Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I notice I have not much space left on my HDD's and highlighted everything in each and checked how much each has used up... On the first HDD I have 7GB just simply missing... It is not in the used or free space. The other HDD has about 5GB missing...<br><br>
What could cause this? (Besides HDD's breaking)... As I recall something similar happening before and reformatting just fixing it.. But I really don't want to reformat right now...

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
You're not missing anything.<br><br>
First of all, to check for space simply go to "my computer" and right click on c:/ and click properties...<br><br>
Second of all, the way HDDs are rated is misleading. 100GB in HDD manufacturers terms means 100,000,000 bytes...when in reality, 1024 bytes = a megabyte, etc.....so it's the terms in the conversion that makes the space "disappear"...cept it was never there to begin with.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Yea, its a joke why HDD and DVD manufactors do this, I mean its not 1000 bytes to a megabyte, its just not I tell you! Just because it looks better is no reason. GPU and RAM companies dont do this. Its like me selling something and saying its 100 cents but in my world 100 cents equals $10, so its not $1 but $10 :S

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
... But I had this space to begin with.. Now it is gone... and yes I know how to check for space I was explaining what I did...

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>zZealoT</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">... But I had this space to begin with.. Now it is gone... and yes I know how to check for space I was explaining what I did...</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
<br>
Ok, hre's omething simple.<br><br>
Tell us the "size" of your HDD, and the exact amount of missing space. I pretty much guarantee we're all right....lol

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Two HDD's both 40GB (which turn out to be 39GB and 37GB when they are blank/reformatted with nothing on them no windows or any of that) first one has 7GB missing second has 5GB missing.<br><br>
Must sleep check replys later XD

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Disk Clean up, right click on each hard drive in my computer and see what you can salvage.

·
Registered
554 Posts
NTFS reserves space for the expansion of the Master File Table. On my system it's 8GB. That could be what your missing.

·
Registered
554 Posts
<div style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px">Quote:</div>
<table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="99%">
<tr>
<td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset">

<div>
Originally Posted by <strong>atomicfission92</strong>

</div>
<div style="font-style:italic">Paging Files!!</div>

</td>
</tr>
</table>
</div>I'm fairly sure you can only have one paging file.

·
Registered
554 Posts
<tr>

<div>
Originally Posted by <strong>atomicfission92</strong>

</div>
<div style="font-style:italic">Nope, I had 5. Lol one on each one of my partitions. Don't ask why XP did that.</div>

</td>
</tr>
</table>
</div>How weird. Why on earth would you want more than one? Wouldn't that slow the over all system down? I've never even heard of more than one being possible (I believe you, just never heard of it.)

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
<tr>

<div>
Originally Posted by <strong>The Llama</strong>

</div>
<div style="font-style:italic">How weird. Why on earth would you want more than one? Wouldn't that slow the over all system down? I've never even heard of more than one being possible (I believe you, just never heard of it.)</div>

</td>
</tr>
</table>
</div> <br />
I have no clue, I deleted them all except for one. I don't think it really hurt performance any. But yea to the OP, I would check out your paging files. That might be it.

·
Banned
931 Posts
He might have also made another partition on the hdd sometime before. I don't think that would explain the entire other hdd "missing" tho.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have one page file which is currently at 3GB (double my RAM) and is on the HDD that does not have windows XP to increase performance. Also I included the pagefile in the total space used up o_O I will try disk cleanup... By the way I am fairly sure I had this space to begin with at the start of this reformat o_O

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Guys.. just noticed my system restore for each HDD is set to 4.5GB allowed useage... This might be part of the problem...

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
lol yea that is probally it. See its just microsoft hiding stuff on your computer from you. They don't want you to beable to use all of your hard drive space. Kidding obviously.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quick question, where is the system restore data located so I can check to see if it is indeed this and whether or not it was included when I checked to see how much space I had used to begin with.

·
Registered
554 Posts
<tr>

<div>
Originally Posted by <strong>zZealoT</strong>

</div>
<div style="font-style:italic">Quick question, where is the system restore data located so I can check to see if it is indeed this and whether or not it was included when I checked to see how much space I had used to begin with.</div>

</td>
</tr>
</table>
</div>It's in the system volume information folder on the C drive. In order to see it you may need to do the tools/folder options dealie in explorer. Go to the view tab and show hidden files and folders and also uncheck the hide protected operating system files options. (Depending on the OS you may need to do 0, 1, or all of these.) Then right click and hit properties. If that shows 0kb you may have to set the security permissions to allow you to look inside. Right click/ properties/ securities tab. Add your login name to the list and give full permissions.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, it comes up as 0kb yeah so this might be the data hogger... I am assuming it does not need that much space... So I am probably going to halve it. Also, there is no option for me to acess it, only an option to share it on the network. I am using winXP HE SP2 btw

1 - 20 of 23 Posts