Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Administrator
64,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Everyone its time to move to SP2 or face issues :

Quote:
SOFTWARE FIRM Microsoft has announced that it will no longer support Windows XP Service Pack 1 and SP1a.
According to ZDNet, this means that anyone who has not upgraded will have to shift to Service Pack 2 if they wish to continue to receive upgrades.

SP1 first shipped in September 2002 and so is getting pretty old and smelly. It was replaced by SP2 in September 2004.

The Vole has been culling support for several of its elderly products lately. In July, Microsoft finally got rid of Windows 98 and ME support.

If there are punters still using SP1 then chances are the hackers have the operating system in their sights as we speak.

The smart money is on a trojan that sniffs out old SP1 machines and exploits vulnerabilities that will be fixed with SP2
Here : http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=34991

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
***? Why? SP2 sucks at most things. The firewalls etc just get in the way. That's why I always have ALL Of the SP2 security crap disabled.

·
Administrator
64,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Jester

***? Why? SP2 sucks at most things. The firewalls etc just get in the way. That's why I always have ALL Of the SP2 security crap disabled.

Well i guess you will just have to have it slipstreamed as theres no more SP1 patches for you my friend

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
No no, I already got an SP2 XP CD. I just disable all the stuff. I see thier firewall as just a way to gain control over the security market.

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
Quote:

Because people pirate and Microsoft is the pirate crusader. They don't care what they have to do to keep people form stealing their software. I just wish realize that if they didn't charge an arm and a leg and if they quit doing stuff like this they could reduce the pirating.

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Damn then and thier monopoly! *starts off petition for more OpenGL games*

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
It isn't a monopoly. Don't like it? Use Linux. Microsoft does some messed up stuff and they handle plenty of things poorly. People complain, but they still use windows. You aren't forced to use windows.

·
Administrator
64,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Microsoft = Biggest Software company there is.

There not going anywhere and people will always use there products regardless of the issues as migrating to a new OS and training for it can take time and be costly...Thus corperations stick with Windows.

Linux = At a loss..However nicely coded

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
The 3D Gaming monopoly, thats what I was talking about. Stupid damned programmers not using OpenGl *mutters to self*

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
Quote:

The 3D Gaming monopoly, thats what I was talking about. Stupid damned programmers not using OpenGl *mutters to self*

That also isn't a Monopoly. It's not Microsoft's fault that gaming programmers prefer using DX over OpenGL. They don't stand there with a gun to their head. I'm not being a MS fanboy, I'm just saying step back and see who is really to blame.

·
Premium Member
8,379 Posts
I can't agree more with Snerp. MS is not a real monopoly since you still have competition; small but it's still competition. Consumers still have choices.

·
Registered
407 Posts
This seems like a ploy to me to force companies/people to upgrade to sp2 or more importantly to microsoft vista. The reasons for this are how long did they carry support for windows 95 and 98se? Were talking decades now aren't we. So why after already dropping support for everything up to 2000 should they need to go and drop support for xp sp1? Sounds to me like Microsoft may be trying to prepare for some kind of backlash for something. This isn't damning MS either its just my point of view as yes as much as I may dislike thier business and price points they are the dominant os for desktops. Hey Jester I honestly see that with the ease of use (as compared to pure debian or gentoo) and the publicity its generated thus far that Ubuntu may make opengl a much more viable option for gamming so there is still hope for us. Now a serious question. So tweaking windows xp. Is that considered dumbing it down or smartening it up lol? I do admit that if you know how windows xp can be Made to run decently indeed.

·
Premium Member
5,573 Posts
Quote:

Damn then and thier monopoly! *starts off petition for more OpenGL games*

HERE HERE!!! How can we get developers to listen!

EDIT: That would be Hearhear to the non-spelling challenged.

·
Administrator
64,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ICYUNVME

This seems like a ploy to me to force companies/people to upgrade to sp2 or more importantly to microsoft vista. The reasons for this are how long did they carry support for windows 95 and 98se? Were talking decades now aren't we. So why after already dropping support for everything up to 2000 should they need to go and drop support for xp sp1? Sounds to me like Microsoft may be trying to prepare for some kind of backlash for something. This isn't damning MS either its just my point of view as yes as much as I may dislike thier business and price points they are the dominant os for desktops. Hey Jester I honestly see that with the ease of use (as compared to pure debian or gentoo) and the publicity its generated thus far that Ubuntu may make opengl a much more viable option for gamming so there is still hope for us. Now a serious question. So tweaking windows xp. Is that considered dumbing it down or smartening it up lol? I do admit that if you know how windows xp can be Made to run decently indeed.

You make some very interesting points there. I dont think there is much of a problem going to SP2 anyway....Its not a plague.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts