Overclock.net banner

Might try liquid metal in my laptop. A couple questions...

1779 Views 13 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  andydviking
Hi guys, I have an Acer Nitro 5 an515-54-728c that spikes to mid 90 degrees c when playing BF5. It's just a spike but I don't like it. Otherwise temps are pretty reasonable @ mid 80's or so. I don't know if I want to go liquid metal but I just may.

Here is an example of the heatsink I have (RTX 2060 version). Does it look solid copper to you guys? Will it be OK with liquid metal?

Also, is there a way to make the liquid metal alloy faster so I don't have to open my laptop again in a few weeks after application?

Right now I have Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut on it. Should I just leave well enough alone?

Thanks all.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Still kinda lost
3,896 Posts
See, you will need three things before you start a foam dam around the GPU and CPU and some conformal coating on the electronics around them and kapton tape to make it actually safe for daily usage.

It will work with your current cooler but expect damage with time even if its copper as this eventually happened with my GE75.

Now if we are being realistic I would recommend just repasting with a good paste clean the fans and undervolt the CPU and have a curve for the GPU, now the problem is I have been using kryonaut but expect two things first it has major pump out problems at high temps and low durability (Expect to change for sure under a year and sometimes after 6 months) so you will need to look around on what people are recommending for laptops these days.

I have an undervolt of -125mv on the 10750h and a curve at 875mv on the 1660ti which makes me comfortably play at mid 60s on the GPU and mid 70s on the CPU ( Use coolboost and raise the back of the laptop for it to get intake)

· Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See, you will need three things before you start a foam dam around the GPU and CPU and some conformal coating on the electronics around them and kapton tape to make it actually safe for daily usage.

It will work with your current cooler but expect damage with time even if its copper as this eventually happened with my GE75.

Now if we are being realistic I would recommend just repasting with a good paste clean the fans and undervolt the CPU and have a curve for the GPU, now the problem is I have been using kryonaut but expect two things first it has major pump out problems at high temps and low durability (Expect to change for sure under a year and sometimes after 6 months) so you will need to look around on what people are recommending for laptops these days.

I have an undervolt of -125mv on the 10750h and a curve at 875mv on the 1660ti which makes me comfortably play at mid 60s on the GPU and mid 70s on the CPU ( Use coolboost and raise the back of the laptop for it to get intake)
Thanks, yes I have pasted with Kryonaut on this laptop and initial results were awesome but only lasted less than a month. Hydronaut was supposed to be better (long term) but the results didn't last that long for me either. I bought a tube of Gelid thermal paste that seems to work for a lot of people on the interwebs and I may just try to re-paste with that.

As far as liquid metal I have already in mind to buy the conformal coating. I just don't know if it's worth the liquid metal application at this point.

· Still kinda lost
3,896 Posts
I just don't know if it's worth the liquid metal application at this point.
It's not, just undervolt and use a curve and you will have a great time with a fresh repaste. (Give the laptop some decent airflow)

BTW using an external monitor might boost your FPS if the HDMI is connected directly to the GPU as it will bypass Optimus.

· Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not, just undervolt and use a curve and you will have a great time with a fresh repaste. (Give the laptop some decent airflow)

BTW using an external monitor might boost your FPS if the HDMI is connected directly to the GPU as it will bypass Optimus.
I use an eternal monitor and the laptop has plenty of airflow. It's probably just not such a great thermal design on this laptop. I have undervolted and as it did raise my cinebench scores (curiously) it didn't really help my thermals all that much.

I do thank you for your help & reply's.

· Still kinda lost
3,896 Posts
I use an eternal monitor and the laptop has plenty of airflow. It's probably just not such a great thermal design on this laptop. I have undervolted and as it did raise my cinebench scores (curiously) it didn't really help my thermals all that much.

I do thank you for your help & reply's.
Lower voltage = less heat = boosts more thats why it has better performance and yea the nitro 5 is notorious for its cooler but as its a shared heat pipe having a curve on the GPU will lower the temps for both.

Good luck

• Rep+
Reactions: andydviking

· PC Evangelist
48,822 Posts
I personally would not recommend. LM only helps if there is bad transfer and that is going to be 5-10C. Good Thermal paste will get within 2-3C. The limiting factor for Laptops is cooling capacity.

• Rep+

· Facepalm
11,683 Posts
Thanks, yes I have pasted with Kryonaut on this laptop and initial results were awesome but only lasted less than a month. Hydronaut was supposed to be better (long term) but the results didn't last that long for me either. I bought a tube of Gelid thermal paste that seems to work for a lot of people on the interwebs and I may just try to re-paste with that.

As far as liquid metal I have already in mind to buy the conformal coating. I just don't know if it's worth the liquid metal application at this point.
You can avoid pump out by either using one of those innovation cooling graphite pads (they perform worse than MX-4/MX-5, but at least it remains stable and never degrades), or you could try phase change material which should perform better.

I heard that this paste is more long term stable than Kryonaut but I don't have it so I cannot give any feedback on it:

• Rep+

· Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

What software did you use to set the curve on the GPU? Afterburner?

· Still kinda lost
3,896 Posts
  • Rep+

· Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
So I repasted using Gelid GC-Extreme. Temps are much lower. I also installed Acer Predator Sense and uninstalled Nitro Sense. There is an option in Predator Sense to have custom fan settings when a game loads and that lowered temps for me a great deal.

Battlefield 5 ran at max 79*C when before re-paste and custom fan settings it would spike into 90's. Battlefield 5 is the hottest thing I have found that runs on my computer.

Also, I am undervolting using Throttlestop.

EDIT: Ambient was 22*C.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.