Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
saw these on youtube, thought i might build one in the next few years.
does anyone have any experience with them?

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts
I looked into it once just for fun. figured out that to buy all the mineral oil I'd need to do it I could buy some lower end water cooling or high end air cooling and get the same temps without the mess.

The price of it at Sam's Club at the time was like $13 a gallon...and I had been planning on buying five gallons. Really should have been ten. So in just mineral oil I would have paid $65

Though I would have done it with old junk hardware that I would found its way to the recycle center anyway. I think I might do it yet one of these days, but I might just do it in my garage with cooking oil instead. Should work just as well...it just will stink once it gets warm.

·
Registered
7,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that would be nasty. i may do a micro one. mini atx mobo. and such

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Its good for a low-heat output build. But the original "wow" factor disappears after a few days.
Mineral oil ; just make sure what you buy is heat conductive and electrically non-conductive.
Think about putting some filters so your oil doesn't get full of dust / debris.

Also, remember that you will wear your fans down a lot more, due to the added resistance.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanstasiu View Post

Its good for a low-heat output build. But the original "wow" factor disappears after a few days.
Mineral oil ; just make sure what you buy is heat conductive and electrically non-conductive.
Think about putting some filters so your oil doesn't get full of dust / debris.
Also, remember that you will wear your fans down a lot more, due to the added resistance.
^^^agreed
I made one once. It was cool for a while but in the end it was just messy and with the cost I could have done a water cooling loop.

·
Registered
7,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well im gonna do a computer engineering course-set later on, so maybe a group project
tongue.gif

·
Registered
7,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
they look gorgeous imo

1 - 9 of 9 Posts