Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When it comes to overclocking does the PSU get more "stress" from pushing a cpu for more cycles at stock voltage or from raising the vcore voltage in general?

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by x86-64

When it comes to overclocking does the PSU get more "stress" from pushing a cpu for more cycles at stock voltage or from raising the vcore voltage in general?

The PSU does give out more power when Ocing a computer, that is why it is always recommended to get a PSU that is 100W beyond your curent needs.
The extra 100W will cover you for OCing and if you get other components.

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by aznchowboy650

does psu adjust how much power is used or like if u get a 250w it always give out 250

As stated on your PSU, whatever the rating is is the MAXIMUM OUTPUT, I would not dare to press a PSU past the max output level.

Edit:
As per my knowledge the PSU will always try to give full power to all connections, but when it returns to the PSU it is recycled to the plugs that are pulling power.

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by aznchowboy650

wat i mean is like pretend u have a 600watt psu but u only use 400 watts does the psu still give use 600watts from the plug or only 400 watts

Energy never dies it just changes form, in the case of electrical energy if it goes to an unused plug it cannot just dissipate, it is recycled to a plug that uses power. Your PSU will only give out the amount of power which your system can consume, so the 600 will only give the 400 which is needed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts