Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I received a new MiniITX motherboard as a gift.

The build is as follows:
⇨MB ASUS H87I-Plus ☑
⇨CPU i7 4770 NoK ☑
⇨Noctua NH-U14S ☑
⇨Corsair CMZ16GX3M2A1600C9 DDR3 16GB/1600MHz/2x8GB ☑
⇨Palit GTX770 OC ☑
⇨Chieftec 650W PSU (CFT-650-14CS) ☑
⇨HDD 1 Samsung Spinpoint 7200 TB + 2 x 160 = 320 GB Maxtors GB @ raid 0 ☑
⇨SSD KINGSTON SV300 S37A 120GB ☑

Does this small motherboard limit my rig somehow, besides the fact it lacks slots and many MB fan connectors?

Benchmarks seem good, games also...

Just for comparison my old rig up until now was:

EP45T-UD3R
Q6600 @ 3.60GHz (9x400) w CM Gemin II+14 cm fan
4GB RAM
Sapphire HD 4850 OC
2x160 GB SATA RAID 0
650W Chieftec
TT Soprano

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for your swift response.
From what I have heard some small form factor mobos could be low on features, have crippled slots, etc, however this does not seem to be the case with my own board.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for this video it made my day.
Can I somehow "lock" the turbo @ 3.9 via a software tool or via the BIOS when playing games or it is best not to mess with it?

I see it does not go to 3.9, but it fluctuates from 3.6 to 3.9 when playing Metro Last Light.

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
The smaller form factor will often lack "features" such as more SATA ports, less memory slots, and less PCI-E slots. As long as you don't have the need for those features, it will perform like any other motherboard.

Some ITX boards can also overclock nicely.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The resolution is 1920 x 1080 (native for my monitor 27" Dell S2740L)

I have not updated the motherboard's nor the GPU's BIOS, also I do not want to run it at 3899 MHz 24/7 (via the BIOS).

I was looking for a temporary way to "Lock it" in its turbo mode (3.8 GHz) via a software tool like SetFSB, Speedfan etc, only while playing games.
AFAIK the CPU goes up to form 3.4 to (3.5, 3.6, 3.6 and 3.8) and 3.9 when under appropriate load and if not overheating...

I see a lot of fluctuations in the speed between cores when i monitor it, but in the games it is butter smooth.

I was wondering it locking it at 3.9 would be better than the constant bouncing of the frequency it does automatically.

But it is no biggie - i am happy with it so far.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by petkow View Post

The resolution is 1920 x 1080 (native for my monitor 27" Dell S2740L)

I have not updated the motherboard's nor the GPU's BIOS, also I do not want to run it at 3899 MHz 24/7 (via the BIOS).

I was looking for a temporary way to "Lock it" in its turbo mode (3.8 GHz) via a software tool like SetFSB, Speedfan etc, only while playing games.
AFAIK the CPU goes up to form 3.4 to (3.5, 3.6, 3.6 and 3.8) and 3.9 when under appropriate load and if not overheating...

I see a lot of fluctuations in the speed between cores when i monitor it, but in the games it is butter smooth.

I was wondering it locking it at 3.9 would be better than the constant bouncing of the frequency it does automatically.

But it is no biggie - i am happy with it so far.
Letting it bounce around should be no problem at all! It saves power and your cpu can easily ramp up dynamically for different loads, Haha if you don't want to leave it running like that 24/7 on a base clock bump I would suggest not using a program to do your "overclocking" and just leaving it as is! You'll save power and it's less hassle. And even if you were able to lock it at 3.9 the difference between that and stock settings that dynamically change shouldn't even be noticeable! Most people lock clock speed and voltage for stability sake
smile.gif

Just overclock your GPU that's where you can see a more noticeable difference
smile.gif

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
I wanted to know the resolution since people still keep low resolution for video cards like 770gtx/r9 280x or better,I didnt see you psu,it`s CWT unit was thinking it was a bad quality psu

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Code:

Code:
And even if you were able to lock it at 3.9 the difference between that and stock settings that dynamically change shouldn't even be noticeable! Most people lock clock speed and voltage for stability sake smile.gif

Just overclock your GPU that's where you can see a more noticeable difference smile.gif
YES!
thanks this made my day rep+

1 - 12 of 12 Posts