Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, can you recommend me a cheap motherboard for Intel Pentium G3258? I would like to overclock it at least to 4.0-4.2ghz. My budget is $60-100, but the cheaper the better. I still need to buy a mini ITX case. And I'm trying to keep the build as cheap as possible.

I'm trying to upgrade my daughter's computer to do some MineCraft gaming over the break while replacing cpu/motherboard and case to save some space.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Unless you need the extra features, no need to spend the extra money IMO.

I literally just went through this and ordered an ECS board first that wouldnt boot. Replaced it with the Asrock H81M-ITX. Was shipped with the latest bios, boot great, and sitting at 4.4ghz now and have more headroom to go.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooping^fish View Post

Unless you need the extra features, no need to spend the extra money IMO.

I literally just went through this and ordered an ECS board first that wouldnt boot. Replaced it with the Asrock H81M-ITX. Was shipped with the latest bios, boot great, and sitting at 4.4ghz now and have more headroom to go.
That's what I would like to do, I'm really trying to spend the least I can and get most of the money I can when I sell the current cpu/mobo. One of the concerns I have is if they are not shipped with the latest BIOS will still see the cpu fine and able to boot? If that's the case I could then upgrade the BIOS myself.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I also worried about that a lot, which got worse when the first (ecs) board was shipped with an old and imcompatible BIOS. However, the asrock board above from new egg shipped with the latest bios and allowed me to over clock out of the box. It also does not have the 1.2v vcore limit like the GB boards - so you can push your chip as far as you want.

Also chose the board though as personally it doesn't make sense to spend more on the mobo than the processor. As an office computer, even as a very budget build it is way overkill.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
A friend of mine is using an H81i-plus for his G3258 @ 4.2ghz without problems. You might want to check on that as well. My secondary rig is also using a G3258, but I'm not using an ITX board, but an H81M-E instead. Runs 4.2ghz without problems as well.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will be upgrading from a Phenom II 830 X4 2.8ghz to Intel G3258. All my daughter does is play Minecraft, Paint, Youtube, Starfall Educational Sites and XBMC once I set it up. The reason I'm upgrading is because the INtel G3258 uses less power and will probably be faster once overclocked to 4.0-2Ghz. Cheap little upgrade after I sell her cpu/mobo

I do like the idea of spending at least as possible as long as I get a motherboard that can push it to 4.0-4.2Ghz.

I'm currently looking at:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157451&cm_re=Ashrock_1150_mini_itx-_-13-157-451-_-Product

And

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157526&cm_re=Ashrock_1150_mini_itx-_-13-157-526-_-Product
I like that it has a Wifi card and with the $15 off 75 + the 10 Rebate the price should be not that bad.

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
6,242 Posts
not sure how well the pentium will run minecraft the on-chip gpu may not handle it very well but other then that i think the asrock looks like a good choice if you need the Wifi
smile.gif

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozlay View Post

not sure how well the pentium will run minecraft the on-chip gpu may not handle it very well but other then that i think the asrock looks like a good choice if you need the Wifi
smile.gif
I will reuse the 7770 and plays Minecraft decently.

Looks like that's my best bet... the first Asrock is like $73 after taxes and shipping. The second one is about the same price AR and coupon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodalink View Post

Hey guys, can you recommend me a cheap motherboard for Intel Pentium G3258? I would like to overclock it at least to 4.0-4.2ghz. My budget is $60-100, but the cheaper the better. I still need to buy a mini ITX case. And I'm trying to keep the build as cheap as possible.

I'm trying to upgrade my daughter's computer to do some MineCraft gaming over the break while replacing cpu/motherboard and case to save some space.
hey bro I have thermaltake core v1 mini itx case ill sell it to u

·
Registered
393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksniperbear View Post

hey bro I have thermaltake core v1 mini itx case ill sell it to u
This posting was made 2 years ago so I'm pretty sure he probably figured out a case by now. Not sure if you missed 2014 and just saw 12/18 as the date?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts