Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I saw this picture on the internet, and then I wanted to do that for myself.
kmvgD.jpg

But I'm wondering if there is anything wrong with this, the way it is. Would I need more fans or something?

·
Premium Member
19,923 Posts
Also, there are slightly larger milk crates (rectangular as opposed to square).

I think that is a mighty fine idea, and you could strap fans just about anywhere... heck you could strap fans everywhere!

With a little custom fabrication you could install shelves or partitions.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whats an open air bench?
And where would you strap the fans? You just have to make them point away from the cpu right? Just so that the air goes away from it, and out?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Pretty sure you can use anything that is safe for PC stuff. I used a cardboard box as a case once on a 775 rig when I didn't have money for a case

·
Older "geezer" of OCN
2,662 Posts
[ame="[URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNRMDDw7cl4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNRMDDw7cl4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNRMDDw7cl4[/ame[/URL]]

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEATFISH;12002015
I would be worried about the motherboard pins being bent sitting on the grating like that. Add in a piece of foam, felt, etc. and it looks like a fun idea.
What are motherboard pins? What do they do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiasian;12002679
why don't you just buy an open test bench?
accomplishes the same thing, looks nicer, and is easier to use.
What is an open test bench? I dont want to do this for testing, I'm going to be using it like that permanently, because cases are expensive and such.

·
Premium Member
4,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkSith0;12012988
What are motherboard pins? What do they do?
Um seriously? They make electrical connections which allow the motherboard to function...
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkSith0;12012988
What is an open test bench? I dont want to do this for testing, I'm going to be using it like that permanently, because cases are expensive and such.
Open bench setup:

82683d1221444487-open-air-test-bench-dscf0836.jpg

Basically just a computer running outside of a case. You can buy open bench cases like the one shown above or you can just put your motherboard on a table and plug everything in and run it totally bare.

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
Zip ties solve all the worlds problems, seriously I have my 240 rad and it's fans mounted with 'em. DO IT!

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrillian;12001681
Also, there are slightly larger milk crates (rectangular as opposed to square).

I think that is a mighty fine idea, and you could strap fans just about anywhere... heck you could strap fans everywhere!

With a little custom fabrication you could install shelves or partitions.
what? fans? its full of holes.
biggrin.gif

what about the olde fish tank full of oil.now thats snazzy.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts