Premium Member
8,252 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by f16-r1
View Post

wow really fail...
shame on Nvidia

Source

*sigh* terrible news source. They fail to mention that ATI used a mobile 4870x2 (which is 2x 4850's overclocked, and useds 512 mb GDDR3). This is the real source

Also, most users I have seen would never think to go to Nvidia, or Intel's site for drivers, they go to who ever should have the drivers. Also, they seem to still be on 8.5 for the ATI desktop parts (though Nvidia is on 176 for their desktop parts).

Shame on Nvidia for the fine print, and shame on ATI for providing old drivers for their users (alien ware also uses the 8.5 ATI drivers, and 176 Nvidia drivers, so ATI is likely to blame).

·
Premium Member
4,217 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraudbrand
View Post

Is this news or rumor mongering ? I dont see any proof of wrong doing.

QFT!
You guys want me to whip up something real quick on my blog bashing ATI without proof? It can be done in about 2 mins.

Seriously though, the "source" article (and I use that term loosely) looks to be nothing more then rumors and fanboyism.
Is there any actual proof to this?

·
Premium Member
8,252 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraudbrand
View Post

Is this news or rumor mongering ? I dont see any proof of wrong doing.

This article is news.

The Inquirer article is complete trash. Here is one excerpt:

Quote:

It's also worth bearing in mind that the M17x is a GDDR3 machine, as is the W90, but what will happen to Nvidia's superiority claims when an OEM produces a Mobility Radeon 4870 GDDR5 solution? Can the GTX 280M do GDDR5? We thinks not!

Quote:

AMD had sent the latest version of its drivers to Asus, but for some reason, the Taiwanese firm shipped drivers that were not Catalyst 9.6, inadvertently crippling the machine during benchmark testing. Nvidia knew this but saw an opportunity to take advantage of the situation. Sad day for Nvidia's professionalism and equally sad if the Goblin believed journalists would fall for this dribble.

I tried to download form Asus's site, and sll I can find for info is that they look like 8.5 drivers, not 9.6 or anything. (there is some marking of "090217" indicating that it could be from Feb. 2009, but that would make it 9.2, not 9.6).

I expected alt text in the article to read "For Charlie".

·
Premium Member
25,202 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by trueg50
View Post

*sigh* terrible news source. They fail to mention that ATI used a mobile 4870x2 (which is 2x 4850's overclocked, and useds 512 mb GDDR3). This is the real source

Also, most users I have seen would never think to go to Nvidia, or Intel's site for drivers, they go to who ever should have the drivers. Also, they seem to still be on 8.5 for the ATI desktop parts (though Nvidia is on 176 for their desktop parts).

Shame on Nvidia for the fine print, and shame on ATI for providing old drivers for their users (alien ware also uses the 8.5 ATI drivers, and 176 Nvidia drivers, so ATI is likely to blame).

I disagree

It should be the source/testers responsibility to insure the latest software is used when comparing products. It seems they knew the drivers were outdated, but used them anyway.

Where do you see which driver version they are using?

·
Premium Member
8,252 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by grunion
View Post

I disagree

It should be the source/testers responsibility to insure the latest software is used when comparing products. It seems they knew the drivers were outdated, but used them anyway.

Where do you see which driver version they are using?

Well thats the thing, do you test the hardware at its best, or do you test the hardware as the user gets it?

I went on Alienware's site and Asus's site and checked out their configurations.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylzer
View Post

HD4870x2 is two HD4870s with GDDR5 m8

You bet it is, however the mobile version is certainly not. On the mobile side it is basically a 4850.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Wait, how is ATI to blame that these guys used old drivers, the latest drivers on ATIs site are the 9.6. They do not test desktops with the old drivers that came on the CD, why should they test laptops with old drivers? Is it not the users responsibility to update their drivers?

·
Premium Member
8,252 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Urufu_Shinjiro
View Post

Wait, how is ATI to blame that these guys used old drivers, the latest drivers on ATIs site are the 9.6.

ATI provides new drivers to the system builders.

On both sites the ATI drivers (and Nvidia ones) were quite old; meaning that if you got a brand new ATI /Nvidia laptop, you aren't going to play at its best. Desktop stuff you assemble your self, laptop stuff is expected to work, and in this case the review is "as you get it" hardware, which as you can see is a big let down for ATI and their very driver-depended hardware.

I have never once seen a user actually go to the hardware makers site, for the uninformed (IE people not on OCN and the like) it is only logical to look for drivers on the site that "made" the hardware.

·
Premium Member
15,202 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Windows update will update you past 8.5. Something to consider, since ATI would definitely take that into account.

Quote:

We were also told that the drivers for the GPU were the set that were on the system when it came in. AMD does not offer notebook drivers to consumers, as NVIDIA does. A trip to the AMD and Asus website will confirm that the driver tested is the one consumers have access to, which if they were around a year old, go blame AMD. It's not their fault that nVidia update their drivers and AMD do not. Due to this, it seemed that the second 4870 wasn't being engaged due to its drivers not supporting it. Whose fault? AMD.
Maybe they are telling us to install hacked or beta drivers, but AMD, Asus or any other manufacturer in the world would tell you not to use such drivers, and why on earth should you have to?
I think the below screenshot says it all, directly from Brian Burke and the Asus test machine.

Download the desktop drivers. They include drivers for mobile parts as well.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
If someone buys a Dell XPS desktop machine, are they expected to run the drivers that came with the card? No, anyone buying a game rig, even a noob buying a prebuilt knows to download the latest drivers.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Where's the news exactly, Nvidia tweak their drivers to trick synthetic tests anyway.

·
Premium Member
8,252 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by FieryCoD
View Post

http://www.eteknix.com/news/nvidia-r...chmark-claims/

NVIDIA responds.

Dang, their right, ATI doesn't list any new cards in their mobility series... That sucks (and something I assume they will fix pretty quick).

Quote:

If someone buys a Dell XPS desktop machine, are they expected to run the drivers that came with the card? No, anyone buying a game rig, even a noob buying a prebuilt knows to download the latest drivers.

You would think that, but people are very very stupid. People go to links in e-mails about winning free cars, people thought the "Vista Certified" monitors meant something, and people think you need that Pentium 4 @+2.0 ghz to run that CD burner from Best Buy.

I guess they just thought that after spending $2,000 for a computer that has the latest and greatest hardware, it should have the latest software too.

·
Nobody
6,466 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Licht
View Post

Download the desktop drivers. They include drivers for mobile parts as well.

But where does it say that. Even reading through the release notes it has no mention of mobile parts. The only way you can "guess" it does is by it saying "4870 X2 Series" in the release notes. And that's not very definitive.

So for the most part not very many will be thinking that. Feel free to read through it and show me where it says "mobile parts supported" http://www2.ati.com/relnotes/Catalys...ease_notes.pdf .

AMD failed at this it appears.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
The article has no pictures or anything to prove what they're saying.
Would be the same if I made an article about ATI having paid MighTV (the source) for accusing Nvidia for cheating on the benchmarks

1 - 20 of 28 Posts