Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok when i went to bed last night everything was working fine and pc powered down as usual. when i got home from work it was asking for a system disk to boot.

After checking a few things i noticed that in bios it was only recognizing 1 of my hard drives (not the one win 7 was installed on) I checked all my sata's and they all work fine.

I didn't really have anything that was irreplacable but over the coarse of a year you collect some good stuff...

Is there anything I should try before i call seagate and see if there is anyting they can do. Also i have had the drive for about 12-13 months. Is there hope or am i out of luck

·
Premium Member
3,037 Posts
If they are dead you could try putting your hard drives in the freezer for a few hours, then dropping them on a hard surface. Then plug them in and get your data off.

·
Premium Member
3,789 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Angmaar
View Post

You could also test the hard drive on the other sata ports to ensure it's not a sata port problem.

Could be the port and make sure to check cable (even though I doubt it).

If you need data, use the freezer method so you can quickly copy everything off.
Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
16,114 Posts
I actually thought my WDC 1TB Black went bad within about the first week and I was almost to the point of a format of some sort. I just unplugged the cable and plugged it into a different slot and booted and it was working fine. To make sure it wasn't the port I shut the PC and put it back into the regular slot and it was fine. IDK what happened, but it worked. And yes, resetting CMOS, is a very good suggestion. Even go as far as trying a different connection on the PSU and of course a different cable in a different slot as well.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
If its the 500 7200.11 and died from the bad firmware then the freezer method will do nothing. I had one die and RMA'd it and updated the firmware on three others.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts