Overclock.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I would like to say that this is, in my humble opinion, the best mouse I've ever used. Having experience with Logitech G500, G9x, Microsoft Sidewinder X6, R.A.T. 9, and the Razer Deathadder, I have to say that this is my favorite. This is not to say that it would please everyone else, for example different users have different grip preferences.

However for me, the grip, tracking, LOD, button placement, design & tasteful illumination all culminate to a great mouse.

I do unfortunately, have 2 issues:
  • When this mouse is plugged into the same hub as that of my speakers, I get this strange static every time I move the mouse. Is there anyway to remedy this? it can be quite annoying.
  • It doesn't seem to happen much anymore, unsure why, but consistent use of this mouse would have my hands get a bit warm, sometimes sweaty-feeling; not something one would want for a mouse I'd imagine.

·
Registered
241 Posts
The Naos 5000 is a great mouse, love the ergonomics, just make sure to use a hard mousepad with it, as tracking on cloth mousepads is not as good.

Regarding your issues:
- Don't use a USB hub with your mouse, always plug it into the back of the computer directly, and make sure it is a USB 2.0 port. It sounds like you are getting some electrical noise that is causing the static in your speakers. The Naos includes a ferrite choke on the mouse cord (that black cylinder on the cord, near the USB connector) to help suppress electrical noise that can cause interference, but your USB hub's cord might not have a ferrite choke on it, so the electrical noise might be radiated from there. You can get clip-on ferrite chokes on eBay pretty cheap, like $2-3, just look for one with the same inside diameter as your cord. TDK is a good and popular brand of ferrite choke. The other thing that could be causing your speaker interference can be the graphics card, especially when the graphics card is working hard, as in gaming, because it is then pulling a lot of current, and can radiate more electrical noise. Does your mouse cause interference with your speakers at the Windows desktop, just moving around, or only gaming? Take care on your internal PC wiring, to keep the graphics card supplemental PCIE power cables as far away as possible from everything else, especially the front panel audio jack wiring; if they are close to each other, you can get some coupling that will lead electrical noise into your soundcard or onboard sound solution through the front panel audio cabling.
- regarding the heat issue, I'm not too sure what the trouble could be, because I never noticed any of this, so I will take a wild guess. The Naos 5000 has a lot of LED's, and the color can be programmed. Each LED is actually three LED's in a single package element, a red one, a blue one and a green one. Just like an RGB monitor, these RGB LED's can be controlled to synthesize different colors by combining the red, green and blue at different power or intensity levels. If your color of choice is anything other than red, green or blue, multiple LED's (within an LED package element) will be turned on, and it may very well emit more heat, along with the corresponding driver transistors and current limiting resistors. Yeah, I did a lot of reverse-engineering on my Naos 5000, when I decided to frankenmouse it, to get the LED's working. See the attached pic of the top circuit board, which is obviously the one closest to your palm. My gaming rig is blue-themed, so on mine, I only have one of the three LED's in each package element turned on, which might help keep it cooler.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricDelta;14168507
The Naos 5000 is a great mouse, love the ergonomics, just make sure to use a hard mousepad with it, as tracking on cloth mousepads is not as good.

Regarding your issues:
- Don't use a USB hub with your mouse, always plug it into the back of the computer directly, and make sure it is a USB 2.0 port. It sounds like you are getting some electrical noise that is causing the static in your speakers. The Naos includes a ferrite choke on the mouse cord (that black cylinder on the cord, near the USB connector) to help suppress electrical noise that can cause interference, but your USB hub's cord might not have a ferrite choke on it, so the electrical noise might be radiated from there. You can get clip-on ferrite chokes on eBay pretty cheap, like $2-3, just look for one with the same inside diameter as your cord. TDK is a good and popular brand of ferrite choke. The other thing that could be causing your speaker interference can be the graphics card, especially when the graphics card is working hard, as in gaming, because it is then pulling a lot of current, and can radiate more electrical noise. Does your mouse cause interference with your speakers at the Windows desktop, just moving around, or only gaming? Take care on your internal PC wiring, to keep the graphics card supplemental PCIE power cables as far away as possible from everything else, especially the front panel audio jack wiring; if they are close to each other, you can get some coupling that will lead electrical noise into your soundcard or onboard sound solution through the front panel audio cabling.
- regarding the heat issue, I'm not too sure what the trouble could be, because I never noticed any of this, so I will take a wild guess. The Naos 5000 has a lot of LED's, and the color can be programmed. Each LED is actually three LED's in a single package element, a red one, a blue one and a green one. Just like an RGB monitor, these RGB LED's can be controlled to synthesize different colors by combining the red, green and blue at different power or intensity levels. If your color of choice is anything other than red, green or blue, multiple LED's (within an LED package element) will be turned on, and it may very well emit more heat, along with the corresponding driver transistors and current limiting resistors. Yeah, I did a lot of reverse-engineering on my Naos 5000, when I decided to frankenmouse it, to get the LED's working. See the attached pic of the top circuit board, which is obviously the one closest to your palm. My gaming rig is blue-themed, so on mine, I only have one of the three LED's in each package element turned on, which might help keep it cooler.
Extremely informative, thank you.

Unfortunately, the mouse cable isn't long enough to reach the back of my computer; the desktop is positioned in a weird way, I'll attach a picture showing this. So what I've done is connected my mouse, as well as my speakers (as they weren't long enough either) to my monitor, and connected that to the computer. The noise is actually inaudible when gaming, due to the the music/gameplay being more dominant than the static. It's mostly noticeable when on the desktop/browsing, but only if I have my speakers on a med-high volume, otherwise it cannot be heard.

As far as the heat goes, I never gave thought to the LEDs producing heat, I'll try gaming with it off to see what results I get. But originally I had concluded that it was because of the unique coating that the mouse supports, which in long-term use would often create more heat than others, I am unsure on this though.

Additional Information
  • I use a Razer Vespula as a mouse mat
  • 1800 DPI seems to be the sweet spot for me. It is set to the 2nd programmable option, so if I ever need it higher or lower (rarely) I can just change it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I would still recommend to hook the mouse directly to the rear of the PC, you'd be better off with a simple USB extension cord, rather than go through the hub. If the noise is only happening, for example, when you scroll up and down, then the source is likely to be the graphics card, and re-routing the power cables to the graphics card will usually sort this. If you have an add-on sound card, it might make sense to move it to another PCI (or PCI-E, whichever you have), to get it physically further away from the graphics card.

Actually, the LED's themselves should be fairly cool, but each of the three colors has a current limiting resistor, that dissipates power (as heat) when that color is on. It's not much, but might be noticeable. The rubber coating may also just seem warmer, if you are used to hard plastic.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
New issue..

The software is driving me absolutely nuts, such garbage.. I guess this mouse had to have a vice eventually.

Whenever I make changes in the software, everything seems to work fine, until the next system restart. When that happens, the mouse sensitivity is set to the lowest possible setting, and the scrolling set to the highest; The DPI & color settings stay the same. Why is this? I have no idea but it keeps happening regardless of anything I do/try.

Also, to add to the mix, said software crashes 7 out of 10 times I try to use it, this almost always happens when I try to apply, or hit "OK" for certain settings to take affect; the result being the software crashing, and settings not being properly executed.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I never had any trouble with the Mionix Naos software, so I can't really comment on that. The scroll speed is a Windows setting, it is not actually stored on the mouse. The DPI settings are stored on the mouse, but the sensitivity setting is not, it is also a Windows setting. It sounds like your Windows settings are being reset, when you boot your computer. If you have any other old mouse software installed on your computer (Logitech Setpoint, Razer, Microsoft Intellipoint, etc.), I would suggest to uninstall it, as maybe one of these is overriding the Windows setting. I would also suggest to uninstall and re-install the Mionix software (re-download it, just in case it was corrupted), using "Run as Administrator", and to temporarily disable any anti-virus protection during re-installation. Good Luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts