Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Not So Avid Enthusiast
Joined
·
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I'm not sure if this in the right area -it seemed appropriate here- and I was just wondering how I would set up a Minecraft server on a static IP. I know how to do it with Hamachi and wondered if it was kind of the same. IF it is, I have another question: How do I get or make a static ip?
 

·
Storage Nut
Joined
·
21,113 Posts
You need a static IP from you ISP. If it changes often then you will have to update teh IP every time you start the server
 

·
Not So Avid Enthusiast
Joined
·
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by SeanWebster
View Post

You need a static IP from you ISP. If it changes often then you will have to update teh IP every time you start the server

How can I tell if my IP is already static or not? Do I have to call or can I check it from my network settings? o:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,189 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by grandestfail9190
View Post

How can I tell if my IP is already static or not? Do I have to call or can I check it from my network settings? o:

If you just have a regular consumer-grade ISP then it almost certainly is dynamic rather than static.
 

·
Storage Nut
Joined
·
21,113 Posts
Check your IP:http://www.whatsmyip.org/
If it changes after a few days or a week it is dynamic.
If not it is static.

It will most likely change only if the modem powers of though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
879 Posts
If you have a dynamic IP you could use Free Dyndns.

http://dyn.com/dns/dyndns-free/

You sign up for free, give it your external I.P address (Of the machine running the server), pick a name such as "Myserver.dyndns.org" and it points players to whatever your current external I.P is


That's what we use for our private server. Easy as can be.
 

·
Not So Avid Enthusiast
Joined
·
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by Siegfried262
View Post

If you have a dynamic IP you could use Free Dyndns.

http://dyn.com/dns/dyndns-free/

You sign up for free, give it your external I.P address (Of the machine running the server), pick a name such as "Myserver.dyndns.org" and it points players to whatever your current external I.P is


That's what we use for our private server. Easy as can be.

wait I lied. It's not working. ): Can you explain the dyn thing again? It's not really working for me. D:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
879 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,482 Posts
You will never get a static IP from your ISP. It may not change often, but its possible for it to change at any time.

Buy a server if you'd like a true static IP.

And there is no work to setting up a minecraft server, its as simple as running the server file, as long as the respective ports are open.
 

·
Not So Avid Enthusiast
Joined
·
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by Siegfried262
View Post

It's been a while but you should just have to give it your external IP on the host machine.

http://checkip.dyndns.com/

Also make sure you have the proper port forwarded on your router for Minecraft traffic.

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Tu...ng_up_a_server


Quote:


Originally Posted by Ryanb213
View Post

You will never get a static IP from your ISP. It may not change often, but its possible for it to change at any time.

Buy a server if you'd like a true static IP.

And there is no work to setting up a minecraft server, its as simple as running the server file, as long as the respective ports are open.

So it wouldn't work if my port happens to be closed correct?
 

·
Storage Nut
Joined
·
21,113 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by grandestfail9190
View Post

So it wouldn't work if my port happens to be closed correct?

You need to open a port and change teh config file to include the port you forwarded.
 

·
Not So Avid Enthusiast
Joined
·
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gah. Trying my hardest to forward a darn port. >_< I punch in the TCP port number I want to open (25565) and it says it's open on my Router's config, but when I check it, it says closed. ):
 

·
Storage Nut
Joined
·
21,113 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,762 Posts
You can use dyndns to get a free domain to use and not worry about changing you IP address when it changes. Then setup your router for that domain. Easiest solution. I can write a guide for you tomorrow when I get home and on my computer instead of my phone.
 

·
Not So Avid Enthusiast
Joined
·
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by SeanWebster
View Post

Try this, it worked great for me. http://www.simpleportforwarding.com/

What I don't understand is the Start Port and the Destination Port. What would I put if the port I want to open is 25565? :c
 

·
Not So Avid Enthusiast
Joined
·
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by Siegfried262
View Post

If you just need to forward the one you can use the same # for start and destination.

Alright. I got the port forwarded, but which IP do I use? My internal or the external?
 

·
Storage Nut
Joined
·
21,113 Posts
For port forwarding use the pc's ip...for the server ip set to your external ip.
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top