Overclock.net banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Twitch Streamer
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey, guys. I am currently trying to figure out how to get Miracast enabled on a PC (it works on my spare PC (this is a business class Dell XPS.. so i'm assuming this is why it's working right out of the box. but I want it on my gaming PC). I'm a little confused as to HOW this works. My Dell XPS just picked up everything right away (only connected to ethernet. not connected to wifi). my gaming PC has been making me jump through hoops. Apparently, one part is that you HAVE to have a wireless USB dongle attached to the PC? It's weird. But it's finally showing the "connect to wireless display" in the display settings, but it's not showing the TV. Iv'e googled around and i'm seeing conflicting answers as to if there are specific wireless USB dongles that work with miracast.. Can any W10 PC use miracast or does this PC have something my XPS doesnt? Can anyone fill in some of the cracks that Google is leaving out? Id'e really appreciate it. Thanks!

·
Registered
71 Posts
From what I remember when I was doing similar research in 2014-ish, Windows 8 machines that shipped with WiFi that had NDIS 6.3 or higher would work with microsoft's own Wireless Display Adapter.

I tried to track down any pci-e network cards that would be able to support miracast but it was a pain in the ass.
Some intel network adapters used their own Wi-Di protocol that would work with certain devices released around the time Windows 8/8.1, but since everyone switched in favor of miracast, those devices like my old roku stopped working projecting wirelessly once on windows 10. I also managed to find a pci-e network card that I put in a friends computer to be able to do wireless projecting but it would have drop out connections that I couldn't pinpoint what it might be, whether it was because the PCH on the motherboard was stopping it from getting a constant stream, or the router/wifi connection was spotty. I was going purely of the spec sheet of the network card as information on WiDi/Miracast was even more scarce back then.

I don't specifically know why projecting HAS to be tied to wireless network, but it seems like a "it has to have it" sort of ordeal. This information is also knowledge I learned back in like 2015 or so, maybe newer wifi pcie cards/usb dongles have gotten a lot better and I never bothered to figure the solution.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts