Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in a REALLY old house and the room that my computer in is not insulated. It stays cool until noon in the summer when the temp outside starts to climb. By the afternoon you can feel the heat and it will stay hot well until after midnight.

Right now I have a CM-690 with a ton of fans. My question is would it be worth upgrading to a full tower? I am just wondering if in doing that I can have enough time to make mods over the winter to channel better airflow and build separate compartment dividers for the PSU.

Water cooling would be an expensive option but I don't see the value of spending close to $300 just to save a couple degrees in heat. As I said my room stays really hot so the radiator probably wouldn't be anymore effective as a good cooler (using a TRUE now) with good airflow.

I did a few minor mods on my CM-690 like cutting away the plastic honeycomb grilling out of the top and installing extra fans. This time I want a fairly blank slate case again so I could cut my own windows etc.

Any recommendations or advice on which size to choice and brand? I also have a single gtx260 core 216 with no real desire to run SLI on my 750i.

·
Premium Member
19,923 Posts
Perhaps concentrating on modding the room so that it will remain cool(er) would be a good idea?

The ambient temperature will still have the final say in the temperature of your PC regardless of the size or the amount of fans.

...not trying to be an arse... just saying...

Or you could go sub-zero on the cooling, but that is a whole different kettle of fish.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Syrillian View Post
Perhaps concentrating on modding the room so that it will remain cool(er) would be a good idea?

The ambient temperature will still have the final say in the temperature of your PC regardless of the size or the amount of fans.

...not trying to be an arse... just saying...

Or you could go sub-zero on the cooling, but that is a whole different kettle of fish.
I understand, you aren't being an arse. The problem lies with it's not my house so I can only do so much. I was basically just wondering if I would get better airflow in a full tower or a mid size case. Ambients can't really be controlled where I am. In a mid case I guess you can channel the air to flow in a more restrictive way but your case temps may be higher with the cramped space. Then I have read how a full tower may not be so good because the airflow is just blowing freely. The full may or may not have high case temps due to this fact.

I just don't want to go and blow $150 on a full tower when the CM-690 that I have will be the better cooling agent.

·
Premium Member
19,923 Posts
Understood.

I can appreciate the way in which your hands are tied, as I am a renter as well.

As far as your case, have you considered an open-air system? Are there inquisitive animals or small fingers that might make a mess of such a setup?

It gets up to 40C in my house at the very height of Summer, but the average is 35C. I use a small portable air-conditioner that vents through a window in conjunction with a standing fan that directs the cold air at the intakes of my main rig. Although the A/C can not compete with both the ambient temp that is effected by the heat outside, as well as the active thermal output on all the systems, it can keep one system fairly cool and happy.

Perhaps such a non-permanent solution would work for you? Only problem is the cost of the A/C.... decent ones can be bucks
, and used ones can be a gamble.

If that is not an option then perhaps an open-air system with a house fan pointing at it?

....I'm just rambling...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts