Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a Cooler Master Elite 130 case with an MSI H81i motherboard, my cpu is an i5 4690k non oc obviously (dont tell me about the board being non overclockable, I know that and Im not trying to oc anyway, i got a good deal on the processor so i took it.) Stock intel cooler and all stock case fans, nothing added just essentially a bare bones build.

Anyway my recent build I have made has been working out well for me except for one problem. My cpu temps seem to just be too high. My cpu will mostly stable in idle at 50c, when I am at load it generally ranges from 75-80 degrees and I have no idea why. Granted I do have a small form factor so I am showing you some pictures of my build if you guys can see anything wrong. If i need to get a small form cpu cooler I will do it however it cant be to expensive. I also do not think a liquid cooling solution is the thing for me due to money and just not wanting to have to deal with it.

This is a gaming pc for playing games and load temps are from playing games and youtube in background, I know that cooling in mini itx builds are difficult especially air cooling so I absolutely probably need help on this...as far as gaming goes, I can max out almost any game on 1080p ultra with 60 fps however I do sometimes get some stuttering not sure if its the GTX 970 which stays at 60c or the 4690k which seems to getting high temperature. If nothing else I think I should definitely be trying to get my cpu temps down, this is my first pc I have built and I think I have for the most part done it fine.

With PSU on top, not much clearance over the motherboard as you can see

No PSU on top, the side fan is intake blowing the air over the motherboard, the PSU is above with fan down so hopefully sucks the air out, GPU is on the back wall.

Overhead view, back of case is at bottom, GPU on right, all of the wires are tucked to the side to the left.

All the wires bunched up to the left and routed over the Optical drive

I am not sure what is causing my CPU to have high temps, from the second I turn on the PC the CPU is already 50c, the motherboard system in the bios is recording at 30c usually when I boot. Here are the core temps in idle and in load.

http://gyazo.com/327207f5b1097bfa6018b68a8d575599

I didnt get the screenie when it was in full load, this is after gaming and the case cover was off so it was already cooling off more than it usually would with the case on.
http://gyazo.com/dfefcb6b5052730be39e955416b85632

·
Registered
66 Posts
You are wondering why a I5-4690K, with crappy paste (on die) , stock cooler & an mItx build is having a high temperature...?
rolleyes.gif

Fix?
Better cooler & better fans.

·
Premium Member
4,653 Posts
You have an open shroud video card in that case with relatively poor airflow. So all of the heat from your GPU is being dumped over your CPU.

For an Elite 130, an external exhaust (reference) video card would give you much better temps.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booty Warrior View Post

You have an open shroud video card in that case with relatively poor airflow. So all of the heat from your GPU is being dumped over your CPU.

For an Elite 130, an external exhaust (reference) video card would give you much better temps.
Reference cards suck tho, atleast R9 290/X
rolleyes.gif

Define R4 with near perfect airflow i would say (2x140mm front/140mm exhaust back/120mm exhaust top/120mm intake bottom.

Cooler is Phanteks phtc14pe.

Reference @ stock clocks & auto/stock fan profile still hits 94c... (changed thermal paste to liquid ultra)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No Im not surprised that its the heat from the GPU and the heatsink. I have looked at other threads they all say the thermal paste you use depends on the cpu cooler you get and the cooler I would get depends on my case and specific motherboard, I also have no idea what air cooling I should get since a 212 evo is out of the question.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
External watercooling.
You will need to do some search though.
You will need
  1. Better thermal paste
  2. 360 radiator or 240 radiator desktop stand
  3. closed loop aio in 360 rad or 240 rad.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin0751 View Post

No Im not surprised that its the heat from the GPU and the ****ty heatsink, and you dont have to be a douche about it. I have looked at other threads they all say the thermal paste you use depends on the cpu cooler you get and the cooler I would get depends on my case and specific motherboard, I also have no idea what air cooling I should get since a 212 evo is out of the question.
I ment paste between the actual cpu die & IHS (the block on the cpu that reads all the info, for example I5-4690K 17491748284 Malaysia C01 etc) The black goo that intel uses to secure the IHS to the core leaves a big enough cap to affect temperatures up to 30c.

This can be fixed by de-lidding, another example :

Cooler : Phanteks phtc14pe

Cpu/s :

De-lidded I5-4670K 4.7ghz @ 1.4v - Maxed out 80c on hottest core, liquid ultra on core & mx4 on cooler (prime95 28.8 smallfft)

I5-4690K non-lid 4.7ghz @ 1.41v - mx4 paste, Instant 98-100c on IBT

·
:-)
254 Posts
Hey, I too have a stock 4670k in an Elite 130 and those idle temps are high. Mine are around 35~40 degree celsius at idle with room temp around 27 degree. While playing skyrim with around 50% CPU utilization, 60 degree celsius. While video transcoding with 100% CPU utilization around 75 degree celsius. My setup is -

1) PSU fan upwards. I have seperated PSU from inside case heat.
2) Reversed that 80mm fan on side. It's always better to exhaust hot air than suck cold air in.
3) CPU stock cooler at 100% speed. I use a headphone.

What games are you playing? I don't think any current game should put that cpu to 100% usage continuously for that kind of temps at stock. Please monitor your CPU usage while playing game and report back. If your GPU is only at 60 degrees, then its not being completely utilized . So something is definitely wrong here.

PS - You can monitor those temps and usage with a graph using HWMonitor.

Edit - I know this Is OCN and its all about pushing it to its limit but not everyone does that. Not everone uses 1.4 volt for OCing or OC at all. Recommending people to delid and watercool with 360 mm radiator (in an Elite 130
rolleyes.gif
) right off the bat is kind of extreme. CPUs do work and game with stock cooler. This may be hard to believe for OCN people but it does.

• Rep+
Reactions: Austin0751

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will report back with info when I'm back on my computer tomorrow, I was thinking about putting my psu fan up but it didn't seem to make sense but I'll try it tomorrow, I was playing dragon age, metro 2033 skyrim and league

·
:-)
254 Posts
Quote:

I will report back with info when I'm back on my computer tomorrow, I was thinking about putting my psu fan up but it didn't seem to make sense but I'll try it tomorrow, I was playing dragon age, metro 2033 skyrim and league
Okay that will definitey help. Be sure to record a graph of CPU usage. I have played all those games on my system (except league) and never did the CPU temp reach 80 degrees. It always remained around 60~65 degrees. You don't need to change the PSU fan setup. I think your setup is better. I just wanted to protect my PSU from all that extra CPU heat and that's why I did that. But do try with CPU fan @ 100%.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
66 Posts
Quote:

Isn't delidding risky and voids the warranty?
Yes and sort of no, it voids warranty, but how many cpu's have you seen breaking in the 2-3 year warranty time without excessive overvolting/self inflicted damage?

And risky?
It depends what method you use, razorblade is the riskiest one & vice/wood method is pretty foolproof.

Worth it?
In my opinion, yes 20-30c drop is MASSIVE.
Thermal wall will be gone (like on my case) and voltage will be the new limit.
<1.35v is safe i would say.

·
Premium Member
27,524 Posts
Quote:

Hello,

I have a Cooler Master Elite 130 case with an MSI H81i motherboard, my cpu is an i5 4690k non oc obviously (dont tell me about the board being non overclockable, I know that and Im not trying to oc anyway, i got a good deal on the processor so i took it.) Stock intel cooler and all stock case fans, nothing added just essentially a bare bones build.

Anyway my recent build I have made has been working out well for me except for one problem. My cpu temps seem to just be too high. My cpu will mostly stable in idle at 50c, when I am at load it generally ranges from 75-80 degrees and I have no idea why. Granted I do have a small form factor so I am showing you some pictures of my build if you guys can see anything wrong. If i need to get a small form cpu cooler I will do it however it cant be to expensive. I also do not think a liquid cooling solution is the thing for me due to money and just not wanting to have to deal with it.

This is a gaming pc for playing games and load temps are from playing games and youtube in background, I know that cooling in mini itx builds are difficult especially air cooling so I absolutely probably need help on this...as far as gaming goes, I can max out almost any game on 1080p ultra with 60 fps however I do sometimes get some stuttering not sure if its the GTX 970 which stays at 60c or the 4690k which seems to getting high temperature. If nothing else I think I should definitely be trying to get my cpu temps down, this is my first pc I have built and I think I have for the most part done it fine.
With PSU on top, not much clearance over the motherboard as you can see

No PSU on top, the side fan is intake blowing the air over the motherboard, the PSU is above with fan down so hopefully sucks the air out, GPU is on the back wall.

Overhead view, back of case is at bottom, GPU on right, all of the wires are tucked to the side to the left.

All the wires bunched up to the left and routed over the Optical drive

I am not sure what is causing my CPU to have high temps, from the second I turn on the PC the CPU is already 50c, the motherboard system in the bios is recording at 30c usually when I boot. Here are the core temps in idle and in load.

http://gyazo.com/327207f5b1097bfa6018b68a8d575599

I didnt get the screenie when it was in full load, this is after gaming and the case cover was off so it was already cooling off more than it usually would with the case on.
http://gyazo.com/dfefcb6b5052730be39e955416b85632
Trying to put a gaming system in these small cases with extremely limited airflow is a common mistake. We need at the very least as much case airflow as CPU and GPU coolers move. In this build you have 2x 92mm fans on GPU and another fan on CPU .. approximately 120-140cfm of airflow. Case only has 1x 120mm vent and 1x 80mm vent making it nearly impossible to move as much air though the case as components need.

Add to this that stock CPU cooler is pushing air down inward motherboard where it turns out, hits GPU. RAM, I/O housings turning up by cooler and fan sucks this heated air back in.

If you turn your PSU over so it is drawing air from above the CPU and get a CPU cooler with fan pulling air out / up from CPU the PSU will draw the CPU cooler exhaust in and discharge it out the back.

I'm not familiar with stock cooler, but you might be able to flip the fan and secure it with zip-ties .. or use a different fan to try my above suggestion. My experience is CPU temps generally drop 5-8c.

You may find the links in my sig to cooling helpful.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes putting gaming systems into mini itx builds is obviously not ideal, however I had very specific dimensions required for my pc and it needed to be portable so therefore this is why I have this case.

I actually think I have found out what the issue is with the idle temps, I had core parking turned off so my minimum cpu speed was set to 100% I had no idea this was on.

I have put up the cpu fans to 100% and flipped the side fan to exhaust with core parking back on default so my idle temps are around 35c now.

I have played an hour of gameplay, I have monitored the CPU using HW Monitor and these are the logs from the middle of gameplay. The last bit of seconds in the log is when I got to cutscene. This is in dragon age inquisition. I have also added in the GPU logs.

·
Premium Member
27,524 Posts
The problem isn't the small case. The problem is the extremely limited airflow your case has.

As long as you are happy, enjoy!
thumb.gif

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Im assuming there isnt much I can do as far as the air flow goes, the PSU fan is facing down and should be pulling the air from the CPU up, the side fan is also exhaust the room air should theoretically be coming from the front fan. What do you suppose would be the best small form factor CPU cooler and thermal paste to get for this pc?

·
Premium Member
27,524 Posts
Quote:

Yes that case probably does seem better for airflow, I dont think my PSU would fit in it if I tried to switch however. My psu is https://pcpartpicker.com/part/ocz-power-supply-oczzt550w.

Probably need to throw in a better cooler in this case and wait until I am upgrading the PC to really address the air flow concerns by getting another case.
A better cooler will probably help.

User Mariolillo built a near silent Silverstone RVZ01 gaming system.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

Trying to put a gaming system in these small cases with extremely limited airflow is a common mistake. We need at the very least as much case airflow as CPU and GPU coolers move. In this build you have 2x 92mm fans on GPU and another fan on CPU .. approximately 120-140cfm of airflow. Case only has 1x 120mm vent and 1x 80mm vent making it nearly impossible to move as much air though the case as components need.

Add to this that stock CPU cooler is pushing air down inward motherboard where it turns out, hits GPU. RAM, I/O housings turning up by cooler and fan sucks this heated air back in.

If you turn your PSU over so it is drawing air from above the CPU and get a CPU cooler with fan pulling air out / up from CPU the PSU will draw the CPU cooler exhaust in and discharge it out the back.

I'm not familiar with stock cooler, but you might be able to flip the fan and secure it with zip-ties .. or use a different fan to try my above suggestion. My experience is CPU temps generally drop 5-8c.

You may find the links in my sig to cooling helpful.
So if I were to get a better front case fan it probably wouldnt help anyway because I do not have enough venting? How would I vent better in this case without getting liquid cooling, I have to bring this computer on an airplane so I'm assuming its not a good idea to get water cooling.

The only venting options I have are my PSU and the small 60mm fan on the side I'm assuming.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts