Overclock.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if the forum could sport a more versatile and minimalistic interface.

I find things a little cluttered, and, probably even more-so since I'm running at 640x480:

LL

·
Perfection @ 4GHz
2,517 Posts
Is setting screen to run 1024 X 768 possible for your system?

Most web sites (as least I'm certain many in the past) are designed to run optimally at 1024 X 768 screen resolution, and quite some of them are/were designed for correct display in I.E...

I'm using Firefox on all the computers these days.

P.S. Welcome to OCN EverythingIBM!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep I indeed can run this computer in 1024x768 (all the way up to 2048x1024 -- but then it would have to be 256 colours haha: I'll need to upgrade the gfx card later).

Thankyou for the welcome.

Resolution isn't necessarily a concern -- it's just a good way to test clutter: I often test my websites on older computers in low resolutions to see how they would look.

I think some of the icons and tables are rather bigger than needed: a lot of other forums I browse tend to use "smaller" and cleaner interfaces. But hey, some people would probably argue the opposite.

I'm using opera 10 because it's the only thing compatible with windows 9x these days (not to mention incredibly fast on this old beater). IE is just absolutely terrible: yes a lot of websites are made comforming to IE's standards -- but only because so many people use it... hopefully future releases of IE are better.

·
Administrator
64,479 Posts
May sound blunt.

The Normal PC version of the forum IMO is not cluttered and to be honest its kind of the fault of the user trying to view ..well anything at 640X480. That resolution is heavily outdated really and websites cannot realistically be expected to conform to such resolutions.

A mobile version of the site would be more suitable for your needs.

·
Premium Member
11,334 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE
View Post

May sound blunt.

The Normal PC version of the forum IMO is not cluttered and to be honest its kind of the fault of the user trying to view ..well anything at 640X480. That resolution is heavily outdated really and websites cannot realistically be expected to conform to such resolutions.

A mobile version of the site would be more suitable for your needs.

Bingo.

·
Premium Member
22,005 Posts
Its not pretty at all, but, perhaps this will work for you until we have our mobile site up and running:

http://www.overclock.net/archive/index.php

From the archive, you can't post but at least finding threads of interest might be a little easier.

·
Premium Member
29,533 Posts
If you enable wide mode in your User CP it should become a bit more readable. This can also be changed on a per-computer basis by using the drop-down box in the left part of the black box in the bottom of the site.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.