Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:

Aerodynamic experts from NASA's Ames Investigation Centre stated the Jabulani becomes unpredictable at speeds above 44mph.

They also blamed the ball's light weight of just 440 grams for the poor flight and lack of consistency, known as the 'knuckle effect'.

NASA also believe the altitude could have increased the unpredictable nature of the ball, as most stadiums in South Africa are 1,000 metres above sea level.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news...cle517905.html

Update: Video

YouTube- The Adidas Jabulani, The Worst Soccer Ball in World Cup History
See? Your team didn't get eliminated because they sucked, it was the football.

·
Banned
10,584 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wavefunction
View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by nathris
View Post

See? Your team didn't get eliminated because they sucked, it was the vuvuzelas

Fixed.

Double-fixed

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
You know what I hate. How people from other countries always have to be like you guys, you americans, most decent americans could care less what country your from and would never sterotype. Everyone has to suffer because our out of control government, that is apparently the same power structure world around. I'll tell you what one day everyone is gonna see that we're all the same and the deception is the creation of all these illusions of differences.

End rant.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillmiester
View Post

You know what I hate. How people from other countries always have to be like you guys, you americans, most decent americans could care less what country your from and would never sterotype. Everyone has to suffer because our out of control government, that is apparently the same power structure world around. I'll tell you what one day everyone is gonna see that we're all the same and the deception is the creation of all these illusions of differences.

End rant.

And how has this to do with the behaviour of the world cup football when reaching speeds over 44mph?

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicBox
View Post

And how has this to do with the behaviour of the world cup football when reaching speeds over 44mph?

English?

·
Starting to become a BOFH
10,471 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicBox
View Post

The ball doesn't stay in it's intended flight path. It moves in mid-flight to another end point, thus making it more difficult for goalkeepers to catch the ball.

·
Premium Member
4,953 Posts
^^ I think he was talking to Dill, as in what does his post have to do with this thread?

EDIT: to slow, but yeah, that's what he meant

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by legoman786
View Post

The ball doesn't stay in it's intended flight path. It moves in mid-flight to another end point, thus making it more difficult for goalkeepers to catch the ball.

The point was to make it harder for the goalkeeper so there would be goals. More goals = more excitment.

·
Registered
948 Posts
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/486720...astic_goal_hd/

Looks pretty straight to me. and @ 64pmh.

Not much in the news though, so let's flog that dead horse a lil more.

EDIT: Simple question if it becomes unstable above that speed: Why?

Would that have been too technical for them to ask, or even report on?

That said, if Craig Johnston, ex-Liverpool and Predator Boot inventor, wrote a 12page open letter, then maybe it's important enough to consider next time.

EDIT2: Also, does anyone else feel that this adds weight to the theory that Football is slowly being subverted to be more 'tiki taki', and suiting teams like Spain. Fouls are easier to commit, conning the ref is rarely punished, the ball suits a team which plays short direct passing, defenders have to be even more aware of what they can & can't do.

Sure it's looks good on tv (well, aside from the fact Spain haven't been watchable for the first 45 mins all tournament), but the last decade has truly seen the more 'Championship/JohnHartson' style of play sidelined. Probably just as well though considering the injuries though, I can't imagine anyone surviving a run-in with Gentile in the excuses they have for footy boots these days.

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

The point was to make it harder for the goalkeeper so there would be goals. More goals = more excitment.

Except that more often than not the ball flies out of the stadium, making it much easier for the goalkeeper.

Its basically adding an element of random chance to a game renowned for being all about control and precision.

I've lost count of how many times I've seen sure goals go off target because the ball flew off in an odd direction. It it happened only a few times I would blame the player, but honestly what are the odds that nearly every star striker in the world suddenly forgets how to kick a ball?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nathris
View Post

See? Your team didn't get eliminated because they sucked, it was the football.

I was referencing my post from that.

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillmiester View Post
I was referencing my post from that.

Yea.. I'm still not sure what you're talking about here.

What does me poking fun at football fans have to do with the US government?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts