Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day

I'm looking to retire the old Q9550 and make the jump to skylake, but i i'm kinda stuck on motherboards (been out of the loop for quite a while now
tongue.gif
)

Anyone got some suggestions for good midrange mobo's around the $250 (Australian) range that OC well?

Ones that i've kinda had my eye on so far are (trying to decide on which mobo from the 3 manufacturers)
  1. Asrock Z170 Extreme6+ or
    Asrock Z170 Gaming K6+
  2. MSI Z170A Krait Gaming or
    MSI Gaming Pro
  3. Asus Z170-AR (heard it OC's well but the quality and connectivity isn't there) or
    Asus Z170 PRO GAMING

Any others in that range i've missed that would be better choices?
I know actual performance won't go up that much but is it worth saving a bit extra and jumping into the $300 range mobo's? Say a ROG Hero?

Cheers

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ooh thats a nice looking board! Only 2 a couple shops seem to stock the Sabertooth-S over here, about $350 (everyone else only lists the sabertooth for ~$425! bit rich for me)

So thats around the ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO prices ($357), how do they compare in performance/oc/etc?

Out of that lists, few other people has said the Extreme 6+ would be the winner

·
Stuck in the past
1,143 Posts
I and others stand by the Asus Z170-A boards. They are quite the gem of a board so far. Incidentally in the Skylaking overclocking thread the top overclock is with this motherboard.

·
⤷ αC
11,240 Posts
OP asked for a $250AUD board and you guys are suggesting $350AUS boards...

the $257AUD Asrock Extreme6+ is likely the best board in terms of VRM
ttp://cplonline.com.au/asrock-mbd-z170-extreme-6-ddr4-lga1151-motherboard.html

Keep in mind while the $225AUD Asus Z170-AR is a lower end board than the Asrock Z170 Extreme6+ it shares VRM with the Z170-A , which is known to overclock decently
http://cplonline.com.au/asus-z170-ar-motherboard.html

MSI krait gaming / Gaming pro are slotted lower than the Gaming M3 and M5 (M5 is known to be a decent board) so I wouldn't pay $250AUD for one

Excluding ASUS Maximus boards, Gigabyte SOC Force and gaming G1, Asrock Extreme7 / OC Formula , MSI Xpower everyone seems to be using Intersil "hybrid" PWM with some sort of 20ish Amps low rds(on) mosfets and upgraded chokes / capacitors in mid range or higher

Your situation is unique to Australia, in the USA the MSI Gaming M5 and Gigabyte UD3/UD5/Gaming 5 are about the price of the ASUS Z170A (and Asrock Extreme4 is cheaper everywhere)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts