Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/02/06/ecc_for_vista/
Today, ECC technology is very rare in desktop and notebook computers as the technology commands a higher price than their standard counterpart: For example, 1 GB ECC DDR-333 are priced 56% higher than non-ECC devices ($97 and $62, respectively), according to Pricewatch.com. The difference for 2 GB DDR-400 modules is 79%. In the DDR2 space, the premium climbs to more than 90% in most segments. ECC also has an impact on system performance as especially the ECC's RAM check consumes significant time when booting a computer. Overall, ECC memory is generally believed to be about 1% to 3% slower than memory modules without the extra circuitry.
Vista is just gonna be a pain. I'm not even excited about it anymore.

·
Banned
8,062 Posts
Ah.. Yet again.. Screw Vista. Ill wait till something decent comes out from microsoft to get a new OS, until then im sticking with my Windows XP.

·
Administrator
64,455 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tweako_420

Its slow.
Mainly meant for servers.
So it would not be good for gamers etc.

Agreed
Im so sticking with Windows XP until Microsoft bring out something half decent.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
But remember, they are just recomending it. Its not a requirement. The ECC may be good for business computers and a computer for an average computer. But for gamers, I think we'll be sticking to just plain ol' DDR

·
Banned
1,159 Posts
i'm still getting vista because i'm sure that gamers make up most of the profit they will get for that Ultimate edition or whatever its called.

why the hell would they release a slower OS if what everyone wants these days is speed?

·
Administrator
64,455 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 13 3 @ 7 l 3 13 0 y
yeah, the programmers are just recommending that.
plus, if you want to game, you'll need vista and DX10, not sure if u can get DX10 for XP?
Im sure they will make DX10 for XP there bound to

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE1701
Im sure they will make DX10 for XP there bound to
Game makers are going to lose a lot of money if they dont.

Many people aren't going to run out and buy Vista right away. If game developers move to DX10 and dont give it XP support, they are going to lose a lot of money until Vista becomes the "OS Standard", like XP is right now.

·
Banned
5,423 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 13 3 @ 7 l 3 13 0 y
yeah, the programmers are just recommending that.
plus, if you want to game, you'll need vista and DX10, not sure if u can get DX10 for XP?
DX10 = DRM infection = suckage.

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jori
Ah.. Yet again.. Screw Vista. Ill wait till something decent comes out from microsoft to get a new OS, until then im sticking with my Windows XP.
Ha.... that's what I said and I'm still using Win2k on some of my comps....

·
Registered
407 Posts
Not trying to jack anyones thread I just have a question. Would it be possible to write a OS based soley around use in a gaming rig?

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ICYUNVME
Not trying to jack anyones thread I just have a question. Would it be possible to write a OS based soley around use in a gaming rig?
Yea anything possible, but windows has a lot of support of software, alot of software, more than OSX.....my LAN store near me has gaming OS.....just lets you pick games off of it....not a complete OS though but a little one....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.