheaper to just buy it up front.

If you go with the Microsoft Store you could just get the cheap 1 month XBOX game pass trial (it is about a dollar for the month) and try it out.

The upgraded deals are actually really good value compared to what people normally pay for flight sim addons. It is common to pay hundreds of dollars to just add one or two (admittedly amazingly good) aircraft. For example if you look at the current aftermarket addons available on the MS Store, the Cessna 182 is about the same price by itself as upgrading to the deluxe version and getting 5 more planes - and the Orbx London airport (great airport but only one airport) is not much cheaper. Those are good addons and I may well buy them eventually but they certainly make the deluxe upgrades look like an absolute bargain in comparison.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
From my post on r/flightsim -

So I finally decided to buy it last night, even though I was going to wait until I installed my new graphics card (2070, the 1070 I have now was showing signs of stress lately). So I bought it on Steam, did the 500MB download and started the game. I got the frozen blue bar and after 15 minutes of it not moving, followed posts I found that uninstalling and reinstalling helps.

My System-

i5 [email protected] Zotac 1070 AMP! Extreme 16GB RAM 2GB games drive, OS is on a separate 128GB NVME drive. Graphics in game are set to High

So that was reinstall 1. Next time I launched, I managed to get through the Xbox login and it froze again.

Reinstall #2, got me to the update screen, 90GB to download. Fine. It stopped at 3.69GB.

Reinstall #3, I was expecting it to freeze again, but by the time it hit around 16%, I figured I would give it a chance and let it download while I got some sleep.

By the time I woke up again, the download was complete. Exited and restarted the game and it went to the screen about setting up the rolling cache. I waited "several minutes" program crashed just as I noticed it was trying to put the rolling cache on my OS drive, which had less than 5GB free. No way a rolling cache of any size was going to be good there.

Restarted, got into the Options menu, went to data and clicked on the cache (not rolling cache) "view" button. This is where you can set up what areas you want to permanently cache. I wanted to set some up, was getting no where. Went out to the Data menu again, noticed that the rolling cache was wrong, changed it, waited for it to update...failed again.

Tried a couple more times, needed to go drop off my recycling, so I started the rolling cache location change and went to drop off my cans and pick up a burrito. Got home 20-30 minutes later and that was done. Then I went to check the other cache and CTD. I tried a few things from the help FAQ, no luck. I decided, fine. I'll get back to that later while I fire off a ticket to inform Adobo of the failure. I had a couple crashes trying to launch the training missions, then I finally got in.

Did some control mapping as MSFS 2020 has no defaults for my VKB Gunfighter Mk III. It didn't even map the throttle on my X56 Throttle. Played with the mapping while I did a few of the training missions. Started getting crashes in game again. Chatted with a friend on Steam while his download finished. Decided to buy a couple more SSDs as my correct games drive is too small at 2GB. I've had to remove half of my Steam games to make room for FS 2020 and all the gorgeous scenery. So when I rebuild my system soon, my games drive will be doubling in size. Oh, the things that happen when I get unhappy uninstalling games. We also talked framrates and whatnot and I told him about the slow downs I get as the Sedona area was downloaded. When he got in, he had no slowdowns at all. Having a 600Gbs download speed must be nice. Mine is 30Mbs. But that only matters the first time around, when I failed a mission due to sudden single digits framerates, the retry would run fine. I am getting 50FPS on the runway, 60FPS in the air. After he took off, I continued to go through the tutorials.

As I sat on the runway getting set to take off, the engine would die. One time was I was doing the traffic pattern tutorial, my engine started cutting out. Then when I tried to do that one over, it was cutting out as I climbed away from the runway. Then it would happen as I accelerated down the runway. I happened to use my hat to glance down and the mixture control was going in and out of the control panel like a rabbit try to breed. I checked my settings and somehow the mixture, which was set to one of my rotary encoders on the X56 also had the "rich" and "lean" options matched to some rando buttons. Fixed that and no more random engine death.

Oh, and all this time, I was still having issues with CTD's. So I installed the new NVIDIA drivers. Well, I tried to. First attempt failed. I haven't had a failed driver installation since I don't know when. So I tried again. Failed again, and this time it changed my default audio device (I never install the HDMI sound drivers from NVIDIA, I use digital out to a DAC). So I rebooted and tried for a 3rd time. SUCCESS!

Hopped back in, finally figured out how to pass the first solo flight (I was turning in to the final turn to early).

Started the flight from Sedona to Flagstaff. For some reason, I was way too low and was apparently getting knocked around my low winds after the turn at the golf course, missed following the highway completely. So I crashed it and started over.

Second try I was much higher, was making the approach to the airport and apparently lost too much height and crashed kind of accidently this time. SO start over.

Back on the tarmac at Sedona, throttle up and veered suddenly to the left. ***. Tried it again. Veered to the left again. And again. Now I am doing donuts on the runway. Checked to make sure my joystick's twist axis had not lost it's calibration. Exited the game. Went back in. More donuts. Checked the mapping. No obvious reason for the donuts. Decided to call it a night.

Oh, and apparently the drivers fixed the CTD problem. Have not tried to check the cache again to see if that CTD was fixed yet. Nope, still has a CTD there.

Gorgeous game, has some issues, looking forward to flying around where I live in Central Oregon (buzz all the volcanoes!), where I used to live near Seattle, and checking out the corner of Montana I used to live in. I was able to check the airports in Bend, OR and Plentywood, MT and they are in the game. Take that, Stuttgart.

I don't like how long it takes to start up. Unskippable logo screens are the devil's work. Gives me time to read, I guess.

tl;dr - Had some installation issues, slow internet sucks, I'm going to double my games storage, check that device mapping and I still have an annoying CTD, but not in game. It is frikken gorgeous, even short of ultra settings.

·
Registered
737 Posts
So I'm experiencing issues on the UWP version, low GPU utilization, low FPS which doesn't change regardless of settings or resolution. I usually sit at 30-46FPS and it doesn't usually go above that unless im in menus.

r5 3600 @ 4.1 all core
16GB 3000mhz
2070s
1TB NVME SN750

Initially thought I was CPU limited, but my utilization usuallly hangs around 30-40% after everything is loaded in and you start off.

Really hoping for just 60FPS at any mix of settings.

1 - 20 of 158 Posts